1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota Tundra timing belts

Discussion in 'General' started by Rain Director, Jan 17, 2018.

1. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Actually, it's about whether the OP's '07 5.7 Tundra is a belt or chain driven valvetrain, as he was told his timing BELT needs changing. Technically speaking, of course.:D

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Hundreds......

There isnt a 20/22R engine out there that hasnt had at least one timing chain replaced on it.
    Done quite a few on the 2GR engines also,
    I havent personally done any on the 4.6/5.7 but they are starting to see some issues with them at the dealers, along with oil consumption issues....Thank God Toyota was smart enough to put the water pump external and not driven off the belt.

I wouldnt blast the dealership too bad, service advisors are fucking idiots for the most part and arent smart enough to understand what goes with which vehicle.

3. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Yes, that motor was notorious for that. But as a general rule, putting aside isolated cases like the 20/22R, timing chains rarely fail and do not need replaced as a routine maintenance.

4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Give it time....
    Some hold up well and others dont.

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well of course that isn't an exaggeration!!!!
    1. One is a finely made Japanese piece of craftsmanship
    2. One is an american made POS that has a loyal following because someone could run the Rubicon on it, yet 99% use it to crawl mall parking lots. I like the way they look from the outside, but people I know that own them, say they aren't made that well. Kinda like how I really love sports cars, but in reality the ones I like aren't made nearly as well as a Japanese vehicle.

6. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

I worked at yota dealer for couple years, had only personally had two timing belts fail but only a few years and 70k plus overdue for replacement and both on 3.4 transverse v6. Replaced plenty on v6 , v8 , and I4 for maintenance. I like 4.7 belt since It was easiest to me because you is was forward and easier to see everything. I replaced one gear set on 4.0 in an fj with less than 100k but was extremely sludgy motor and was stretched prob from lack of oil. I got crank/cam correlation code. Replaced one set on 2gr motor with a couple hundred k on it while was fixing massive cover and cam carrier oil leak so talked owner into that while I had to take it off anyway. I am a fan of belts from a tech side because they are bread and butter money makers!

7. No they are not that’s why I took most of the stuff off that breaks and put better stuff on. I work for a major auto supplier so have access to a lot of warranty data, from 2011-16 Chrysler still sucks but Toyota is sliding downhill and fast. Oh and btw, only reason I bought a Jeep is to use it as it be. I was in deep rocky hilly terrain with all of 200 Miles on it. Enough to rio both stock steps off as my rock rails weren’t in yet :)

8. Boman Forklift

Wellllll.....I don't know buckwheat, but he said he may want to have fun with it. I'm in the big ole city of Los Angeles, and believe it or not, they have undercover investigations at auto mechanic dealerships on the news and in the paper here? WTF

bleacht likes this.
  9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Damn you are old. :D

10. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Chains are good except when the PLASTIC timing gears crack and the chain slips on an interference engine.
    Timing chains are great except when they stretch so much the front side cuts a slit in the timing cover.
    I have experienced both.
    First on a Buick LaSabre, asked does it have a timing chain, yes. Great I'm set, until the gear broke and torched the engine.
    The second on a Malibu, had to do the timing cover. Which means dropping the oil pan, which meant getting the freaking starter out of the way to get to all the bolts, which meant pulling the bolt on the passenger engine mount so I could access the starter bolts.

OP, how lucky do you feel. Don't replace it and hope.
    It breaks and you get a nice fresh engine or a partial rebuild best case.
    OR you can get a replacement vehicle.

Divide 100k miles for doing a complete timing chain, gears, tensioner, water pump, tensioner for the serpentine belt and water pump.
    If your handy, DIY this spring. Personally since I've done two, and paid for 3.
    My time and back is worth the money.

SoCal1000 likes this.
  11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Quite a few failures. Many more wear and "stretch" as you say. Failure doesn't have to be catastrophic to cause issues, as you eluded to with rough running and hard starting. We're splitting hairs now aren't we? They both wear out and fail, some more on others, I'm just calling it like i see it, day in and day out. I'm no more or less inclined to buy one over the other.

12. Boman Forklift

Hey Holmes, that was in reruns when I watched it!!!!!!!

rd49 likes this.
  13. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

When it comes to Toyota there is a big difference between the ones made in Japan and the ones made in America.

As far as timing chains go, I have only bought BMWs for my daily drivers since about '99 and have never had so much as a rattle out of one. Before that I was all VW and changing timing belts out of fear of them breaking.

A good friend bought a used 300zx twin turbo around 97 or 98 and within a week or two the timing belt broke while idling at a light. He was bummed to say the least.

14. Boman Forklift

You've been driving BMW's for almost 20 years and never had any problems? Or you've never had any timing chain problems, which would be a heck of a lot more believable.

_indy likes this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Uhh, the Audi 3.2l motor lacks timing belts. :Poke:

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Other than the Town & Country, right @BigBird? :D

BigBird likes this.
  17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Buckwheats for everyone.

[​IMG]

18. I’m pretty sure that’s a given :). My dad’s always had a new mini van every 3 years for a commuter car as he worked at the Chrysler Plant. The later town n countries without wood were awesome 4-5 person road trip cars with the boys. Put proper snow tires on there and they were great to take on ski trips. I just wish a mini van wasn’t, well, a mini van as they are practical as hell.

BigBird likes this.
  19. I’m fully aware of that and have all that data as well. I do A LOT with Yota.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

You know it :D

This guy gets it :D