1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No HWT Classes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by S Tsotsoros, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

That is the first stupid thing I've ever heard you say. I should say ignorant, you are very far from stupid.

2. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

I think about myself also. But, I also scratch my head wondering if trying to make something grow in an obviously difficult sport that isn't "growing" if at all, why eliminate a class 100%? You get more entries in open classes. So take an average of 5 racers in HWT over the course of a year. Maybe 1-2 go to A, but you lose 3-4. There are a lot of other orgs that still cater to HWT and will probably get those riders.

ARHMA, CCS, CMRA, etc are all close to a lot of us. I know I was always trying to get ARHMA guys with modern twins to race WERA and get our grids bigger. I want bigger grids. I hate when nobody shows up. I really do. It is somewhat hollow, but I had some cool battles with Steve this year and learned a lot. It just sucks. HWT twins showcases some really cool machines. Buells, KTMS, Triumphs and of course Ducs. A lot of those will go bye-bye. Riders change bikes, move somewhere else or simply stop.

Think about the kid that bought the RC8 end of last year thinking HWT was a cool class. He buys it, gets stoked and is told he has to race in the open class. Again, maybe an example of a guy that hasn't got to the comfort level of racing against the Billys, Mays, Knapps, Kerrs, Krafts, etc. HWT still is a place for fast bikes that are very different than the In-Lines. But he will maybe give it a try. Maybe...

I am all for streamlining. Been at this since 1993 and always wished the classes were streamlined. But combining is a way to do that same thing.

3. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

I didn't want to say it. The fact that people write this class off as a participation class or rich person class is silly. My 1299S is almost bone stock with exception to internals on suspension and exhaust. I can promise that there are plenty of open bikes with more money invested. But because a 1299S costs more are retail, we are all apparently hipsters and rich kids that are afraid to compete...

MachineR1, Christian157 and Phl218 like this.
  4. :stupid:

Nailed it.

dickie doo likes this.
  5. You have a very short memory...
    http://www.wera.com/contingency/?x=1098

I agree, the 1299S is awesome. I have raced tons of bikes and I set a personal-best at Tally on the Duc. And for the record, I have never shied away from any races or competition. I have always done the A/F1 races also; hell I have done the A/F1 races on 600's many times over the years. So for me, dropping HWT isn't about losing "my" class, it is about losing "a" class...because I like to race a lot and I want to do all of them.

6. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I saw this coming.
    But I thought maybe HWT would still get one race HWTSB. Sean Is that possible? They would still be sharing the track with a class so no track time issue... I don't write the schedule so not sure if that is feasible.

Participation has dropped but I've seen it drop and come back...

This thread hassome really... let's say "uneducated" things being said...

No doubt... I won a really substantial amount of money on my KTM. KTM paid $1,000 a win until they stopped making the RC8R. They still pay that for the SDR.

WOAH...
    I guess racing against Giovanni Rojas, Scott Brown, Mean Gene Burcham, Geoff May, BrOOME, Emerson Connor (what ever happened to that kid), Steve Tsosoros, Brian Helea, etc etc is easy but I had some amazing battles and fun in the class...
    maybe you meant to say on certain weekends because that class was like any other and on certain weekends racing for 5th place could be a challenge...

I feel really bad for guys like Steve and Brian. Those guys have significant money invested in the class for this year.

Also this doesn't affect me so I think im being objective. Lol. I'm moving to an inline four to race the Triple Crowm etc. the twins just don't stack up against the inline four bikes well enough.

Ride safe,
    AAron

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    HEF211, 418, Yzasserina and 1 other person like this.
  7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Sorry, circling back on this. I have four, no nine, words for you:

Eddie Kraft
    Bradley Champion

Fast mofos. Really, really fast.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

This is the regional schedule Sean posted in the 2018 Vintage thread...

1) Grom Cup & WERA Minis (4 laps)
    2) C Superbike Ex & NV
    3) Formula 1 Expert & Novice, V8 HW
    4) LWT SS, DSB, ESS,V5,
    5) B Superbike Expert & Novice, V7 HW, V8 MW
    6) LWT SB, DSS, FSS,V6 LW,
    7) A Superbike Expert & Novice
    8) Clubman, V6 MW, V4, V3, 500GP
    9) C Superstock Expert & Novice
    10) V6 HW, V7MW,
    11) A Superstock Expert & Novice
    12) Formula 2 Ex & Nv
    13) HW & MW Senior Superbike Ex & Nv
    14) B Superstock Expert & Novice

HWT raced in 2) and 10). Those races have nothing new replacing HWT. I'm not seeing how scrapping HWT opens up room - Vintage still fits into this DH format.

9. Many times race 2 had to be split because trying to put all of the HWT riders, and all of the C riders, Expert and Novice, in the same race, was just too much. So something needed to be done there. Removing HWT-SS from that race was a good decision (even though I don't personally like it, it was a good thing to do).

But I don't see why there can't be a single HWT-SB race included in race 10 (eliminate HWT-SS from race 2 so the C-EX+NV grid is better, but keep HWT-SB in race 10).

