1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Vintage Classes

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Jan 10, 2018.

1. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Mark, Wossmer is making an Rd250 piston with the intake skirt cut and no windows.
    It may work as is or maybe they would make some without..

2. charles

charles The Transporter

Some JB Weld on those intake holes/cutways and you'll be good to go! Budda-bing, budda-bang.

yamageezer likes this.
  3. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

That's just silly. To do it right, you need to braze some copper pennies over the holes!

4. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

Have you looked into smaller modern dirt bike pistons? For my Bridgestone I'm using Wossner 2003 rm 85 pistons. Just find one that has the right bore size, piston pin, and height. Easy. :)

5. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Yep, this or epoxy. Everyone knows JB can’t hold up to 2-stroke pressures.
    I’m going to contact this guy about pistons. He does mostly cabinets and yard art so this may be out of his range of experience.
    DE55D1DE-9D30-4324-B2C1-EA9BD6360E38.jpeg

videojack likes this.
  6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

2-stroke pressures? You mean the 7.5:1 compression ratio's of most smokers . . . ?

You 2-stroke guys never cease to amaze me with what you can find to complain about. A mechanical device that has 1/3 the moving parts of most internal combustion engines, half the functional cycles, and yet you can create and expound 4x the extent of others. Simply amazing. And folks say lawyers are verbose . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

videojack, james walker and VFR#52 like this.
  7. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

You must be easily amazed! You shoulda seen the post about broken rings.......
    Regards,
    Mark

8. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

Now, Now, Counselor. As a long time advocate for 4 strokes, I can understand your bias. Of course, you still believe in those finicky BSA push rods and think that overhead cams are a fad. However, I've been taking a peek into the 'dark side' and me thinks that the world of 2 strokes is much more complicated than it first appears. Fortunately, I happy that you're not into the 2 stroke craze because there isn't enough ink in the internet once you got started on the subject.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  9. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Smart people know valves are for toilets......... :crackup:

VFR#52 and videojack like this.
  10. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

What bike are you building now Joe Joe .... :rolleyes:

james walker likes this.
  11. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Mark, if you're looking into the charred piston manufacturer, I'd recommend a few more rings than shown on the base model...

12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Now now Doug just having fun.........

videojack and Duck150 like this.
  13. charles

charles The Transporter

C'mon now, Dave, attorneys are verbose and you know it; every word, spoken or written, is worth a fraction of the retainer fee! As far as the mighty 2-stroke is concerned, every part is held precious, none moreso than the venerable piston, which, unfettered by the manipulation of 'valves' (as you call them), permits the 2-stroke motor to rise to the heights it is accustomed…you apparently take instant umbrage at the mere mention of 2-stroke pistons, or should we say in this case, a lack thereof. Note that we don't take up valuable cyberspace with chatter about cams, tappets, or primary chain oilers, all of which belong in the graveyard of moto-antiquity.

videojack likes this.
  14. charles

charles The Transporter

Some emory cloth and a spritz of WD40, and that 'old faithful' piston will go another 40,000 miles.

15. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

So regardless of all the whinging from the elderly here.......which of yall is going to actually be racing at VIR and NJ this year? I need some motivation and reason to finish up my RD. Since the region went away a couple years ago I gave up and shoved her into a corner,mid-build. If theres going to be a race then put some damn fresh depends on and lets do this.

16. charles

charles The Transporter

Why not come on down here, down into the Deep South y'all, and air out your RD?

17. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

Not feeling the love.....damn

18. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

You're not looking hard enough Doug.

19. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

I don't buy English crap......:eek:

20. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

"English crap" . . . .

Really? Now we're goin' to start slaggin' the Brits and all of their invaluable contributions to motorcycles and motorcycle racing as we know it today?

Gentlemen -

There is a reason there are no 2-strokes in modern, professional, road racing. Fads, novelties, curiosities and whims come and go. 2-strokes are good for chain saws, weed wackers, garden blowers, model airplane engines and the like. Try as you might, contending that the 2-stroke engine is the epitome of motorcycle racing technology is a futile, and foolhardy, endeavor.

Let the flames commence . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

videojack likes this.