1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance/House people - HUGE claim...

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jan 17, 2018.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I have a few of these and it drives me INSANE. Is there any way to easily fix them?

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Its usually caused from the box being mounted too far back, not allowing the device to be tightened to the box. They make shim kits for it, but I've used plastic mollys that I've cut with a set of side cutters.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Plastic Mollys would be a good name for a band.

4. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Any updates Chris?? Still wanna see pics.

5. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Yeah, has drying started?

6. The cleanup/demo crew is still in there. They have these bigass dryer machines all over the house and they are removing all the busted ceiling from everywhere, etc.

Once it is all clean, they will start removing all of our stuff and itemizing it. They have to list everything (even like “2 bottles of cologne, 1 tube of toothpaste”, etc. And they aren’t allowed to throw anything away without my consent.

When it’s all done, due to the value of my personal property policy, I will get reimbursed for everything in the house, even the toothpaste. The good part is that I will get full new replacement price (rather than saying that toothpaste was half empty, or that TV was 2 years old, etc).

It will be a long process. The demo crew said it will take them at least 4 weeks to do their part, before any reconstruction can begin.

The demo crew has been really good to deal with. Rather than listing “TV”, they list “Visio 60” 2160p 4K HDTV”, or rather than “cologne”, they say “Mankind 100ml cologne” (even though it was half empty). So on and so forth.

They seem very eager to make sure I get all new stuff that is just as good or better than what I had.

And they said if there is any doubt about anything, even if just the bottom 1” of a wall or 2’ square of a ceiling shows signs of damage, they will condemn the whole thing to make sure I can get a fully brand new house.

So they said I will be able to move walls, or reorientation staircases, extend the kitchen, etc however I want because the whole house will have to be rebuilt.

Bloodhound and pscook like this.
  7. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Wow, sorry to hear about you place but man that update sure makes me wanna revisit my household insurance policy to confirm it has all of those things you mention.

Best of luck with the entire process man, I can't imagine relocating my family for 6-8 months and living out of a suitcase.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My room/house burned when I was 14, insurance got us a town house while it was rebuilt so we were only in a hotel for a few days to a week. Helps you get back to normal even if it's not your own place.

9. I’ve been in a Marriott suite so far. It is really nice. It’s huge, has 2 Queen beds, big TV in front of the beds, a separate living room with couches and another big TV, fridge, microwave, nice gym, indoor pool, etc. Plus it is only about 500’ from my regular gym (the parking lots attach).

I will stay here till I/we find something more “permanent” while the house is being rebuilt.

I actually like it here. It wouldn’t bother me to stay here. But it’s like $200 a night or some shit. I’m sure they will move me to something else if/when we find something more “permanent”.

BigBird likes this.
  10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Shit dude, not what a guy wants to come home to after a month at work, is it. Good luck with everything. It will be a huge pain in the dick but having all new stuff will be nice. Are you both on exactly the same rotation? Coming back after a month and seeing how much was done would be sorta cool as long as they are making progress.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, I've been meaning to ask if your wife is home.

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Don't worry about Chris, he falls in the shithouse and comes out smelling like a rose.
    He can now have custom everything.
    That has to be like a dream come true for an OCD person.
    I almost said OCD sufferer, but he seems to have turned it to his advantage.
    It sucks that it happened but it's just things, not illness or death.
    His two loved ones in the house at the time are okay.
    Chris will be fine. Look, he's already jacked over his temporary accommodations.
    He may have been a Golden Lab in a previous life.

badmoon692008 and Gorilla George like this.
  13. joec

joec brace yourself

Hey Chris, you do have a dog right? I can't keep track. If you do, hoping the adjustment is going well.

14. :timeforabeer:

15. Nope, she is working in Malaysia.

16. Technically no. I’ve got Reggie though. I told him what happened and he didn’t seem to be too bothered about it as long as I keep playing with him every day.

It just means I have to drive across town to play with him rather than walking down the street. But I’ll do it. He shouldn’t be penalized just because my shit flooded.

BigBird, pscook, rd49 and 2 others like this.
  17. joec

joec brace yourself

Awesome!

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. I also have Ralph. He is this huge stuffed frog, he is like 4’ tall and really funny to me. I’ve had him forever. Anyone that has been in the RV has seen Ralph at the track with us.

This picture is Ralph watching MotoGP. :D

It was funny because when I came in and saw the ceiling fell I ran into the bedroom and started jerking huge chunks of the ceiling off Ralph.

Then when the cleaning/demo people were there they said “is there anything that is very important and has sentimental value that you want us to try to salvage?” I said “YES...hang on” and I went and got Ralph and was like “do whatever you have to do to save him”.

Attached Files:

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wow, I never envisioned a day when Reggie wouldn't be your weirdest relationship.

20. Hey shutup. Ralph is my friend. :moon:

He brings good JuJu everywhere.