1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance/House people - HUGE claim...

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jan 17, 2018.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Big T hit all the nails on the head. Good advice! As a Public Adjuster I also deal with this stuff daily, but representing the insured as he also mentioned.

Steeltoe likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

I meant the actual gas furnace. I remember my parents have to put water in there's every few days. My one has a line directly to it with a auto valve.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You've got radiators?

BigBird likes this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

don't know...I'll have to ask @JBraun :D

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Hire a public adjuster

6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Never heard of that, but I live, and grew up, in the south :D

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Me either and I grew up in cold land. All I can think is a humidifier. Don't think boilers need refilling that often but could easily be wrong there.

8. You are not wrong. Boiler/radiators is a closed system.

BigBird likes this.
  9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Hire this guy. I did and would do it again.

Phl218 and omatter34 like this.
  10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Send me your information too, please. I'm about to enter a fire restoration project for a client, and may need a few pointers.

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:eek: Oh no.....you didn't !!! :Poke:

12. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

This is shitty man. Wish you the best. Had an old tank heater fail in the middle of the night and woke up to my bedroom and living room flooded. What a PITA.

13. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but could you not live in the death star (since you're not really here much), and potentially pocket the living expenses while you're "put out" of your main home?

Sorry to hear about this. I forgot to mention that earlier when I was typing from memory.

TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  14. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

I was going to do this for my two water heaters that are nicely located in the 2nd floor attic. I was going to make my own, but found a company that makes a unit that clamps to a ball valve and can move the lever. Was going to drive it with a relay off an arduino moisture sensor. The point being auto-shutoff if the water heater starts to leak. Along with an alarm.

EDIT: Just made it to the post where someone else brought up this same thing...haha. The actuator I found was only $20 vs $100, but the same general idea.

15. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

sorry your house died bro. we're on week 2 over my way, Servpro is still coming every day for the fucked up townhouse on the end of the block. no bueno.

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

Sorry about the house man. Glad nobody got injured...

17. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That sucks major balls, good luck with your claim and the rebuild.

18. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

My ex's house burned up (elect fire in the garage....yes, I'm alibi-ed :D) 4 years ago and the house was extensively water damaged. I remember her documenting EVERYTHING as far as posessions. Literally hundreds of line items. Giant PITA but completely necessary. They were out for nearly a year as it was a complete gut and rebuild. Good luck and sorry about your shitty deal :oops:

19. JRA

JRA Well-Known Member

Sounds like a big mess but it doesn't matter how big the mess is it is it can be fixed. Short of burning to the ground anything can be repaired. Chris, you've been given a few pieces of good advice here, and also some very ignorant advice. I could look at it for you and offer mine as well. Landmark would be one contractor you might want to talk to, they do this kind of insurance repair work all the time. There are a couple of others locally too. I could probably get you some names.

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. Been doing a lot of shit today and dealing with a lot of people, and learning about my policy (which I obviously should have done before now, but who plans on shit like this).

It helps that I have 2 family members in State Farm, and the Agent is a buddy of mine. I gotta say, they are really looking after me. They were actually looking after me when they setup the policy back in the beginning (it was one of the family members that setup my policy).

There is a cleaning/demo crew in there now. They will remove and itemize everything. If I want something cleaned and restored (clothes, pictures, etc) they will do it. Or if I want something shitcanned, they will do that too.

The house is going to be gutted. I will be out of it for probably 6 months at least. They won’t do the “part of the ceiling or floor in this room”, kinda thing. If part of something is damaged, they replace all of it (walls, ceilings, floors, staircases, etc). The house will be all new when it’s done.

I have $250k worth of personal property in my policy. Because of that, there are some things that weren’t actually in the water (TVs that were elevated, etc) but they will replace them anyway. They said even if they seem/look ok, there could be moisture on the inside that could cause issues down the road. So they always lean towards the side of caution. If something has sentimental value, they will try to save it for me, but if not they will replace it since my policy is more than enough to replace all of the furniture, appliances, etc.

As far as value, I will get full replacement value (regardless of how old something is). BUT there is a catch.

Say if it costs $2,500 to replace the TV for a brand new one just like it (for example). They will give me $1250 up front, then when I actually replace the TV with a new one, they will give me a check for the other $1250. That is how they try to deter people from just keeping all the money.

So if I don’t want to replace something, I can just keep the money, but I won’t get full value of it.