1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone sell to Carmax before?

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Feb 28, 2018.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Probably varies by area. What works in Newport Beach, CA probably does not work in Kansas City, Mo.

zamboiv likes this.
  2. I wish they bought race bikes.

I HATE selling shit, only because I hate dealing with all the drama. Listing it, dealing with 250 questions from 500 assholes, people trying to lowball you, etc. For me, selling shit is 10x more aggravating and stressful than buying shit. What happens is my bikes end up sitting around and getting older, without being ridden, only because I don't want to deal with selling them. So they end up going down in value, even though they aren't going up in mileage.

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶l̶a̶s̶s̶i̶f̶i̶e̶d̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶d̶r̶a̶m̶a̶-̶f̶r̶e̶e̶.̶.̶.̶

Nevermind. ;):dead:

pjzocc likes this.
  4. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

I've bought and sold quite a few vehicles from CarMax. If you bought it there they will give you $1000 on top of the trade in value. Our last vehicle we traded in was a Toyota Sienna last year. It was over 10 years old with 123,000 miles. We got more than we expected, because it was an in demand vehicle and we didn't even purchase anything. I hate paying full retail for vehicles that depreciate so quickly these days, I shop CarMax before looking anywhere else. Additionally, it's stupid cheap to get a vehicle shipped from other areas. My Challenger came from Florida, while my truck came from New York.

5. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Sold one to them a while back when I lived in TX. It was a Honda Civic, and IIRC I got above KBB trade-in but a touch less than retail, and more than what BMW was going to give on trade. It was quite easy.

But, that was like 15 years ago.

6. Haha. I probably will if I ever get a round tuit.

I keep procrastinating because part of me doesn’t want to let them go, but the other part of me wants new shit.

It’s a daily inner struggle. :D

BigBird likes this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Here ya go...

[​IMG]

motoracer1100 and Gorilla George like this.
  8. snikwad

snikwad Well-Known Member

Hahah. Carfax is a joke with anything over ten years.
    Took my old f250 to them for out of curiosity. They offered me $2k. Blue book was $12k, nada was 13k.
    They're a joke, and u can't really negotiate with them either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

I have been there twice and received buy quotes. Both times I sold privately for close to 2x their offer. one was an F-150, the other an Escape. Must just be the age/mileage.

10. I figured you'd be the one to be all over it. :D

Sabre699 likes this.
  11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:clap:

12. 178SV

178SV now retired...

From what I understand they will buy anything and sell it at auction. They just have rules about what they will resell themselves. Offers vary widely, good for 7 days. A friend got an offer on his F-150 of 29,000, didn't take it. Went back 3 weeks later and they offered him 20,000. Another friend held onto his totaled Chrysler SRT8, with a bent frame and suspension components they offered him $12,500 for what he thought was worthless. I always get a quote from there first when selling a vehicle. Sometimes insultingly low, other times wildly higher than expected. I wouldn't be surprised if it varied widely by location on the same day.

13. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

sold my mom's grand cherokee to them. easy dealing with them. Paid just about what I thought market value would be, and no hassle at all. win win.

worth a visit to get a quote. I know some can be good, some can suck. just depends upon the car and their demand for it at the time.

BigBird likes this.
  14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I did and would rate the experience as not too bad, value wise, it was real close to KBB but it needed some work, ie.... tires, brakes, usual stuff on a 11yo car...