1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are We Alone?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Lawn Dart, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I wasn't trying to bash any religion. Its probably the one I know the least about, but some of the stuff I have read, it seems as rigid, or more than some fundamental Christian groups. I know they won't tolerate it. They'll call alien life an abomination and deny it as long as they can.

2. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Jesuits (Catholic order) are about the only formal group I can think of among the Abrahamic religions that could possibly be unshaken by alien life. I know there are a lot of offshoots of Islam that are much smaller and more progressive, but I have no idea how they feel about scientific evidence.

3. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

4. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

:crackup:

5. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Let's suppose there is an advanced alien species capable of interstellar traveling and other unimaginable (to us) stuff . Are we sure we'd like to be visited/contacted by them?

I believe there was /is/will be life of every form all over the space and time.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sure, why not. Hell if I know.

7. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I want to say it was Stephen Hawking that said something along the lines of if there are aliens out there with the ability to travel to us, we sure as hell don't want them to know about us. Let's face it, the odds of them wanting to travel to us just to shake hands is pretty damn small.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I just want to see their faces when they find out that God also told some people here that they are his chosen people.

Lawn Dart and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  9. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

That's a pessimist's view. If we discovered life on Mars, I think we're sophisticated enough that we'd quickly find a way to travel there and interact with said life, without harming it. Why do people always assume that other life forms would be out to harm us? Maybe they'd just be curious and want to learn from us? Must be some psychological projection going on there.

10. Chino52405

Think of it this way - if we were looking for us, we would have found us. Earth makes a lot of noise and we on Earth are monitoring energy bursts 100's of millions of light years away that are smaller than the first nuclear detonation on earth. That is why I tend to "believe" the significant number of sightings that have happened at nuclear weapon launch sites around the world - because we would have "seen" if another planet did something similar.

11. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Do we exist because of the universe or does the universe exist because of us?

12. Chino52405

I like this. I use something similar to explain why I believe the earth could be both round and flat.

13. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Is it all a matter of perception? Are we limited to a 3 dimension world etc etc. Mind blowing.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You know, sometimes I wish I did a little more with my life instead of hangin' out in front of places sellin' weed 'n shit. Like, maybe be an animal doctor. Why not me? I like seals 'n shit. Or maybe an astronaut... I'd be the first motherfucker to see a new galaxy, or find a new alien life form... and fuck it. And people'd be, like, "There he goes, homeboy fucked a Martian once."

Lawn Dart likes this.
  15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

upload_2017-12-19_15-56-41.png

Attached Files:

Mot Okstef likes this.
  16. Lawn Dart

I dunno man... As humans, we have a really poor track record of "coming in peace," even when we thought we meant it. Even transmitting germs and illnesses to foreign lands that hadn't built up immunity. Releasing animals (rats, pigs, etc.) that end up wrecking the place, etc.

Also, I have always hated your avatar... It creeps me out... Wheel Bearing's has always made me laugh.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, discovering other civilizations and leaving them alone. Typical human behavior throughout history. :D

brex, R Acree, Dan Dubeau and 2 others like this.
  18. Lawn Dart

We exist because of the universe. No doubt in my mind.

19. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

You realize we've only been making noise for around 100 years, right? And these things only travel at the speed of light. So if we were looking for us, we'd need to be pretty close-by in our own galaxy, to have found us. Our signature is extremely small right now, and will be for the duration of your and my lives.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/news/a27934/galaxy-map-human-radio-broadcasts/

grasshopper and Chino52405 like this.
  20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Was waiting to see if anyone brought this up. Even IF another civilization could travel at the speed of light, they'd have to be within 100 light years of us............lol, that's 0.0000007% of the universe (assuming it's truly "only" a universe and not a multiverse).