Are there really that many V6-HW and V7-MW racers...enough to warrant their own race (while HWT gets their race removed)? That is a legit question, because even with HWT being included in that race in the past, I never remember it being crowded. I barely remember seeing any V6/V7 dudes during the race.

10. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Oh WTF I am losing my mind. Couple more words.

Tray Batey.

Think I'm done. Yep!

DucatiBomber and Gorilla George like this.
  11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Results page shows that at this year's GNF a total of 6 bikes entered and 3 bikes started the race between those two classes (v6hw & v7mw).

That should be a real exciting race to watch each weekend.

12. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Anybody want to buy a KTM?

418 and DucatiBomber like this.
  13. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Well... this was my first year racing. I did the HWT and the A races. Yea for a noob A Superstock was nuts, but it's exciting and I got to learn and improve my lap times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metalhead likes this.
  14. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

After looking at the schedule, race 10 is where you could put one HWT race. In fact, that’s where it’s always been.

V6/V7 is very close to my heart. I got my start racing in that class and have followed it closely since ‘04. But at the regional level you will be hard pressed to find more than 2-4 riders. It’s been like that since 08/09.

Look at the HWT grids from Road Atlanta 2016. ‘17 was lighter, but historically the participation fluctuates slightly year to year. Pretty healthy grid there.

With the cost of the 1199’s going down, I think you’re going to see more of them popping up at club races. Bottom line is it’s kind of cool to have a class where the bikes are unique. They look different, they sound different and they make power in a different way than the in-lines. I think keeping the one class should be considered. Regardless of how the WERA version of the class started (Suzuki Cup), it has developed a pretty cool following and carries on a tradition that the AMA and many orgs around the world recognized 3-4 decades ago.

Leave one class and then the guys will bump up to “A” for their other races.

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

Nailed it.

Analyzing market trends is tricky.

Running a business that caters a broad range of customers doesn’t make it easier when it comes to participation predictions.

Might help to look out which the cash cows are... loyalty, recognition, etc,...

badmoon692008 likes this.
  16. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Eh, Rob's not entirely wrong. I fit the stereotype of the hobby HWT guy. Always rode twins and got the expert bump off of points from light grids so I never had the pace for ABC expert classes. HWT was a nice safe home where I didn't have to worry about getting my front wheel chopped - (at least in the NC), I traded the apparent safety for only having limited opportunities for close racing. I don't have the time to race enough now to get faster so I just do my 1-2 rounds every year and stay on my plateau. But ,at least in NC, the grids were shrinking to the point that I bought an SV and switched to LW last year. It's fun but just doesn't excite like a big twin so I was going to run a mix this year.

I'm surprised more LWT SBK folks aren't chiming in. Seems like that was always their bump up and now are just left with LWT-SB and F2. Will the demise of HWT shrink the LWT grid?

Boman Forklift and dobr24 like this.
  17. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

I mean I could still race old man but I'm not comin out for one race. I don't see myself runnin AMA light with a bunch of youngsters and bounty hunters I gotta buisness to run Mon-Fri.

18. Roo-

Roo- If Dogs Could Purr...

Evelyn, Sean….please keep the HWT classes in WERA. Combine their races if you have to but please keep them as a separate championship class.

Give us a chance to gain support for an exclusive class of racing in WERA Heavy Weight Twins. Please DON’T cancel the HWT classes!

On Friday Jan. 19, 2018 the CEO of Ducati North America, Jason Chinnock will be at my dealership. As part of his visit, I plan on talking with him about WERA racing, and how WERA has been a primary venue for Ducati enthusiasts and owners who want to track their motorcycles. I have a proposal for Ducati to become involved in or a sponsor of WERA’s HWT Twins Class racing to support and encourage new and continued participation in local road racing, which in turn will boost local Ducati sales. Ducati has not invested or supported local area racers since they shifted their budgets to MotoGP and Superbike, but then, Jason Chinnock hasn't met me yet. :) I believe that even a small amount of participation and contribution to Club racing would be of benefit for both Ducati and WERA racing.

To help promote safe and enjoyable motorcycle ownership and competitive racing; to encourage participation from major manufacturers to invest and contribute to a passionate and invigorating sport; to perpetuate our love for motorcycles and road racing; and to help in research and future development of their motorcycles and racing venues. There is so much more to gain for all if we could energize the local races with branded sponsorships. Because my husband has won National & Regional Championships on his Ducati in WERA HWT, I can showcase all of this to Jason Chinnock during his visit. I have pictures, championship plates, even Jim’s race bike! Even Jim, altho he is not the mouthpiece that I am. But to show that local Twins racing is alive and competitive, right now thru WERA, without manufacturer sponsorships.

