1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This week's Pit Bull fatalities:

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Repo Man 32, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Theducatiman

Theducatiman Well-Known Member

But look at the dogs that are doing the damage. It’s not the ones like we have in our house. I’d bet the majority of the dogs doing the damage are the ones who aren’t cared for. And it’s unfortunate that there are so many pits that are chained up and made to be aggressive. Nurture over nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Popularity with people stupid enough to abuse them or train them to be aggressive doesn't really prove anything about the breed itself.

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Huh? That's what you get from the hard numbers? Pit bulls are indisputably over represented in canine attack fatalities. There is no other take away there. You can extrapolate causes all you want, but the numbers stand on their own.
    I see a three year old girl in Oklahoma was killed by a pit bull on Sunday. I'd wager that the family wishes they had not brought the damn thing into their home. With all of the other options out there, just why?

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

According to the NHTSA, in 2006, 13.10 cars out of 100,000 ended up in fatal crashes. The rate for motorcycles is 72.34 per 100,000 registered motorcycles. It is obvious that motorcycles are way more dangerous than cars so we should ban all motorcycles. Why would anyone bring one of those death machines in to their home? It would be stupid to take those sorts of chances with your life. And heaven forbid you ever ride with a child on your bike.

See where your logic takes us...

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

If one particular motorcycle represented 6% of all bikes but was involved in over 50% of all bike fatalities, a reasonable person might consider owning a different model.

6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

So from this article, sport bikes are more dangerous than any other type of bike. Your likelihood of dying is almost double on a sport bike. Double I say! We need to all get together in the name of safety and ban those death rockets!
    http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...s-helps-push-rider-deaths-to-near-record-high
    Granted it is old data but it works to illustrate my point.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Gordie, you're going to absurd lengths to try to prove a point that was shaky from the moment you made that bad car analogy. :D And that's coming from a guy who got to love pitbulls after I actually spent time around some.

What's worse, I don't think Nigel ever advocated banning the dogs. I have skipped part of the discussion, especially when he and Mongo started doing their thing, but I thought that his point was that it was a bad idea to bring one into a household with small kids. While I don't agree with that blanket statement, I do believe that it has some merit. If the dog wasn't in the home before the child, why not consider a different breed? I know with near certainty that the few that I got to know very well would never hurt a kid. But at the end of the day, it's just faith. I wouldn't try to convince someone else to try it with their kids. That would be almost… religious. :D

cav115 likes this.
  8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I believe any good sized dog and a kid left unattended is a recipe for a possible disaster no matter the breed. The kid is very likely to not pick up the warning signs from the dog that an adult would pick up on.

9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Of course I am going to absurd lengths. Do you forget where you are? But I just do not get the "pit hate". Dogs attack people sometimes. Bigger, stronger dogs do more damage. Any bigger, stronger dogs. It probably is not smart to bring any bigger dog in to a home with children. It is just that any dog that even looks slightly terrierish gets called a pitbull if there is an attack and the dog does seem to be the favorite of douchey wannabe thugs that train them to be mean. If it is training then it is tough to blame the dog. Kinda like the spoons make people fat argument. That and I think that I like a greater percentage of "pitbulls" that I like than people...:D

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, shit. The whole post was just a vehicle to call you Gordie and you didn't even respond to that. :D

11. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

:stupid:

We have a golden retriever, probably one of the most family friendly dogs there are, and he hates kids. He hates kids because the asshat kids that used to live across the street from us would throw rocks at him. If anyone comes near the house he sounds like he wants to rip your head off, walk in the front door and he rolls over like a baby and wants his belly rubbed, except for kids. When my best friend comes down with his wife and kid I have to put him up in the bedroom. We tried reconditioning him by putting him in a submissive state and he still growls.

12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:Sorry man. The ambulance chaser calls me that all of the time so I really did not think about it...

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Where did you think I learned it from? I don't even know what it means. :crackup:

It constantly cracks me up because (1) I suspect it's not a compliment and (2) Alf's first name is Gordon. :D

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:I think it was just the most stereotypically "Canadian" name he could think of. As an insult it was weak and lacked imagination but I think Rodger was pretty proud of it so I just go along. :D

I had forgotten about Alf. Damn. You are old too!!!:D

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That's a pig bull. :D

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I had a standard poodle look like that after a storm at Memphis one year.

19. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I have known 2 rotties that were both muzzled in public by court order from biting. Both instances were women who wanted a big ol pal and the dogs thought they had to be the one protecting against danger in public. This is an issue with any dog, any breed, but you're obnoxious when your shitzhu is in charge and dangerous when your pit is in charge.

cav115 and badmoon692008 like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same standard poodle that played in the mud puddle is also the dog I have always felt was most likely to kill someone. Only if they were stupid enough to mess with Evelyne. Granted he was smart enough that if she said someone was cool then he was his normal goofy self.