1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drilling concrete with aggregate.

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Jan 22, 2018.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...I've had mine since they came in metal cases.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The Milwaukee name may exists but the current tools a cheap pieces of shit compared to what they used to make. They are Milwaukee in name only.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What isn't a cheap piece of shit compared to what they used to make?

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Whores?

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Don't know about the current stuff. My hammer drill and sawzall are over 20 years old.

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

First....get a Drill Doctor to keep all your bits sharp. Nothing sucks worse than dull bits (it does concrete bits too). Second, keep a shop-vac close by and keep removing the concrete dust as you go...trying to work through an inch of powder just doesn't help.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

There have been some cool advancements in dust control while cutting and drilling, Hilti especially. They have a series a small vacuum attachments for their drills. They also make hollow drill bits with a vacuum built into the drill.

8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

We put a lift up a few weeks ago in the lower part of the shop, concrete has to be 75 years old at least. Rex and I layed on the drill with all we had on the first three 3/4" holes. Then we figured out the drill works a lot better with less pressure on it... its funny, it actually drilled faster with 20lbs on it than 200.
    Food for thought.

9. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I have Bosch and Hilti hammer drills....bits are interchageable.

We routinely drill 1.5" holes, 9" deep. Drill bit that size is over $200.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Don't give Hilti credit. That's all OSHA.

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

OSHA is really cracking down on silica dust.....Our work had a 'meeting', training course in the fall, that was given by the local OSHA head cheese.

We are working on a $650 million hospital project in Cincinnati. Had to have this particular silica safety class to be allowed to work on the site. Get caught without a dust mask, removed from the job for a day. 2nd offense, employee not allowed to work on job period. This is the General Contractors rule.

12. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I’m not going to lie, the newly enforced silica rule has made a couple of the historic renovation jobs at least palatable to be on. Effing concrete cutters prior to enforcement made so much dust you couldn’t see across the building. It’s still a PITA to lug those vacuums around and pay for all that shit though.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yea....Bosch is up on the trend to keep dust down also. Hilti just seems to have quality over the rest, their prices reflect that.