1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No HWT Classes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by S Tsotsoros, Jan 13, 2018.

1. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

The only 2 guys who have really run V6HW for the last 8+ years both have bikes that make well over 150HP at the tire. One of them is closer to 170.

2. BEi Racing

BEi Racing Well-Known Member

Notice I said "Talladega" where we are running 56-57 second lap times. We see some of the Novices twice in a 10 lap sprint race. I was battling with Mesa two years ago at Tally, and we split a guy. Mesa spooked him and he moved over into me, we hit and he went down hard, and I ran off the track. Money classes where there are people 10-15 seconds off the pace shouldn't be on the track at the same time at Tally.

3. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Correct. I stated that earlier but played cute by saying "over at the other side" instead of CCS.
    Back in the day, Loudon seemed the be the epicenter of twins racing. There was a fierce rivalybetween BCM and Dunbar Eurosports. That's not happening anymore. Bruce Meyers moved on (He's now with MV Agusta) and Tom Fournier has called it quits after a freak incident that required brain surgery. Seacoast Sportcycle is the only Ducati shop running at Loudon. Normally we at LRRS would continue running the class if the numbers supported it. (We ran 8 non CCS classes in 2017.) The numbers aren't supporting the class. We averaged 4 Experts and 4 Amateurs per event in 2017. Big twins aren't making it.
    But it's not the end of the world because those bikes are competitive in other classes. I submit as proof the results of the Unlimited Grand Prix held during our May event back in 2010. Note the mixe of 4's and twins in the results. I picked this race to show this has been going on for a long time, but also to show Eric's lap time, which to this day still stands as the NHMS motorcycle lap record.
    Don Hutchinson used to always say, "I can only guarantee you one class in which your bike is competitive."

[​IMG]

4. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

So going into my second racing year now at age 45 plus, on my 2011 RC8, what classes will it qualify for in in stock format? Any vintage classes? I used to just run the hwt classes as it was easy to figure out I belonged there.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  5. 418

418 Expert #59

F1, ASBK, ASSTK, Old Man class

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Within a couple of events of me starting the class yep. Billy just wants to jump in on giving me shit :D

BEi Racing likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah got ya. The upside to that scenario is the only riders going that far tend to be really good riders with experience and I can trust them to get around the slow stuff safely. But as always if it becomes an issue we'd adjust as necessary and need be pull the super slow stuff from V5.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's the part that sucks. Fast V8 riders are faster than the Novices, slow ones are slower than the Novices. The reason we grid it the way we do is simple - I trust you guys to get through the slow F1 Novices more than I trust fast Novices to get through slower Vintage bikes. You have more experience and skill.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cool, didn't think they were making that kind of power. Obviously they know how to use it as it hasn't been an issue with the slower bikes but if it is I'll fix it.

10. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

With the solos gone and every weekend being a twin sprint or Regional/National (besides the 3 endurance rounds), that's 6-8 sprints a weekend for a racer with a HWT bike. That's quite a bit of racing.

11. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

The V6/V7 guys love having HWT in the same race. It actually gives them people to race against!..lol

It’s very satisfying to pass a modern bike on a 80’s bike. Without HWT on that grid, it’s gonna be 2 guys checking out on...the other 2 guys. Eboz can draft...and pass most Panigales out there, not to mention a 675. We call it modern bowling :)

Listen, if your decision is set in stone...it is what it is. No sense in beating a dead horse, I just think you could still have HWT with the V5/6/7 race and everyone who be happy. You’ll get more entries, and you’ll accomplish what you set out to do, which is make room for Vintage in a double header.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's not set in stone. But I see way more potential issues adding V5 to HWT Superbike than with the V6 HW bikes.

13. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Then V5 to F2 would eliminate that entirely as it is the "peak" of lightweight and any V5 riders have lots if bump ups available. V5 in F2 isnt much different than the slower stuff that runs with LWTss/sb. Or something I'm missing looking from outside?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not missing anything I can see.

So I'll look at putting V5 in with F2 and we'll keep HWT Superbike. Works for me.

15. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Awesome! And now I have no reason to keep the Buell SS eligible. If only I could find SB parts nowadays. lol.

16. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Cool, I can't easily see overall #'s but figured it would not get "too deep" at most events. Just give V5 green with novice wave if lots of riders show.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

F2 winds up being LW Twins SB junior so it should be more than fine.

Brad likes this.
  18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I've been with WERA since 2003 and I still have no idea what the V1-1,236 class designations mean. :D

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  19. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

This is no way to go about destroying roadracing in America! :flag: :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  20. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Awesome!