1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long to let an elderly loved one be independent?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by auminer, Jan 5, 2018.

1. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

Not much more to offer here other than words of encouragement. I ended up moving my old man from St Louis to a Kansas City assisted living place, he was pissed at first but we ended up having 6 great years together. with some good moto friends help I even got him to a couple races. I know it's challenging now but you won't regret the hard decisions and at some point you'll look back and remember these times fondly. Miss this guy everyday- 1424544_10153017761167711_6140753356567379970_n.jpg

crashman and Yzasserina like this.
  2. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

You just did. I love everything about this post, and a like click wasn't enough.

Can I just say, also, that I applaud and admire all of you, as men, in sharing your feelings, your anxiety, your doubts. Scary territory. Very, very well done. :) :clap:

3. shell015

shell015 Member

I am by far no expert but have learned a lot from my own issues with my 87 year old father's health. For starters, medicare is what all retired folks get for general healthcare since we all pay into it from the day we first got a job. Medicare pays for hospital visits and short term care. If you check out of a hospital and go to physical rehab place, medicare stops paying at the 120 day period of rehab. If the individual has any savings, funds, assets of any sort, or ability to self pay, they're on the hook to pay the full rate to the tune of about $7000 per month (at least in southwest Virginia) until you exhaust all your savings, funds, assets value (might be required to sell home, car, cash in life insurance, etc). If the person is married and the spouse lives in the house, the house does not have to be sold and one car can be kept too. Medicaid will look at income and expenses/living needs for the spouse still living at home to determine if the individual in long term care qualifies for Medicaid and/or reduced cost to stay in assisted living. It's a huge pain in the ass. Trust me. I know. Dealing with it now and a bull headed father who thinks he can do everything, when he can only so little.

beac83 and biggenyz426 like this.