1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This week's Pit Bull fatalities:

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Repo Man 32, Dec 21, 2017.

1. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

Absolutely not, because nobody gives a shit if you get a little scratch on your ankle. That has nothing to do with the argument that pits are a dangerous breed. Out of all the thousands of dogs I have probably been around in one way or the other in the last 39 years I think it's awfully telling that of the only two times I have been bitten they were both from one of the known dangerous breeds.

2. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

VA girl - not sure if mentioned but she left the dogs with dad (for a week) who locked them up in outside kennels and didn't take care of them as they "weren't his problem".

A week outside would have destroyed my Shepherd...not sure he would have turned aggressive at me, but he would never be the same if I locked him up outside away from people for a week.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I don't think anyone has said that you shouldn't be allowed to own whatever you want. Most pet owners are not quite as responsible as they think they are. Feeding them and covering the vet bills is the bare minimum for their companionship. Most don't pay nearly the attention they should to socialization.

If you accept those opinions as relatively accurate, there are simply better options for canine companionship out there than a breed that, unschooled, has a propensity for misbehaving.

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

A rattle snake can't help that it's a rattle snake, that doesn't mean I'm going to trust it. If I can leave it alone I will but if it threatens me or mine it's going down. Kinda feel the same way about risky dogs.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  5. SWAT_Spyder76

SWAT_Spyder76 Well-Known Member

Definitely did. Left there and went to a different one the next night.

Didn’t trust a word the first vet had said. While there, after she didn’t know his breed she started guessing at a diagnosis for a spot of fur that was missing. When she looked at me and said “what do you think it is?” I told her “I dunno, I’m not a fucking vet.” We left immediately after, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Get out of here with your sensible outlook. There is no place for your sort here.
    If we are able to stipulate that all dogs may bite, and that most dogs serve as pets or companions rather than working dogs, then we simply need to determine what particular benefit may be obtained by possessing an animal capable of inflicting grievous harm. Pit bull groupies, have at it. Should I post a picture of my nephew's torn neck to jump start the discussion?

R Acree likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Obviously it was your nephew's fault.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I know...make them wear warning labels.

9. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

She does look like she has a lot of Manchester Terrier in her. I can't see enough of her front legs in the pics you posted, but a Manchester will always have two two tan areas on the chest, their front legs will be black about half way down...then tan on the lower portion. Then, there will be a small black spot right on top of their front paws. The toy version will have erect ears when they grow out of puppy stage, whereas the Standard will have button or folded over ears unless they have been cropped.

At any rate, Eva is a cutie for sure. Oh, and don't ever let her run loose....you'll never catch her if she decides to not come when you call. I watched a video of a Standard Manchester in a fenced area that also had a Whippet in with it......The Manchester chased down and caught up to the Whippet.....they are faaaaaast.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

11. Chino52405

A lot of these attacks on adults are multiple pits...wonder if two dogs who individually accept your dominance necessarily accept it as a pack?

12. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Oh, I'm not under any impression that she's some pure-bred Manchester.........she was found shivering in a parking lot somewhere as a puppy. However, she has more attributes with them, so far, that any other breed.

Oh, and for sure the SPEED. She's not even got all her muscle tone yet, but she zips around our yard like nothing we've ever seen. Pretty amazing to watch, as he whole body goes into this streamlined, bullet shape and he legs are just a blur. We've got a friend that sets up those coursing agility courses with the zip-line things and we're anxious to see how she does some day.

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Right so you are willing to excuse the behavior in little dogs simply because the possibility of injury is smaller. Still the same shitty behavior allowed by the same irresponsible owner. So using your logic you are averse to all black people because some of them are thugs and gang members right? After all they are all the same breed. What about Asians...they all born to be mathematicians? White folks...we all just born to be the upstanding members of society or do we go off the rails on occasion and kill things for no apparent reason?

It's a no win situation for pits at this point if no dog attacks ever happened again. They will pay the price for our creation of the breed, poor ownership and inability to see past the negative image that has been constructed.

14. Venom51

badmoon692008, SpeedyE and BigBird like this.
  15. Venom51

You're never gonna get that part of the story. I'm sure the nephew was just waking from a deep sleep when an evil pit bull fell from the sky and tore his innocent little throat out. Because no little human angel has ever irritated the shit out of a dog until they got bit when left unattended. That never happens....the dog just walks up and proceeds to tear ass according to all the stories.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Maybe it's you? My couple of Rotties never bit anyone until they died either.
    I wouldn't have let the female alone with small kids she didn't know when she was in heat, but I would have trusted the male around an infant any time over crashman's ghey Yorkie.

17. Chino52405

Eh...I've known two Rotties (one with Chow mix) who were both females and both female owned. Both dogs had bitten people and had to be walked with a muzzle on by order of the county. I don't know the specifics of those relationships, but I'd be willing to bet the dogs didn't repsect the owners as alphas and constantly felt the need to defend/protect.

18. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Mad libs are fun :D

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

PLUS +++ about establishing yourself as the Alpha. I owned a Chesapeake Bay retriever...180 lbs when he was healthy, 140 after he got diabetes. He was a handful, I had to constantly lord it over him to keep him in line. He was a gentle dog around the family but I always worried about him if a stranger approached when I wasn't around. I got the mailman, the UPS guy and several others "normalized" to him...still there was that chance. One day it happened. The neighbor girl came up to sell GS cookies when he was out. All I heard was a cheaping sound as I was out in the barn. Thought that damn dog got a bird. Turns out he was chasing her down the driveway. When her Dad came back in the truck I offered to put the dog down. I won't have a dog threaten a person without cause. Got him fixed and that helped some.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Maybe the kid triggered him, maybe he didn't. I don't know, you don't know. I don't think the claim that all pit bulls are dangerous is fact. Conversely, I reject your contention that it is 100% on the owner. If you are going to own an animal that has the reputation of being dangerous, right or wrong, people are likely to react in a manner that could set the dog off. I don't blame them.

badmoon692008 likes this.