1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chevy Colorado - opinions?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawn Dart, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

So, I'm still having intake issues with my F150, and I'm beginning to fear that the cost to fix is going to approach the value of the truck. If I can get $12-18K on tradein, but it costs me $6-7K to fix, we're damn close, if not across the point of whether its worth it. I really wanted to be saving for a car, but I don't want to be without a truck.

Anyway, since I'm not towing as often, I was thinking of downsizing a little bit, and I have always liked the look of the Colorado. Does anyone have any experienced opinions of them? Since I would be coming off of a vehicle with an apparent (significant) design flaw, I'd love to know what I might be getting into with a Colorado.

I'm not ruling out similar models, but I just don't see that many of them. I'm kinda pissed at Ford (after being a huge fan of this truck for so long), and they don't sell the Ranger right now anyway. I didn't love the Frontier (my ex-BIL had one), but I'm willing to look at it again. And I haven't looked at Toyota's in a really long time. I know they were good trucks a while ago, but I've always hated Toyota interiors.

My dad was talking some BS about the Honda Ridgeline. I'm just not a fan, but I might consider it.

2. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

The Colorado with the i4 diesel is a rad truck. I'd rock one if I was in the market for a smaller truck. The Tacoma has always been king imo but Toyota dealers want a premium for them though.

Screw the Ridgeline. It's just lame and not really a truck.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Toyotas are the shit in midsized. Problem with them is they sell for full retail around here and if you're looking used, they are selling for almost the price of new.

When does the Ranger get released in the US?

4. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

for the price of a tacoma it'd be hard not to get another 1500, f150 for me but my best friends tacoma is pretty nice. The interior isn't anything special though.

5. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

The interior is primarily the thing that sold me on the F150. Ford had the best by a mile at the time. I may have to consider a newer F150 that has port/direct injection hybrid, since that seems to have resolved the issue. I just hate spending that money when I really want a nice car and since I'm pissed at Ford.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Get a Dodge then.

vdub 2.0 likes this.
  7. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Even though the out side of the Colorado is close to a full size truck the interior is not even close! And your gas mileage is also close to a full size truck.
    plus most places are getting close to full price for the smaller trucks as the full sizes are being discounted right now and you should be able to swing a better deal on them.
    Love my 2010 F150

Lawn Dart likes this.
  8. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

If I were going to get a smaller truck, it would be a Toyota. Buddy has a new Colorado, and it is very nice, but the Toyotas I've seen have run forever and hold their value better than any other truck. I tow too much heavy stuff to get one, but that's the way I would go if I could.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  9. Chango

Chango Something clever!

If you didn't like the Frontier 13 years ago, you still won't like it. It hasn't been redesigned since 2005. I wish I were joking about that... I love my 2000 Frontier, but the fact that you can buy a brand new one for nearly $40,000 that looks/handles/everything exactly like a 2005 is just plain ridiculous.

I guess the Tacoma was all new in 2016, but it still looks the same to me. Not that it's bad as far as I'm aware, but it just doesn't do enough for my tingly bits, especially for the price premium that Toyota gets away with on them. As noted above they apparently never lose value. I've seen way too many well-used Tacos listed for way too close to brand new prices.

I like the Colorado, but when I shop them I am always looking at the stripped down 4-cylinder 6-speed manual models with an MSRP under $25,000, preferably under $22,000. The diesel seems to be the bees knees, but I don't think I've ever seen one on a dealer lot for under $37,000. That pays for an awful lot of gasoline if you don't actually need the diesel. I think the V6 is rated pretty well, and you can get one of those with the fancy-pants 8-speed automatic for about $25-27,000 if you don't want all of the silly things trucks have these days. If I'm being honest, the main reason I don't have a shiny new Colorado in the garage now instead of an 18-year-old clapped-out (but paid for) Frontier next to my clapped-out SV is I would rather spend the money going to Europe this summer for a MotoGP race or two than spend any extra money on a truck.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Are the Colorado's 5 Cylinders? Like others said.. With Gas Mileage and room ect I would just go full size...

XFBO likes this.
  11. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

Diesel Colorado / canyon

30mpg + on the highway
    27mpg mixed
    20mpg towing a 6x10 enclosed trailer

To me, its the perfect commuter / tow vehicle combo

12. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Not anymore. They had a 5-cyl in the previous generation, but now it's a 4-cyl gas, a V6 gas, or a 4-cyl diesel.

13. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I've had 2 Tacomas. I bought a 1990 from my father with 200k on it. He didn't tell me he never changed the timing belt.
    So it threw timing at 230k or so but was a non interference motor. So I just fixed it myself and drove it til 300k and sold it for 4k in less than 24hrs. I currently have a 2013 that we bought new. They are very proud of these trucks and will gladly make you a deal on a Tundra.
    I would go through Costco for a better deal on a new one. Depending on the dealer they go through it may or may not help. I got a little more than a couple grand off. I have 60k on it and only replaced a battery so far.

I drove a 2006 Colorado for about 6 months after my father pasted away. My mom didn't want to part with it and it needed a little work so I drove it and fixed it up a little. It had about 50 to 60k on it at the time. The shocks were out on it, it had a common AC issue, and needed a water pump. It was out of warranty since he didn't drive it much. Other than that it was fine, but it rode like shit compared to both Tacomas. And I have never liked the Ford or Chevy Traction control systems, they tend to frustrate me.

14. James_56

James_56 Well-Known Member

If you've not looked at them in a LONG time, check them out now, night & day difference on the new interior. Love me my 2017 Taco! tacoma.jpg

OldSchlPunk and trussdude like this.
  15. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

When I bought my 2009 Tacoma I looked at the Tacoma and the Frontier. Both were massive upgrades to my 1999 Ranger. I thought the interior of the Taco was slightly below the Nissan but I liked how it drove. Had mine for 60k miles before I traded it for a Tundra for more interior room. Great resale.

16. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I just want something that works and while I enjoy a nice interior, Tacomas have always lacked in that aspect compared to Ford or Chevy.
    I understand that the new models are coming out with leather, sun roofs and the rear windows that rolls down now. Havent seen on personally yet. The old 4.0 v6 in 08 to 15 models is a very good engine. The new 3.5 v6 shares with a lot of Toyotas and Lexus models. So it is the most common motor they make now.

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'm of the opinion that unless you are limited on parking space, buy a full size.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  18. Lavana

Lavana The coming

id go tacoma before Colorado and f150 before tacoma

19. My dad has a Colorado and loves it. He thinks it’s the finest thing since peanut butter.

He has had full sized trucks his whole life, and likes how the Colorado is easier to drive around in the city, park, etc. But it still has a good sized bed and is handy.

His is the 4x4 LTZ model, so it wasn’t cheap. But he loves it. It looks really good too. I love the front end of them.

20. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

What kinda gas mileage are you getting on that? I have no issues with my 2010 F150 and by the time I need another truck it'll be completely different but I've always been interested in the 4 door tacoma