1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why NoVa is the worst place in the world.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Dec 14, 2017.

1. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Easy young man. what is now Tysons II used to be one of the biggest places to ride dirt bikes around. I used to ride the back country roads connecting Mt Vernon to Springfield (Backlick was two lane and had start finish lines rattle can painted 1/4 mile apart
    That took us up into Fairfax and then over to Tysons Corner on many winding two lane roads that were no problem for our 50cc and 100cc bikes
    Rode around the Tysons "Pits" all day and then home.
    So damn....I am the old one my friend

BTW the bike I rode then was a 66 Yamaha YL1 two cylinder 100cc two stroke.
    Several years ago I found a nice one on eBay and bought it.
    I'm 66 now and
    Riding that bike brings back pretty vivid memories of those days at 16

2. grady anderson

My ki
    My kids went to elementary school at Banneker in a tiny town near Middleburg (named St Louis oddly enough)
    Average class size was 10-14 kids.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Grady, what type of contractor work?

I was thinking of coming in cold, finding something fast that you can flip fast if you decide this hell hole is not for them.

4. grady anderson

Home Improvements
    If I knew of something like you describe I would buy it and flip it
    That said I would be happy to help
    Rule of thumb is the further out west you go the happier you will be. Unless you have to commute in to the Beltway area
    Of the two house I rent out....
    If I had to pick one to live in I would pick my Winchester house over my N. Arlington house in a heartbeat
    Look around far western Loudoun or East side of Clarke Counties
    Berryville still feels like a small town should.

5. grady anderson

How different is the Beltway region? Huge. I remember the Beltway when sections of it near Alexandria were two lanes per side!
    Twinjet1.JPG Twinjet1.JPG Twinjet2.JPG
    Sorry for the duplicate pic. I rode one of these 100cc bikes two up on the Beltway frequently and one up every day to my Summer Lifeguard job in Oxon Hill.
    Got it up over 80mph coming down the hill from Maryland towards the Wilson Bridge. Seized when I got to the bridge. I pushed it across the bridge unharmed (!!) Motor was stuck but I kicked it through. Couple more kicks and it started. "Cool it is OK" sez me aloud.
    Ignorance is bliss as I never even took the head or cylinders off to check. Rode it another year after tht with no problems. And yes back on the Beltway.
    I don't like driving my F250 on the Beltway an more. Hard to imagine a little two stroke screaming along at 50mph two up (my sister needed to get around too so I was her Uber ride.
    FWIW I ride this one on the beautiful back roads between Bluemont, Purcellville and Middleburg with no fear whatsoever.

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I remember not too long after I learned how to ride I came to a full stop in rush hour on the beltway. It is a completely bizarre feeling the first time you put your feet down on the pavement in 4 to 5 lanes of interstate traffic. The beltway isn't so bad on a bike if you stick to the HOT lanes in Virginia. No tolls for bikes!

7. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i remember when i was little, coming from downtown Silver Spring out to my grandma's house in Montgomery Village seemed like i was driving into the middle of nowhere (which i guess it was, of sorts) in the 80's. i remember you had to cross a one lane bridge near her house and yield to/wave traffic thru and wait for the other guy to pass. and i'm like half your guys age haha. now almost all the way up to Frederick its just one suburban sprawl after another. where the ICC is cuts thru the woods behind my mom's house and one of my best friend's neighborhoods. there were paths all thru those woods, we used to play hide and seek and i could walk over to his house that way. nothing stays the same i guess. we rode bicycles down the ICC once when it was all done but still closed. was like a scene out of an end-of-times action movie.

8. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

Please don't send DaveK to Winchester.
    We are trying to keep the grumpy people out.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was there today and you'd have thought I was the second coming of Jesus, the savior of yards and hedges, to the peeps out there. All hail me! :D

10. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

Lol
    Knome or short Santa?
    We are easily fooled out here in the sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. grady anderson

Point taken
    Though as you know Winchester would change him
    Tough also point taken : why bother?
    He could just stay in the Land of negatively that he describes or....
    Well he visited he should know what awaits in Winchester
    My apologies if this has a negative tone but I went out to Winchester tonight for a few things
    If it is not your kind of place look elsewhere
    And by all means get back to me
    if you find something better