1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota Tundra timing belts

Discussion in 'General' started by Rain Director, Jan 17, 2018.

1. condon66

condon66 Member well known

It doesn't have a timing belt. It has a timing chain. Unless there's an issue with a timing chain you dont need to mess with it.

It doesn't have a timing belt.:rtfrb::D

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

It's the Beeb... I'm surprised the thread hasn't devolved into a diesel vs. gas discussion.

turner38 likes this.
  3. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Gotta love dealers and idiot service advisors.

Rain Director likes this.
  4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Had something similar the other day on a ford something or other. Customer was told she needs a timing belt, I looked up the parts only to find timing chain references and such, opened her hood and I'm the hero telling her she doesn't need to spend 5-800$ on a timing belt job.

Chains are great when they work, but get WAY more expensive than a 100k mile timing belt change. Who's ever done one on a GM quad cam 3.4?

5. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Golly gee, Beav, what sleepy little town do you live in that a news station would give a crap about some guy and his truck repair? I want to move there.

Razr likes this.
  6. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Yeah but have you seen the chains on that thing? It’s dohc and has chains like a stretched Busa.

0.1% stretch on that thing and valves are punching through pistons, plastic water pump is melting, serpentine belt is squealing...screw it. Why don’t you just trade it in and get a Duramax or Cummins?

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Who cares about that motor?

Anybody priced a cam chain job on an Audi 3.2? :moon:

8. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the dealership I took my 2wd Silverado to for an oil change and I was told my front differential needed a fluid change.

I asked them to please show me the front diff.

Sigh

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Same thing applies to a chain. Replace it when manufacturer suggests or possibly face consequences. Everything is wearable.

10. condon66

Timing chains almost never fail before other things make the car worthless. More often a timing chain will "stretch" and start to cause difficulty starting or loss of power. Have you ever seen a recommended maintenance mileage based replacement in a manual for a timing chain? I dont believe I have.

11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Just because it wears doesn't mean there is an interval for changing. Your block wears out, they don't recommend changing it at any point in the life of the vehicle though.

condon66 and badmoon692008 like this.
  12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

From one of the Tundra forums I belong to:

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Uhh, maybe because this thread is about timing belts and the lack thereof.

14. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

They fail all the time. Plenty of vehicles out there with timing chain/ guide/ tensioner issues. One off the top of my head is GM 2.4's. Gm has an extended warranty on them even they were so bad. We had two come in the last week alone. One was a 2010 and the other a 13 both with less than 100k on them. I see more chain issues than belt issues.

BHP41 likes this.
  15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Other than some ill-advised platform sharing (Matris/Vibe), WTF does GM crap have to do with Toyota discussions? How many timing chain issues have you (or anyone) seen with Toyota/Lexus?

condon66 likes this.
  16. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Just a generalization among vehicles containing them. I haven't seen a timing chain fail on many Toyota's, then again I haven't seen a belt fail either so, moot point maybe? That would be a question for a Toyota dealership. I've seen Ford, GM, Chrysler all have timing chain issues however. They aren't invincible. I'm sure they get replaced in race bike motors on a regular interval?

17. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

:crackup:
    Film at 11.

18. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Ohhhh I like that.. :D

19. condon66

Tensioner issues yes, chain issues no.

20. condon66

How many "chain" issues as you put it are because of an actual failed chain like I spoke of? I said nothing about guides or tensioners.