1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance/House people - HUGE claim...

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jan 17, 2018.

1. I don’t give a shit.

Just like my regular job, they don’t have to like me, they just have to do the job they are being paid for, to the best of their abilities, or I will find someone else who will.

Them liking me is neither a requirement nor a necessity.

cav115 and crashman like this.
  2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'm curious to see how many contractors fire you.

3. Eventually one of them won’t, and he will be the one that gets paid.

Making friends through this ordeal is nowhere on my list of priorities.

If someone can’t give progress reports while they are being paid to work on my shit, then I will find someone more professional who will.

4. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

OK but daily reports is a bit excessive?

BigBird likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Only just a *wee* bit

BigBird likes this.
  6. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

I don't know what the supply/ demand is down there, but around this area you won't find anyone to tolerate those requirements. Due to the lack of workers, projects are not hard to find and no one wants to put up with with a difficult client when they're already kissing emp!oyee's and sub's ass.

evakat, Boman Forklift and BigBird like this.
  7. I don’t know. I’ve never built a house.

At my job when projects are ongoing, depending on the criticality, updates are required at the very latest every 12hrs, and sometimes hourly updates are required.

I know hourly would be excessive. But it shouldn’t be too damn hard for someone to say “we are laying the living room floor today, should take us 18-24hrs, then we will move into the kitchen.”

I’m not going to be like “I expect an update with an exact completion % by 5pm every single day”.

But at the same time, I’ll be damned if I’m going to just let them carry on for weeks without telling me what is going on, how long the current project should take, what obstacles could materialize, etc.

Anyone that is a professional should be able to provide updates and somewhat realistic timelines.

8. pickled egg

:crackup:

This should be fun to watch

ClemsonsR6 and BigBird like this.
  9. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

If you are the type of person that likes to micro manage. Then I wouldn't build a house, it will never work out for you.

10. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

And people wonder why I never built custom homes for clients (I flip/build spec though not as much as I used to). No offense Chaotic, but I would say every couple of days, or even once per week is more realistic. I get why reports are more critical on your job, but there is a lot of downtime in the building of a house where nothing happens while you are waiting on supplies, permits etc. I suspect you wouldn't subject Livengood to that type of requirement.

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I'm only trying to provide humor to an extremely unfortunate and bad situation, but:

I think we/they should put up several web-cams up and let yourself (along with all of us) watch the new house build process, as it happens. We will have a thread solely dedicated to it, with comments, critiques, feedback, etc.

:)

12. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Fuck um, they are working for you. They don't want to give you daily reports then they don't get the work. It's not that hard to send and email stating what they Did that day.

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. pickled egg

Again, :crackup:

JBraun and Sabre699 like this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

As I've gotten older, I'm more like if I did my research properly, and chose the right person for a job, then I have to let that professional do their job without me looking over their shoulder for everything.

EDIT: I remember when our house was being rebuilt after a fire, the contractor laid the floor down with a wave in the middle. He could have wrote, laid floor down, sent pics, and it would have looked ok, but without being there, what could be done.

All I'm saying it's already a stressful situation for you, no reason to make it more stressful.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  15. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

Once I had 1200 sq ft of tile installed. The contractor told my wife it would take 3 days.
    I told her to plan for 6. Almost took damn near 7 days, I didn't think they were ever going to leave on the last day.

We had a house built and they said it would take 3 to 5 months. It took about 11.

16. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Again, not sure how things are in your area or Broome's, but around here the customer isn't the one holding all the cards.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

Same here in NYC/LI/NNJ.

18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

All of them???

19. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

To give you a rough idea. If I want a crew out on a project right now, I expect to wait 3 to 4 months before they can even START work. You can yell all you want to anyone you want, but there is a shortage of labor and a surplus of work to do. Those that do jump on projects immediately either suck at what they do, or are about to upcharge you 30 to 40 percent for the privilege of seeing them early. Let's compound this with the fact that construction never goes on schedule so you have subs that are potentially scheduling you months out that won't be able to hit that timeline because other commitments run long.

wrx_02 and BigBird like this.
  20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Then he will know just how much weed gets used in the construction industry.