1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are We Alone?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Lawn Dart, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Yeah was going to edit for the whole timing portion. Time is honestly the mind blower for me in any discussion on these types of topics.

2. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I have to agree with Finger-in-Eyehole... If we're monitoring energy bursts 100's of millions of light years away, we're getting really old information because of the speed of light... And if someone is monitoring for us, we haven't had technology long enough to reach anyone of any distance. So, unless there's someone nearby in our galactic neighborhood, or the Vulcans are hiding out beyond Saturn waiting for us to discover warp technology, they ain't gonna find us yet (if they're using our level of technology).

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Well in a way you can already see this in the Middle East. Gods chosen people are the Jews. It’s pretty evident that another relegion feels differently about who are the chosen ones. I know it’s a lot more complicated then this but it does give a pretty good glimpse.

4. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Of course this assumes travel as we know it is required. IMO, any species that could become interstellar would have to find a way around our version of travel. The time/distance equation is too great not only for humans, but relative to the entire age of the universe itself.

gixxerreese likes this.
  5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

They'd have to create wormholes and bend space to travel faster than the speed of light - it's theoretically possible (doesn't violate the laws of physics). :beer:

G 97 likes this.
  6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

If time stands still at the speed of light, does it move backwards if you could travel like a tachyon? IF you could even travel at the speed of light you would arrive at your destination exactly when you left...ie instantaneously. All this is to show that fast space travel doesn't present any significant problems as long as you figure out how to go really really fast....Of course it may take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate your corporeal body but that's another matter....I'm so confused...The only hope seems to be to bend space.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Diversity is good and what makes us stronger. Just ask the Native Americans. LOL

8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Nothing in the known universe can travel faster than the speed of light (so no one has any idea what would happen if you could).

And you wouldn't arrive "instantaneously" by traveling at the speed of light (for the same reason it takes sunlight 8 minutes to reach us). Light is fast but it's not instantaneous.

Yes, bending space is the only hope for true interstellar travel.

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I think any civilization with the technology to reach us now, would be referring to us as Native Earthians in the same context.....

10. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Anyway, the fuel of our star will end sometime in the long future, "we"'ll have to find a way to get to a similar star system and to a habitable planet free of intelligent life if we want to survive as a species. If something else doesn't annihilate us in the mean time.

11. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

This is what you know. But you don't know.. There's plenty we don't know.

12. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

We are our own biggest threat. It's unlikely we'll survive ourselves, to see our star grow and consume us, or anything else bring us harm.

jase likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Dang, that's quite the insight. I totally didn't think of that when I posted about the chosen people. :D

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  14. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

AI is now at the point where it can write and "improve" its own code. How about that?

VintageWannabe likes this.
  15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Y'all need to watch the documentary "Independence Day"

It'll tell you everything you need to know.

We definitely aren't out there alone.

They even tour Area 51 in the show. Also has a space shop and we save the world. Pretty intense.

Funkm05 likes this.
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

IF we are contacted or come in contact with "aliens" I doubt it will be from "outer space." Distances are just too far and what is the benefit in traveling from Planet X to Earth other than for food or to f@ck homboy. Just not worth it.
    If they show up I think it'll be interdimensional beings.

Flatland but with beings that want to f@ck you up.

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I think they've been here, checked things out, saw how fucked up we were and left. :D

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

They'll be back, as soon as Dave gets his hand on a Speak & Spell. :D

19. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

It would only be a revelation for people who suffer from belief in magical thinking. If you believe in science and rational thinking, it’s a dead certainty that other intelligent life exists.

However, I believe it’s extremely unlikely that we’re being visited by aliens because

1. It’s increasingly evident that life on Earth is rather early. Some studies have shown that at the time of the solar system’s formation, life was several orders of magnitude less likely due to the hostility of the universe at that time. When the sun dies, life will be at least an order of magnitude more likely than today. Given the extreme youth of the universe in relation to just the star forming period, it’s likely that humans are one of the earlier if not the earliest civilizations to arise. Some scientists have pegged intelligent life as being likely numbered in the galaxies per civilization figure. That’d still mean billions of civilizations, but that it’s extremely unlikely that two would ever meet.

2. Traveling the cosmos would be extremely expensive and time consuming given current knowledge of physics. They’d have to have a very good reason to visit us. I don’t think anal probings and killing cows would be a rational reason, but who knows.

3. If there are extant alien civilizations and they have the technology for interstellar travel, they’re likely wholly artificial in nature and we’d have little to offer them. Maybe they visit us for entirely mundane reasons. It’s entirely possible that sending probes here is some robotic superintelligence’s version of research for its grad school thesis. Or their equivalent of government has a monitoring program for primitive civilizations. I don’t think they’d be so sloppy as to be seen by our technology though.

20. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

You're talking about energy readings that have traveled an insane amount of light years to get to us. That's completely irrelevant. Our stellar "bubble" of existence is cosmically tiny. Our first AM broadcasts are just now barely reaching our nearest neighboring stars. All of our "transmissions", whether via radio/TV/nuclear blasts/voyager transmissions are moving at the speed of light. Unless we've got some really damn close neighbors, no one has seen us via that method. What we don't know is what we simply don't know yet. We know that warping space/time in order to travel immense cosmic distances instantly is possible. We just don't know how to power it yet. I believe that will happen some day and that it's plenty possible for other alien races to be WAY ahead of us technologically. It's very possible there are beings out there that want nothing more than to say "hello" to us. However, if we look at our own history, anytime we've found something "new", it came with new conquerors. It's pretty naive to believe that an alien race will show up just to conquer us, but it's also naive to believe they won't.