And even tho Jim is OLDER now, his racing accomplishments encourage and inspire YOUNGER (and older too) people into the bikes and WERA. I tell many customers and people that WERA racing is doable and affordable on a regional basis. And because I sell Ducati’s, well…I promote racing in HWT class for newbies. I sell BMW S1000RR too, and I tell them about racing. These bikes were built for racing! Jim’s WERA HWT win plates are up in my dealership - they attract a lot of attention from all customers, not just Ducati buyers. And believe me when I tell you that it helps make the sale when their eyes open up on the prospects of running a Twins bike on a track and winning! I tell them about WERA racing; many didn’t know about WERA, or that they could be competitive in a class of their own. Most people outside WERA have no clue what the “Classes” are - they just know Racing = 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. So yes, it is SIGNIFICANT to be able to show-off that Number 1 “trophy” - especially to a potential buyer and my bike manufacturer. You don’t get trophies for last place. Winning races = bike sales = WERA new entries!

I know Ducati is launching their V4 platform. These new bikes will retail at around $40K. Yes, these new bikes will race competitively in A Superbike classes. But they will not become prevalent for a few more years yet. Let them work out the bugs in the first year, and maybe after that the price will drop enough for us “regular” enthusiasts to buy one. And maybe race it with dreams of becoming a sponsored rider - the new & younger racers. :)
    But Ducati is still producing and supporting their established Panigale’s (1299, 1199, Corse 959), the new Supersport, Monster (821, 1200) & Scrambler (800, 1100) Twins. Ducati says they are upbeat because they showed increase in bike sales last year. More wins in MotoGP and Superbike have helped boost Ducati sales, even amidst talk of the company being sold. But now they are not selling the company - they are in it to continue this trend. The Twins will continue to carry them.

WERA has many new Ducati’s racing in the HWT classes, and if we help promote the class racing, you will get more (not just Ducati’s). But they are not as competitive against the liter bikes in A Superbike without a lot of money and mods; on a Club level racing venue, few have unlimited $$$ and resources to make this happen. If you want to win those races, buy a liter bike for the A class. We all know that, as racers and Twins owners. They, like the Triumph's, Buell’s, Aprilia's, KTM’s, SV’s have always been more competitive or evenly-matched if you like, and more fun to race against each other in WERA’s HWT classes. That is why I want Ducati to be involved in the HWT racing classes. It is THE showcase class for their bikes and what non-factory riders, us Privateers - aka their customers can attain. I want to promote new bike sales and new participation in WERA racing when these people buy these new bikes! I appreciate you want to give more track time to Vintage racing; Vintage racers have a whole series and organization dedicated to Vintage racing : ARHMA, but your younger patrons aren’t too interested in buying vintage bikes, certainly not to race them. Maybe it’s too much work, effort, $$ & trying to find obsolete parts? Ducati’s goal is to attract YOUNGER buyers, and WERA needs these younger buyers to start racing.

I can’t promise I can sway the CEO of Ducati to take any interest in WERA racing, but at least I have this opportunity to propose it to him. My dealership received the award for the “Highest Growth in Sales” of Ducati’s in US; I am the President of the Ducati Club of Jacksonville. If he realizes that we can “touch” a lot of Ducati enthusiasts and potential new customers, maybe he will find merit in my proposal. It’s a small chance but I am passionate about Ducati’s and Jim’s racing in WERA HWT. And I am going to have the CEO's ear on Friday.

But it would be pointless if WERA cancels HWT classes in their schedules. I cannot propose an exclusive sponsorship and participation in a class that the Twins bikes cannot be competitive in.
    It HAS to involve a HWT class series within WERA otherwise he will just remember me as the gal in Florida that creeped him out during his visit. 9th, 10th, 11th place finishes in A Superbike do not sell bikes. Ug. 2017 GNF Superbike class - all liter bikes, no Twins bikes. My Ducati customers will not take up WERA racing if they are not going to have a chance on the track. No CCS HWT classes to enter either so WERA could potentially sign up all the Twins riders.
    So please, help me - continue the HWT classes let’s see if we can’t involve more manufacturers to WERA racing. I support all the other brands too in this class, but I just happen to sell Ducati’s so that is why I am pushing Ducati involvement. And who’s ear better to tweek than the CEO’s? Not just for Ducati’s, but the Triumphs, Buell, KTMs, Suzuki’s, Aprilias, Guzzi’s, Indians, Yamaha’s…your Bike!

PLEASE - keep the HWT classes. It is a great venue class which will see more participation from racers and sponsors.

And Thank You always for your support and consideration.

Roo Eberhart

For everyone who is close to Jacksonville, FL: You are all WELCOME to come out and meet Jason Chinnock on Friday Jan. 19, 2018. Plan for 11AM at BMW-Ducati Motorcycles of Jacksonville at 1515 Wells Rd, Orange Park FL 32073. Please feel free to contact me at: 904-375-2921 x5. or email: [email protected]
    The more people I can present to meet him, the better! :) especially if you all wear a WERA logo!
    In case of weather or change of his itinerary, please check updates on:
    www.ducatijax.com
    facebook.com/ducatijax

19. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Damn first one of Broomes classes gets nuked then Roo comes along and sets a new record for longest bbs post ever. Sorry Chris tomorrow is another day.

20. Roo-

Roo- If Dogs Could Purr...

I am the Mouthpiece when I need to be :)

Phl218 and renegade17 like this.