1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Main power switch

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Scotty87, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Working on a custom, it will not have keyed ignition/power. In the past when I've done this I just would grab whatever Autozone had that could take 15 amps or so. What have you guys used that works well? I need to be able to hide it somewhat, so nothing huge please. Also, is a 15 amp rating enough? Should I be looking more in the 20-25 range?

:beer:

2. Scotty87

:eek: God Motogadget is proud of their shit. It is a really nice system tho. Wouldn't I have to run a full M-unit system to use the M-lock?

3. Scotty87

Nevermind. I can see that it's independent. Hmm. May have to look into that.

4. Yeah, it works well. But you need to pretty much tap the fob to the receiver. But it works and it's clean.

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

The switches from AutoZone don't last that long, maybe a year. Eventually the switch breaks, or randomly loses power, or something. Id rather get something from SummitRacing.

My new bike has the YEC harness which has a connector plug for main power. I like it, just as ez and almost no chance of failure.

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

7. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

8. hrc_nick_11

9. hrc_nick_11

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I used this. No issues. IIRC, it was rated for 10-15a/115v. It's just a pushbutton with wires, couldn't cost more than a bottle of water and hides in plain sight. Check your local hardware stores.
    IMG_1448.JPG IMG_1449.JPG

11. Scotty87

12. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Find your local Radio Shack if still around, they have/had nice selection of automotive switches. I used one with toggle itself lighting up when power is on, it has nice low profile and is 30A rated.

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Come to think of it, that's where I got my switch.

14. CJM

CJM Active Member

Hey stang, I've got the YEC harness on my 2012 R6 and I'm looking for a switched power/ground source. Unfortunately, I don't have the wiring diagram. Where is the connector plug you mentioned? What does it look like and what color wires go into it? Can I splice into those wires to have a switched power and ground for hardwiring a lap timer?

Sorry to hijack the thread. Thanks!

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

the large white connector im holding is the main power. the corresponding connector behind it plugs in and turns the bike on. this is where some add a switch. I wouldn't use that for switched power.

the top black connector above is switched power. the two-wire one, not the 4-wire one w/ the loop. thats supplying power to my AMB hardwire transponder. so you could def use it for switched power for a lap timer. the wires are red/white and black.

I think theres another one of these 2-wire switched power connectors under the seat on the left side of the bike. but I havent taken a voltmeter to that one to verify.

16. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Attached Files: