2005 Ducati SS1000

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by Don_G, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Don_G

Don_G Member

I have a 2005 Ducati supersport 1000 that I would like to sell. It came from the factory as a race bike. It does have a title with it, which states for racing only. It is pretty much stock except for Arrow slip on's and a DID 520 chain conversion. The upper and lower body work is sharkskinz Ducati 999. The lower is brand new, the upper has some rash on the right side. The tail is a Ducati Performance piece. It will come with a pretty much brand new set of USA Ntec slicks mounted and a spare set of wheels with gently used Bridgestone rain tires mounted. The forks were re built this past winter with new bushings and seals. The gauges are all in metric, it is showing 6100 kilometers on the mileage. It has been a good bike until my last track day. The engine blew up, so it basically needs taken out and re built or a different one dropped in. Not sure of the actual cause at this time but here is what I do know. The horizontal cylinder jug is cracked. The cam shaft will not rotate, the valve stems are still in place and I can see the intake valve through the spark plug hole. The timing belt was in tact and it does not look like it jumped teeth. I am suspecting the problem was possibly exhaust valve head broke off or maybe piston or connecting rod failure. I'm not an engine expert though... I am located around Lexington KY. I will not part this bike out at this time. Not real sure what it's worth or if anyone actually rides these things anymore... I would take $3800 for it.

Attached Files:

2. jswisc

jswisc Pedal Pusher

I race an 800ss so yeah, they're still some out there. Let me know if you decide to part out.

3. Don_G

Don_G Member

I will probably fix it rather than parting but I will let you know. Good to know there are still some of these out there being ridden!

4. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I raced one of these for years.....the cases are prone to cracking around the crank bearing. There is an easy preventative fix but I forgot what it is. Hypermotard 1100 motor drops right in....

Good luck with sale!

Theducatiman likes this.
  5. sbkidd

sbkidd Well-Known Member

Gino, do you know if the exhaust will work with the hyper motor? I have a good motor i'm not doing anything with.

6. Don_G

Don_G Member

Thanks Gino good info! I was thinking a hyper engine wouldn't work because it uses the single sided swing arm.

Sbkidd, if this bike doesn't sell I may be interested in your engine..

7. Don_G

Don_G Member

I would also consider working out a trade for a RSV4 that is street legal, a RC390 track prepped, or maybe one of the Japanese 300's.

8. Don_G

Don_G Member

Drop to $2,800.

9. sbkidd

sbkidd Well-Known Member

Let me make a call tomorrow and see whats involved in fitting the hyper motor, I may be interested

10. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

now I don't remember- one of the builds I had to swap out the cases. They hyper cases may be different. Sorry I didn't mean to confuse the situation.

11. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Hypermotard cases are different as the swingarm bearing resides in the swingarm, not in the engine cases as it does in the SS1000DS. Basically, any 2v (or 4v for that matter) engine swap is a 'direct fit' provided the swingarm bearings are mounted in the engine cases. The list below should clarify what engines are easily swapable.

Single sided swingarm with bearing in swingarm
    1198 / 1098
    748/916/996/998
    Hypermotard 1100 1100Evo
    Multistrada 1000 1100
    Monster 1200

Single sided swingarm with bearing in engine
    Monster S2R 1100 1100Evo
    MH900E
    Hypermotard 821

Double sided swingarm with bearing in swingarm
    749 / 999

Double sided swingarm with bearing in engine
    SS 1000
    Monster 1000
    Sport Classic

12. Don_G

Don_G Member

Thanks a lot nlzmo400r! That is good info to have in case I end up doing the swap.

13. Don_G

Don_G Member

Price drop to $2000.00

14. NinjaRick

NinjaRick Member

I have a race prepped ninja 300 , located in Canada . I can send you my add I made for the bike

15. Don_G

Don_G Member

Yeah send me a link and I’ll take a look.

16. Don_G

Don_G Member

Here is another pic of the right side.

Attached Files:

17. Don_G

Don_G Member

Sold!