Spring rate? RT vs. Traxxion info

Discussion in 'Tech' started by down-n-out, Mar 25, 2004.

1. down-n-out

down-n-out Member

PN trying to get started. Race Tech's web calculator recommends a 8.5 spring for me (SV 650s, race setting for 170 lb rider) but I think Traxxion is at 9.5 for me. What have you guys found- who's numbers are closer?

2. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

9.0's should be about right. Go to e-bay and do a search on sonic springs, they're made by the same people who make Race-Tech's but they're cheaper.

3. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

Are you putting emulators in???

If you are, go with the .90's, if not, put .95's in there with 30 weight oil. If you are using the emulators a synthetic 15 weight will work well with the emulators stiffen'ed up a bit.

Marcus

Last edited: Mar 26, 2004
  4. down-n-out

down-n-out Member

springs

thanks guys. marcus, yes i'm putting in emulators (4101's) and Torco 20wt RFF fluid.

rich, i'm looking for sonic now. thanks for the great tip.
    Steve

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Per Max, RT springs are about one rate softer than they list as. I just got some .85's and will actually need to get .90's with the emulators.

6. WERA552

WERA552 Master Brake Oil Spiller!

I run the RT springs and use a .90/.95 combo for 92.5 rate with emulators and Belray 20wt. I'm normally around 170-175 pounds. Well at least by mid-season I am... :rolleyes:

7. Sunny

Sunny Banned

Where are you located? :confused: I can hook you up with a great local suspension expert/dealer if you don't want to order the wrong part, nor send the forks out for a rebuild and wait for a long turn-around time. Otherwise, I would stick with Traxxion Dynamics' numbers/products as it has proved to work accurately with many bikes/riders. ;)

I say if you have the money, go for the whole rebuild (springs/valve kit/oil). If you never done fork work nor know anything about it, just pay the expert to do it right for you! ;)

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Who are you talking to?

I have Traxxion do all the work on my cartridge forks. I use some Traxxion parts and some RT parts for the damper forks, which we do ourselves. They are pretty basic.

9. Sunny

Sunny Banned

Was talking to down-n-out! :p I know you are located in Michigan like me! ;) I too have fully Traxxion rebuilt cartridge forks for my bike.

However, I can get you in touch with the suspension expert/dealer I was talking about if you need quality springs and other parts quick! ;) You can just drive over and pick them up! :D PM will be sent shortly! :beer:

10. down-n-out

down-n-out Member

good info...

again, much appreciated guys. i've ordered Traxxion's "kit" rods for the SV with the emulators and drilling work finished. These are new, but seem like they will be fairly straightforward.
    steve

11. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Re: good info...

Did you find the springs?? If not you can call them direct, 1-888-287-8318. Normal store hours, 9-6 Tues-Fri, 9-5 Sat. Central time.

12. down-n-out

down-n-out Member

thanks for the number

rich:
    could not find sonic springs on ebay, so glad you followed up with phone #
    sl

13. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

I am 200lb and used 1.0 RT springs in the front. Heavier than what Race Tech wanted and it got the suspension in spec and felt great at VIR.

14. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

spring rate

I'm in MI, who's your suspension contact?

15. Sunny

Sunny Banned

PM on the way! ;)