1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This week's Pit Bull fatalities:

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Repo Man 32, Dec 21, 2017.

1. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I think the other giant piece to this breed argument is: People see a block headed dog and say it's a pit bull. They do not know for certain that it is a pitty that bit.
    If you look at the actual data - Pit Bull bites are down the list about 3 dogs.

You have a better chance of dying while you shove food down your gullet than dying from a dog mauling you.

2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Truth.

Mine is very difficult to walk, especially if deer have come through the night before. The only thing more important than the nose is food and weight has to be managed carefully. Also, if you put 1 pound of food into a Beagle, you get 3 pounds of shit out.

I am a dog guy but I like the cat and the ball python MUCH better.

3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Looks like our Eva, who we adopted earlier this year.

Rescue shelter thought she was a min-pin, too. But with the way she's growing and her other features I'm seeing way more characteristics of Manchester Terrier.....

IMG-0043.JPG IMG_0025.jpg

xrated and G 97 like this.
  4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Im a big animal and dog lover. I don’t think I would ever own a pit bull. I know most are good, nice, well mannered but they are a dog that was bred for a certain trait and they have the ability to act on it. I just think there are more suitable dogs that are better options for pets.

5. SWAT_Spyder76

SWAT_Spyder76 Well-Known Member

An example of how clueless people are, I took my english bulldog to a vet and she had no idea what breed he was. At over a year it wasn’t that hard to tell.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyE likes this.
  6. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

You missed one. Such a lovely breed.
    http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2017/12/illinois_woman_77_attacked_kil.html

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

I would find a different vet. :)

BigBird and SWAT_Spyder76 like this.
  8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

9. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I felt the same way till I got a puppy pit. It was technically a rescue ( mom was a rescue and she was pregnant and I got one of the litter). I grew up with dogs my whole life. Rots/dobs/labs mixes ect. I was afraid of pits until I got one. Still some pits I will not go near. My pitbull like many others has grown up with my 4 daughters. No issues not a single one. Do I trust all dogs? No I have seen many that have attacked or bit someone. This case in Virgina with the lady and her 2 pitbulls, well I really think there is something to this story that is missing.

10. river rat

11. river rat

You can throw rotty's right in the same group. I've been bitten twice in my life, both times by rotty's with owners saying that they are just big Teddy bears that wouldn't hurt a fly. Right.

12. Venom51

You made the mistake in listening to the owner. If you don't know the dog and the dog doesn't know you then assume it will and behave accordingly no matter what the owner says. Trust is a 2 way street.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Again, I keep speculating but no one seems to have an answer for......"what is the draw specifically to a pit bull for your average Joe Schmoe?" What makes it a better choice for domesticated pet than other long documented less-violent-tendency'd breeds.

Something doesn't add up here.

14. Venom51

Yep....

15. river rat

Both instances I did not trust the owner and acted accordingly. I was not interacting with the dogs at all. In both situations I was bitten in the ass as I was leaving their homes lol

16. Venom51

It's already been touched on. Some people are drawn to it by the tough dog image. The protector of the family...blah...blah...blah. Both of which are the wrong reasons to pick a specific breed. Joe Schmoe also almost always over estimates his dog handling abilities so that's a double whammy for big breed dogs but also dogs in general.

17. Venom51

So again I ask...had they been little ankle biters getting you lower down would your response be the same? Happens all the time that someone's sneaker or pants leg gets attacked as they are walking out of the house. Same shitty behavior just less damage potential. Again...an owner failure.

18. G2G

G2G I feel the need

The draw is the same one I had when I wanted the other dogs I have had. They were cute and where able to be adopted. Just like my 2 labs and my rot/great dane mix.

19. Venom51

I have to say that we are as much at fault for any of their behavior as they are. We bred dogs to do specific jobs for us and in modern society most of the jobs for which we bred them no longer exists. That leads to instincts that need to be redirected and controlled. Most households fail at meeting the physical and mental needs of a dog that was bred and trained to say grab a bull by the leather strap and ring through it's nose and hold on until the bull gets tired. I guess there is an argument to be made to discontinue breeding breeds that are no longer useful for their intended job.

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Would you rather be shot in the ass with a pellet gun or a .357 magnum? Not getting shot at all is not an option :Poke: :D