1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baseboard molding repair

Discussion in 'General' started by worthless, Jan 3, 2018.

1. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Picture fell off the wall and took a big chunk out of the molding. What's the best stuff to repair MDF? Drywall joint compound? DryDex? Something else?

2. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Tear that whole run of base out, and replace with new. And for the love of jesus, buy finger-jointed, primed base, not that MDF garbage.

Newsshooter and YZROOSTINYA like this.
  3. worthless

Thanks...no. Open floor plan and all baseboard connects. Looking for quick fix, not major project.

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

As a motorcycle guy, you should have some Bondo laying around...

BigBird and JBall like this.
  5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Don't stop there. Better tear down and rebuild your house too, those walls don't sound very structurally sound if they can't support a picture.....

Depends on the chunk, but drywall compound would work if you have it (probably be my last choice though). If you have to go and buy something I'd go into the plumbing/electrical dept and buy some Oatey fix it stick. It's a 2 part epoxy putty, and great for shit like this. Like jb weld (which would also work if you have it) but not liquid.

BigBird likes this.
  6. worthless

It's about 8" long and of course it's the radiused part of the molding.

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Surely, as a man, you have a 10" drywall knife in your set???

Dig out any loose pieces, and use DryDex to form it to the profile with said drywall knife. Lightly sand and repeat until it looks like glass. Don't skimp, paint the base from corner to corner.

XFBO and worthless like this.
  8. worthless

Don't have a 10, but, have a 12.
    Painting from corner to corner would mean about 23' of painting. Plus, I think Michael J Fox has steadier hands than me, so, I'd have to tape the whole run top and bottom. I'm going to try touch up and maybe put a chair in front of it.

XFBO and G Dawg like this.
  9. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

This. Signs of a true American fix-it-yourself man. Right up there with zipties, bungee cords, and duct tape.

10. worthless

Thanks for the reminder...almost out of duct tape...and WD40.

BigBird and terminus est like this.
  11. worthless

Fixed...and yes, of course. Thinking fiberglass repair might be a little over the top, but, definitely considered.

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I was suggesting regular body filler, not bondo glass. Easy to shape, easy to sand. Any of the 2 part epoxy sticks (suggested earlier) would be good too, but you'll need to shape them more carefully as they're not nearly as easy to sand once cured.

r6fast and Phl218 like this.
  13. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I used Durham's Rock Hard to repair the trim in our old house. The one before that Bondo. Both worked well.

14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Got kids?

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  15. tpadden

tpadden Well-Known Member

Wood putty

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Woodweld by JB I think it's called.

Sent from a smatrphone

17. worthless

First coat of DryDex is drying. Looks like its going to be pretty easy to fill. I'll still probably end up with a chair in front of it.

terminus est likes this.
  18. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

The beeb is no place for common sense.

19. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Wood putty no bueno on a damaged piece that large, plus it will not setup and be sandable.

20. G2G

G2G I feel the need

post a pic of the damage