1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lap time goals

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Feb 27, 2018.

1. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah and the no Info for 1.5 Hours was BS.... They could have let people know it was going to be an hour instead of being Silent that whole time...

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Oh I was the Poster Child for this..... After my first Race and finishing 6th They had me posted as a DNS on the scoring sheets with no times... Tony walked my Transponder across the line... both said it triggered so I protested... I then look at the grids for Sunday and I was on Pole Position... I went to the guy that won the race and he was not in his pits... When he pulled up in P2 I just said wanna switch? He laughed and said Welcome to AHRMA...

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh I don’t even think it would take them three sessions. Pretty sure they would be on record pace towards the end of or after the first session, they are just this good. When WSBK came to Miller for the first time, they were all on pace halfway through the first session. Honestly only after six- eight laps or so, crazy.

4. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Lap times are an outcome, a number representative of what inputs you put into the motorcycle for one circulation.

Broome kind of touched on it, but focus on the process, not the outcome. Yes, you'll have goals or target lap times you are trying to hit.

But if you go out there and say "I'm going to do xx.xx.xx time," you're much less likely to achieve that as opposed to going out there and saying "I'm going to mind my brake points, keep my eyes moving, and get good drives out of turns X, Y, and Z" - all of a sudden you're target lap time flashes across your timer.

5. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

the AHRMA results and times can be found at results.seriestracker

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

My response to Brian (Evelynes son) was always no problem, I'll have it ready for the next session - then change nothing. :D

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Let them know the race-monitor site is free to them...

8. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I know I'm irrelevant because I don't race any longer, but I never took or read any notes. I also didn't pay attention to brake markers. The only thing I thought about before hitting the track in a weekend was my shift points. I always knew exact gears and shift points at every track. Then I just rode as hard as I possibly could. I rode 99% in practice every time I hit the track. The only way my lap times were faster in a race were from better tires, race fuel, or a draft. I always thought that was the best way for me to actually be ready for race pace.

badmoon692008 and Phl218 like this.
  9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Someone brought up feeling like they left a lot of time out on track.

IMO...
    Unless you are at or near the lap record, u should ALWAYS feel like u left a lot of time on track. And u should know why u feel this way. If u don’t know why, how can u work to improve things? What are u going to change if u can’t analyze your own riding to find what’s wrong or missing? If u don’t feel this way and/or don’t know why, u should get some private coaching to discover how your riding can improve.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

It was I who said that. And I agree totally with your statement. I know where and how to go faster next time. I was not only ridding the track for the 1st time,but I was on a new bike as well. 1st time racing with a slipper clutch (love it) 1st time with quick shifter and GP shift. (Love them) but it took awhile to feel comfee with all that and a new track once my pace picked up the suspension needed adjusting and it was time to go. Always want to put it back in the box the way it came out. So it's all good and fun passed more then a few. Better next time.

stangmx13 likes this.
  11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Thank you.

Historically, they have been posted on Speedhive (MyLaps). Is this something new (for this year) that AHRMA is doing? Was this announced somewhere and I missed it?

In any event, a tip 'o the hat to AHRMA for using this feature of SeriesTracker.

Cheers,

Dave

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm guessing they're paying series tracker to do their online registration and it's all part of the deal.

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Track walk in the evening helps too.

14. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

they do use mylaps it just seems they are very inconsistent in getting things posted

15. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

RRR is one fast mo-fo .... sure easy layout but to tell yourself to carry that much speed when you head back each time took me a while as well.First time there I only had the 125 and guess I just attacked it right from the first session.Went back a few months later with both the 125 and 250 and barely could get around on the 250 at speed and the lap times suffered. I was thinking easy 3 second plus on the 250 and only got about 1.5-2 quicker.Went back another time and went even slower but everyone else was slower as well.Turn 1 was always killing me cause you want to go in quicker,pucker up and then ur like shit I could have gone deeper.Same in 9

16. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

They are inconsistent in their use of SeriesTracker. For example, the credits from the Barber October rain-out all had to be processed manually by Cindy. She did an excellent job, vis-à-vis my credits and entries. But, there are more than 600 credits to be handled. Had the credit info been given to SeriesTracker, it could have been input and automatically handled as each rider sought to enter an event in 2018. But, that was not done. Why, I don't know, and I cannot imagine. The manual handling of such would be hugely inefficient. but, it is what it is . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on the back end setup of series tracker. It could easily have been just as much manual work. I love our online setup but using paypal it only really works one way unless we're doing an actual refund. Some day we'll sort out a way to do gift cards without spending too much money on them and we can do credit through them - granted, not sure that'd work with paypal.

18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Turns 9, 1 and 3 are key to good lap times at RRR. All are wicked fast, and great fun, IMHO. I have a difficult time running race pace during practices. In part, it is because historically I'm "practicing" with a vintage bike, and I run as few a laps as possible while checking out how the bike is running. When I run a modern bike like the SV, I need to employ the rigor espoused by Chaotic - that is a good, pragmatic, meaningful program.

Cheers,

Dave

TurboBlew and Gino230 like this.
  19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

The intent of my original question was more about what can be done to speed up that process. The visualization would help, but again you have to have some notes to start with so your mental lap is accurate. Problem is that alot of tracks I don't have very good notes, or they are ancient, so I'm starting from scratch. That takes a long time.

I only started spending real effort on my notes about 6 months ago. I had notebooks, but they weren't very detailed, and I didn't focus on them very much. Probably because I felt I was pretty far off so some stupid paper wasn't going to help. Foolish, in hindsight.

I think the biggest improvement came for me after YCRS, when Ken made a small comment "you must ride with a technical focus." This probably slipped by unnoticed, but I spent alot of time thinking it over, and thinking over what was keeping me from my goal pace at tracks I have been going to for years. It's easy to get emotional (frustrated, angry and fearful) when you don't achieve the goal you have set for yourself. You go out and have some good corners and feel like you had some good laps, but then come in and you're way off where you thought you should be. But by using a purely technical approach, asking myself corner by corner what I did and if it could be improved (it almost always can), I don't get frustrated because the answers are right there in front of me. Then I just have to focus and apply what needs to be done.

When I got to RRR this weekend I had nothing. Not even gearing notes.

20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Muz, what were you riding? Were you in SOT or BOT?

I was riding my Ducati hybrid 848 with LW engine