1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Bburns912

Bburns912 Well-Known Member

a completly stock class or a full unlimited superbike class... hmmm whats gonna be cheaper??? smh. id expect to win the twins class people are going to be going through 1-2 engines a weekend

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Zoran, Well since I haven't bought a new bike since my Ducati 916, I would probably pickup a used bike.

Porting, cams pistons, etc isn't cheap if you pay someone else to do it, which I would have to. Built FZ07 Yamahas seem to be really expensive, I remember hearing Palmers top dog with trans fix, bodywork, forks, porting, pistons, etc is 25k? Haven't seen when ktm will come out or the price point. I'm guessing a SV won't have the ponies, but I know Parrish is fast and you have some fast guys too. I doubt the harleys are worthwhile? Will the Ducati really be a player?

I see zx10s set up for 10 to 14k. Haven't seen any new GSXRs setup for sale? I've seen some R1s but don't remember them being as inexpensive as ZX10s? Not sure if I would want to mess with trying to setup the swingarm/handling on a Panigale.

What's your thought on the best twin class bike?

3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Have to wait and see which one wins :)
    Hard to say. I don't like rules, hard to predict what will be bike to have. I guess most will be close at beginning until war starts.

cajun636 and Boman Forklift like this.
  4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

IMO, until the KTM790 hits the US, the FZ07 is most likely the best of the homologated bunch. It's a 690, it's 30 lbs lighter than an SV, and it's a new design with relatively light wheels (5.5" rear) and excellent brakes. An FZ07 with a superstock spec chassis and a 90-93 hp motor will be a frontrunner with the right pilot, and way less than a superstock 1000.

Dragginass likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why? Still sell more 600's than the others. Not sure why the rumors persist that they're going somewhere.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It may depend on which manufacturers continue to build/develop their 600's. It might ultimately just become an R6 cup.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

When is the last time you saw sales numbers? Curious how many R3's were sold last year vs. R6/R1. I wouldn't be surprised if actual 600's mostly go away in favor of 650-850 "middleweights", mostly twins.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Haven't looked in a while but the people I know at the OEM's have said they sell a ton of 600's. I see more 600's on the street. I see more 600's on the track. The little bikes are much much much bigger worldwide sure, but that won't nuke the 600's.

9. I almost like that idea better.

10. One with a metric shit ton of money into it anda great rider piloting it :)

11. Kelly Rees

Kelly Rees Well-Known Member

Why would the biggest grid be gone?

blake holt likes this.
  12. Tristan

Cause mfg.'s stop making 600's???

13. Kelly Rees

Wont happen.

cajun636 likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm still curious where the rumors keep coming from. My guess is normal internet silliness, one person said it and it spreads with no real reasoning backing it up.

15. Tristan

I don't know (or really care) if 600's are going away, but whatever happens- race classes will follow what sells on the street, not the other way around (sadly).

16. Kelly Rees

Its all stemming from the CBR deal in Europe.

17. Tristan

How long will people keep buying 600's if development remains stagnant? Especially if lots of new models in other classes continue to progress?

DucatiBomber likes this.
  18. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

No it’s stemming from sales, insurance, lack of bike development (from lack of sales), etc, etc...

Ride safe,
    AAron

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What sales figures are you seeing? I can't find anything broken down by displacement.

20. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

If the lack of development doesn’t tell you enough go talk to dealers.
    I have.
    I have yet to find one talking positive about 600 sales.
    Most sell maybe a handful a year recently.
    To be honest most will tell you they don’t even want to sell Sport bikes.
    People are buying naked bikes, adventure bikes, etc.
    They sell a bit more liter bikes based on development and technology advances.

Manufactures like BMW are on record saying development of a 600 is a waste of time. The sales aren’t there to justify it and costs are almost same as developing the 1000.

Dorna will pay attention to these trends. MotoAmerica pays attention to Dorna.

Ride safe,
    AAron

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Gorilla George likes this.