1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping engines

Discussion in 'General' started by gpstar748, Mar 1, 2018.

1. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

How do you guys ship engines and who do you use?

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

How big is it and how much does it weigh?

3. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

R1 engine

4. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

I made a homemade pallet out of 2x4's and plywood. Used eyebolts and tie downs to secure the motor. Then boxed it in with more 2x4's and plywood. Shipped it via Forward Air from Pittsburgh to California and arrived in perfect shape.

5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Look into Greyhound too if the two of you have nearby terminals it can be cheap. Otherwise FedEx, or any other LTL freight company. Be sure to call around for the best rates. The pricing is worse than airplanr tickets.

6. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

2x4 and osb, put down a few layers of great stuff expandable foam on the bottom, let it semi harden and then place the engine on top, add some cross bracing and stuff the shit out of any voids with foam/cardboard, then spray some great stuff in the crevices for good measure. I shipped mine from FL to AL using an LTL carrier, think it was around 150, crate and zx10 motor weighed in at 250lb's but it arrived unscathed.

[​IMG]

G Dawg and BigBird like this.
  7. Kyle602

Kyle602 Well-Known Member

I usually build a crate, put a couple of old take off tires under it to help cushion, and strap it down with a couple of tie downs.
    Then strap to a pallet.
    I've had pretty good luck using U-ship or freightquote.
    Prices are much cheaper if shipping to / from a business with loading dock or trucking terminal.

8. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

What he said. I've done it 2x with no issues.

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. loser

loser Well-Known Member

Put the engine in a heavy garbage bag, get a big rubbermaid tote, spray in some great stuff foam, put bagged motor on top of the foam then spray in some more around the sides, then packing peanuts or cardboard or foam or whatever. drill some holes to ziptie the lid in place, then Fedex ground freight or UPS or whoever you want.

dtalbott likes this.
  11. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Completely disassemble the motor.

Throw motor parts carelessly into tupperware container that will break.

Pick up tupperware container, as it breaks try to catch at least a camshaft or piston.

Sweep up motor parts into pile with pushbroom, making sure to scratch the everliving shit out of motor internals and case mating surfaces.

Get yelled at and run off by fuming mad boss.

Return to work tomorrow to 'fix' more bikes. 'Fired?! That was yesterday.'

badmoon692008 and mike-guy like this.
  12. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Brandon...try Fastenal. Cheap as chips!

At least get a quote and post the result here for posterity.

Jedb likes this.
  13. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

This is what you need and best way to ship motor. My brother owns salvage bike shop and has shipped 100's of motors like this.

-Wood Pallet (plastic if shipping to some international ports)
    -2 big plastic bin from home depot
    -sheet of that green foam board that they put on sides of houses
    -1 big 55 gallon garbage bag.
    -2 ratchet strap tie downs.

1. Put one big plastic bin on pallet.
    2. Wrap motor in garbage bag.
    3. Put motor in bin.
    4. Cut foam board with razor blade and stuff it around motor.
    5. Put other bin upside down on first bin.
    6. Zip tie bins together on edge.
    7. Put 2 ratchet strap tie downs over top bins and strap them down.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

@gpstar748
    This is the way to go. Was less than $150 to ship a Mille engine from PDX to West VA.

www.fastenal.com
    Click on "Other Services" then click "3PL" for Third party Logistics.

15. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

It’s been 3 days and I haven’t received my quote from Fastenal.

I ended up going with YRC.

$168 for a 206 pound crate from Phoenix to Atlanta.

It’s only going to take six days

16. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Thanks for this thread and one other older one too! I just boxed my motor up and printed a shipping label on FedEx and will drop it off tomorrow. EX650 motor just fit into a Home Depot plastic bin, HDX 27 Gallon Tough Tote. I used two of them nested together for good measure, put a 1/2" piece of plywood in the bottom, put the engine in a contractor grade garbage bag, used two garbage bags of expandable foam (one bag under each end), stuffed the edges with foam and bubble wrap, zip tied one lid on, put a layer of bubble wrap on top and zip tied the other lid on (these containers have slots for the zip ties already). The whole thing weighed 147.5lb which came under the apparently critical 150lb mark above which Fedex and UPS kick you into the freight category. Fedex charged:

$115 Shipping (drop off at store, deliver to business from CT to CA)
    $20 weight/handling surcharge
    $8 Fuel surcharge
    $40 Insurance for $4000 (optional)
    $-9 discount (fed ex account online discount)
    $174 Total

This was a lot less work than making a pallet for me, but if I had tripped over this magical 150lb limit, I am sure a pallet and an LTL freight shipper per above discussions would be better. Heck, they may be better anyways, but this is what I used so I figured I would share to help the next dude. And don't judge me for the engine value estimate for a 650 twin! I couldn't bring myself to type how much I have into this $4000 bike.....

Sabre699 and BigBird like this.
  17. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I built a crate. Put a take off underneath the engine along with packing foam. I used two cheap beach balls to fill up the empty space (filled up inside the box to fit in the spaces) also I bought cheap tie downs and strapped the motor down to the bottom of the pallet. I used Uship. Guy showed up with his own pallet jack and off he went. No issues

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

Hey it's the best bike that no one messes with (that's why I have a street version and a track one).. what year is it and whatcha getting done, if you don't mind sharing.

19. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

2009 superbike build. Engine built 9 years ago and just getting it refreshed. Sending it to Carry Andrew at Hypercycle. He has built a bunch of engines for these and some of those for Kawasaki. I want to try an MA round or two next year so I figured it would be good to get it refreshed.

BigBird likes this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

9 years ago and still going, nice! It's good to know the folks that work on this mill. Thanks for the info!