1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on plantar fasciitis

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Feb 25, 2018.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The wife is a fairly new sufferer and I figure I can speed-up the learning curve here.
    I know some of you have had this. What works, what doesn't?

2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I had it....nearly fell over every time Id get out of bed. It went away after a month or so. Dunno what to tell ya!

3. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Have her roll her feet on a frozen water bottle each day, has worked great for me.

r6boater, pscook and SpeedyTide like this.
  4. In Your Corner

She's had it for over 2 months now, she had injections that made it go away but now it's back with no apparent trigger.
    This looks like the sort of thing you need to stay ahead of rather than treat the pain when it happens.

5. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Rolling on water bottles, tennis balls, golf balls, get one of those sock things to sleep in. If she is a runner or workouts a lot get a something like the Hoka one-one for shoes. There are a bunch of stretching and foot exercises out there.

I have had it off an on for about 3-4 years now. I had the worst luck with PF shoe inserts, especially the hard ones. I found cork inserts were ok and the ones they put in LL bean boots work well too.

Depending on severity YMMV on treatments.

6. RNYC

RNYC Well-Known Member

In addition to the feet, foam roll the calves. Have to loosen the tendons all up the leg. If she doesn’t have the brace to wear at night get one pronto. Keeps the stretch going.

Good luck. Super painful. But curable.

7. In Your Corner

I just ordered a night brace an hour ago.

8. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Alternately point the toes and then curl them, holding for 30 seconds at a time. Do this multiple times in a row and several times a day. After a few days, you will only need to do this occasionally. Works like a champ.

_indy likes this.
  9. mcarter

mcarter Well-Known Member

I had it. Terrible pain when I would first stand up and the pain never fully went away until I got off my feet. I bought some full length heal seat with arch support inserts for my shoes from https://heelthatpain.com/ No more pain!

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

This right here. Had it numerous times. This and a couple advils and I was good.

11. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

I got it mildly after a lot of running in 2014, especially after my 1st marathon. Did the things below, and it hung around a while, but I was able to still run.

Is this the sock that pulls your toes up and attaches just below the knee cap for when you sleep (takes a little getting used to, but works, especially rolling out of bed)? If not, these help, along with rolling on the frozen water bottle, sole inserts that provide good arch support. Let the cortizone shot(s) be the last you try, unless it's really hurting when walking all the time.

12. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I had it when my shoes got really worn and didn't support my feet. Tennis ball helped but changing shoes worked in my case. Good luck, it's a nasty surprise first thing in the morning.

13. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

ok any one have achellies tendon problems, i have bone chip on my heel where the tendon attaches. first thing drs want to do is put me in boot. any other options?

14. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Based on my daughter's experience with a boot I would avoid that damn thing at all cost. She has had nothing problems for 2 years. The boot weakened the structure of her foot so much that one problem has just turned into another. YMMV, just my personal experience.

15. twin ty

twin ty Well-Known Member

For Plantars, stop running, don’t walk barefoot, and when it’s time to start running again, get some new running shoes custom to the stride. That’s what worked for me. Having to initially stop running was the hardest part.

16. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Wife is a major runner (100+ miles/month) had it 6 years ago aggravated by a bone spur, Went through EVERY therapy, boot, PT and she was dedicated to following all instructions. Spent the $ on dry needling ... She did the research on surgery and wanted to avoid it at all costs. Finally had shockwave therapy (ESWT), same type of machine they use for busting up kidney stones with a different applicator. No jumping - running or strenuous exercise for 6 weeks, just regular walking, AWESOME results. Asked the DR for the CASH price it was $1200 bucks (less than we had spent on the therapy's) 100% AWESOME results

17. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

I may do the shock wave so far PT has helped now doing exercises at home.

Basic explanation. Calves are too tight, there connected to Achilles that run's into sole of foot.
    Boots try to stretch the calves, (didn't help me)
    Custom foot inserts, No help either.
    PT basically calve stretch's along with curling toes hold for 5 seconds worked up to 50.
    Then 10 seconds times 50 with 3 reps.

When I don't do it, I pay later. So far holding my own.
    Hope she gets over it, this over 30 stuff really sucks.

18. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Switching shoe brands (Johnston and Murphy to cole haan ) cured mine almost immediately.

19. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Wrong. Sorry i agree with the first one but the best thing you can do in the long run is walk barefoot. Learn to actually flex your toes and muscles in your feet without the crutch of a ton of cushion in shoes and it will go a long way! I run ultra marathons and spent the whole day today without shoes on. washed the cars, went to the beach, walked to the grocery store all without shoes. I wear nice runnin shoes for my races and training but it’s for performance, not to correct a flaw.

Stretch from the bottom of the feet, roll on ice, tennis ball, lax ball and the roll the calves, stretch, etc and I bet you’re better off than buying new fancy shoes.

20. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Obv what works for some wont work for others, as in I'm assuming you know your barefoot advice goes right against common advice to treat it.