1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Lunches

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Sep 24, 2017.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

No shit, look what they done to you! :D

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exactly!

Wait a second....

3. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

That’s a profound sounding meme that is actually profoundly dumb. It’s a typical leftist statement that relies on emotional rationalization rather than logic.

Prisoners are wards of the state and have no means to provide for themselves, therefore it’s the responsibility of the state to feed, clothe and house them. Children are wards of their parents, therefore it’s the responsibility of the parents to feed, clothe and house them. It’s really quite simple. If the state has to clothe, house and feed your kids, then shouldn’t your kids be wards of the state just as those prisoners are?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  4. SGVRider

Agreed. This could be solved with better logistics. Issue lunch credit chits or cards in a separate process from food distribution and reconcile it on the backend. Then the kids can get fed and the school can be compensated for the cost. This might be one instance where legislation is actually helpful. The school should be compensated by the state or county and let the state or county intercept the parents’ state tax refund for unpaid lunches, plus penalties.

dtalbott likes this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That’s not exactly true. I’d forgotten about it until your post, but most prisoners (in Missouri anyway) are actually billed for their time in prison.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_f6bd3c52-8260-59bd-aaa2-2e456d34bcb9.html

6. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Lots of kids do not deserve the the drug addicts and bums they have to call mom & dad and DCFS is under-resourced on the ground and encumbered with bureaucracy. I think some people would be shocked just how many homes in poor neighborhoods are run by the kids. At how many 10 year olds get their siblings ready for school and how many 13 yo "drug dealers" start selling here and there trying to make sure their little sister doesn't have to go to bed hungry.

I get that there really isn't a "solution" since you can't just go ripping kids from families even when its in the kids best interest and group homes/foster care are just as broken - so I guess making sure some kids get breakfast and lunch everyday really doesn't strike me as a waste of money. There are places all over the world where you can watch kids starve if thats what you're in to.

Kids is the one "issue" where I am bleeding heart through and through. I can't stomach the thought of punishing kids for their parents and truly believe the answers to most of our adult social issues have to do with how we prepare our kids to be adults.

BigBird, Dan Dubeau and ryoung57 like this.
  7. SWAT_Spyder76

SWAT_Spyder76 Well-Known Member

Just asked my wife how this works at her school. The kids with lunches provided to them get to eat the exact same thing as everyone else who’s parents gave them money because essentially they are given a mini welfare card that just has cash on it. So the poor kids use the money to buy chips and shit instead of healthy food like I’m sure (stereotyping) most of their parents use the big welfare card to buy smokes and wendys, now that those cards can be used pretty much everywhere. Im all for feeding kids who need it, the parents should have to show up every week in person at the school so the free money is put on the card and feel a little embarrassed about it. As much as we shouldn’t blame the kids or embarrass them, chances are they are going to turn out like their rocket scientist parent (maybe parents?) and work the system like they’ve been raised to do. Especially because they never learned shame. Im sure some may have and changed their life around, but not as many as you’d hope...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

When I was in elementary school we could have free lunch - if we worked in the cafeteria. Wash dishes, serve food, whatever was needed on your shift. So that's what I did for a couple years, whether my parents could pay for it or not. They thought it was a great experience for me. At the time I didn't like it, but it helps instill a work ethic at a young age.
    Kids worked the lunch line in Jr. High too, pretty sure it was the same arrangement.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Nice.

Buncha kids stealing honest paying work from union institutional food prep and serving workers.

My brothers and I are going to picket. :Poke:

brex likes this.
  10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Who in their right mind would get between Mongo and lunch?
    It would be like getting hit by the 12:15.

11. In Your Corner

Debit cards are what started the problem. Your solution would probably cost more than the lunches.
    We used to bring the money with us and pay cash for lunch.
    It worked really well.
    Keep it simple.

12. SGVRider

All people were responsible for their kids before debit cards? How would it cost more? Cash handling is expensive and time consuming anyway it doesn’t make sense. Give them lunch cards with the field effect thing and you can improve service times substantially.

Make them buy lunches on a card and the kids with no money get it temporarily paid for. I assume all states already have a process for intercepting tax refunds on behalf of local governments. Probably can also apply to schools. They do it for parking tickets. Charge the parents triple if they have to collect. The penalties could even pay for the program most likely.

13. In Your Corner

What's more expensive is all the work you want to put in chasing down parents for money after the fact when they use debit cards.
    And I'm really doubting that cards are faster to use. They're not faster at POS and there are machines to count money.
    Keep it simple.
    The more you give people the opportunity to not pay, the more people won't pay.

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My grandkids use a debit card...daughter has to recharge it every so often. Sucks to be responsible. She tells me the card works even if there's no money to back it up. Apparently that causes a phone call to "home" but doesn't ever stop the card from working.

15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I will not call you name, or insult you. However, I will provide an opinion that is contrary.

I risk being demonized, but here it goes.

School breakfast/lunch programs is an expansion of the Federal Government.
    The government absolve parenting and gladly steps in.
    Good Parenting is left to getting your kid to school or to the bus stop.

Parenting is so great that magically, there has been roughly a 50% increase in the children that parents cannot provide, this happening roughly a decade.
    Instead of demonizing bad parents, some (okay, the left/democrats) demonize those that oppose or would like to halt the expansion of such programs.
    They do this because the want to grow government; and, in typical liberal mindset they have the recipe or ultimate fix.
    The aim is always the same, grow the mob. Blur the lines and increase the co-dependency.

At root cause is the demise of the family union and church institution in the name of a new religion and new father/mother structure.
    The parental role is diminishing. And, the State loves it.

The absolving of a parent or parents from its fundamental responsibilities, duties, is criminal. But we know who is best criminal in practice, the politician.

A few weeks ago, I was having this very discussion and asking what happen to the peanut butter and jelly commercials on TV?
    I don't want to dig into my past, but I know "poor" and we never went hungry; at least, not for any long-term period.
    Parents found a way. The community found a way. I remember kids taking care of each other. Sharing. And, no one was directing us or instructing us. It was simply the thing to do, for your friend, your classmate.
    I remember being on both sides of charity. As a receiver as late as during my college years. It is hard to lose faith in people. Government, well that is another thing.

So, I ask why should real school programs or after school programs suffer because of bad parenting, and even worse, bad bureaucracy?

Government is never accountable. No collection or taxation is enough. Waste is exemplary.

I will close with a return to parenting duties. You say some cannot but they have enough to buy or purchase other items. I say priority is misguided and government mitigates the bad behavior.

And, how did we arrive here today. How did we go so long without this wonderful, parental absolving programs?

16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

We have laws. Punish the parent. Remove the kid. If you are going to be parent, might as well be parenting, in full. Why confuse the kid, dad/mom versus State?

17. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Rations book will be the norm, in the future.
    Your allocation Sir. Now, move along.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I agree with you, but at the same time, how can you in good conscience make a kid go hungry when you have the means to prevent it.

There’s nothing wrong with teaching a person that lesson, but I think it should be taught at 15+ when they are able to start making reasonable life decisions and are generally capable of taking care of themselves, not at 10 when they’re basically helpless.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

If I had a kid, I would guarantee that he/she would not go hungry. And, I would raise my kid proper to ensure no one in his/her class when hungry.
    I rather employ my monies directly than have government handle my business.

This thread motivated me to write a request to my company to make a case for the monthly charity.
    Let you know how that goes. People, not government.

20. In Your Corner

The road to hell truly is paved with good intentions.