1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorsports on TV.

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, Dec 26, 2017.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Maybe its because they turned housework into a competitive sport?

[​IMG]

I'm still waiting for a complementary event in the summer games that involves ironing or perhaps laundry.

Kyle Brosius and rd400racer like this.
  2. I’ll wach the odd race, used to watch it a lot more but it turned into a damn sh$t show.

3. I go to Atl round every year, this year going to bring the 5 yr old.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Watched some touring car races as well as the Lamborghini cup races.
    There was some great SCCA racing from Indy that included cars covering the whole range from old MGs up through true purpose-built race cars.

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

TVRacer.com

6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying, I was specifically thinking about curling the other day. This is a sport that has far fewer possible fans than Motorcycle racing, but for some reason, the networks have chosen to focus on it, give it it's own time, backstory shows, hired expert commentators, etc.

I realize economics are a huge part of this equation, but seriously, are they making a fortune broadcasting curling?? No, but they choose to cover it. I wish they would do the same for bike racing. Wish in one hand....shit in the other?

Kyle Brosius and 418 like this.
  7. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Gotta scan through the late night stuff and DVR channels like FS2/NBCSN. They've had the Macau GP, some killer Aussie V8 racing, Lamborgini Super Trogeo etc on lately. Even enjoyed watching cart racing a week back (and those dudes just don't GAF :) )

Oh, and BEIN's got the MotoAmerica season review on tomorrow (12/28)

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Mounting a couple of cameras and a handheld or two in an ice rink is a lot cheaper than spreading them out all over a racetrack. Add in a couple of in car / on bike cameras that everyone seems to want. Then add in the possibility of bad weather at the track.

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, Frantz was over the top! Also Jean Claude Killey...just amazing stuff. Bodie Miller was cut from the same cloth as Frantz. I remember going skiing the day after Frantz's run...everyone was shuss bombing the whole mountain....:)

rd400racer likes this.
  10. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

There's 165 curling clubs in the US. It's a lot more popular than you might think.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Motoamerica season review is on now.

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Yes, if you wanna pony up for the premium packages to get Bein etc. or watch online there's lots of motorsports to watch. I'm old enough to remember watching (in awe) The Superbikers on network tv via rabbit ears. That's probably what planted the seed for me to end up roadracing vs. MX.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm older than I want to admit and I don't remember seeing superbike racing on network tv. Motogp would occasionally be shown when it was a special event (when the series returned to lagoona back in the 90s on NBC) but most of the time you got it on speedvision. Before that, it was shown on TNN or ESPN in the middle of the night a week or 7 after the race.

There is a lot on TV now and racing is not only competing with other programs but other forms of entertainment. Football is suffering from this.

Bein coverage is the best we've ever had. By far. It f@ckin' rules!

panthercity likes this.
  14. 418

418 Expert #59

Sport south? would show WSBK. Like 2 months late. Would be watching the Sugo round in December. Lol

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

MSG would show WERA. :)

16. Motofun352

I remember video taping a 250 GP race from Daytona...back in '93. I wore that tape out watching it...that's how hard the hook was set. Still have that tape somewhere, don't have a VCR anymore though.:(

418 likes this.
  17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Not SB racing...Does this jog your memory???

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was going to mention that but couldn't remember what channel that was on.

What in the Wide wide world of sports?!?! Sorry, cracking myself up.

19. Motofun352

"The agony of defeat".....that ski jumper crash always gave me the willies.

20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

TV is a business. There is no agenda other than making money. Look at all the crap that gets pumped into your home via the 1800 channels that you have access to; all of that stuff is on because someone is paying for advertising during it because people are watching it. If no one watches it, they'll put something else on that people will watch so they can sell advertising. Think of how often shows get cancelled or moved into different time slots in order to capture more viewers or to not compete with the same viewers as another popular show. Like most other things, it's all about making money. If there was suddenly some huge demand for motorsports on TV, it would be on there.