1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SLC for a day, things to do?

Discussion in 'General' started by wiggeywackyo, Jan 22, 2018.

1. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

I'm going to be in SLC for about 10 hours. I'm thinking I want to check out the Bonneville Salt Flats. Is there anything else I should check out?

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I guess if you've never seen them, it may be neat. But there's nothing to see but the salt flats themselves. No need to waste the couple hours to hit the actual "track".
    You could see if anything is going on at UMC but it snowed recently so you never know.
    Natural history museum, couple other dinosaur museums, the LDS Temple square and historical buildings. Drive up one of the canyons and see a couple ski areas. This week is asshole week up in Park City, so you could head up there and watch trashy narcissistic pricks. Could go take a bobsled ride at the Olympic park.
    Depends on what you like to do.

3. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Fuck. Too bad I'm not there anymore :D

4. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Sundance is happening right now. Check it out.

5. wiggeywackyo

Funny you guys should mention Sundance. Originally we were going to Park City to snowboard since we figured the mountains would be empty during Sundance. The snow was looking poor up until two days ago so we decided to drive up to Big Sky and Yellowstone instead. The film stuff isn't my cup of tea but maybe the eye candy will be worth it? I'm going to have a cute little rental car that I was thinking I'd take across the lake just to say I've done it.

Any beer worth drinking? Food? Hikes?

6. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Polygamy Porter is my go to beer in UT

The salt flats could be covered in snow

backbone likes this.
  7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Hikes in the winter after a fresh snowing aren't the best idea if you don't know the mountains. There are some shorter overlook type hikes or drives. Red Iguana is always a good place to get Messican food. There are a number of breweries around. If you are closer to downtown, Red Rock is a brew pub with good eats and I am told good beer. I don't drink, so I can't vouch for it.
    Not too far out of Downton is Piper Down. It is an Irish themed brew pub, again good food and supposedly good drink. The owner, Dave, is an old racer and a very good guy.
    Squatters or the Bohemian are similar brew pubs. There are good BBQ places, good burger joints, sandwich shops, etc. There's a piano bar downtown called keys on main that is entertaining if you're into that kind of entertainment.
    Park City this time of year is something most locals avoid at all costs. Better skiing at Alta or Snowbird for the boarders. Hell, I'd even ski the actual Sundance resort over PC or Deer Valley for another week.

8. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Is the museum still open at what was Miller Motorsports Park?

9. wiggeywackyo

Thanks for the input. Isn't there a resort out there that doesn't allow boards?

10. wiggeywackyo

Go on...

11. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Alta is/was ski only.

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Alta and Deer Valley are ski only, no boards.

13. loser

loser Well-Known Member

Red Iguana is very good Mexican food indeed.

You might want to head over to Antelope Island if you're interested in seeing wildlife.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll third or fourth Red Iguana and Polygamy Porter.