1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZX6R No power to coil

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rafa, Dec 17, 2017.

1. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    2009 ZX6R with Kit ECU and Harness.

Bike was only running on 3 cylinders, used a temp sensor to figure out which cylinder wasnt running. Found out was cylinder 4.
    Checked spark and cylinder 4 wasnt getting any, switched plugs and the plug wasnt the problem, switched coils and coil is also good.
    Used the multimeter and there was no power going into coil #4. Besides wiring being damaged, is there any other reason this could be happening?

Thanks

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Check the wiring in the leads that go to the coil....sounds like a pinched wire or broken wire...

rafa likes this.
  3. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Like Marc said likely wiring. Check it all including in the plug in the ECU to make sure a connector on the harness side hasn't backed out. Any other things on the harness like a power commander? Reason I ask is if anything else has been spliced into the harness for an RPM pickup there could have been a scotchlock connector (junk) that has severed the wire due to wear.

rafa likes this.
  4. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Will check. Bike does have a pcv and i think it is spliced into the harness.

5. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Had this problem on the RSV4. Dead/cold cylinder.
    It ended up being a wire going to the coil that was pinched between a hose or something and valve cover. Rubbed it raw .

Speaking of which, i should go ahead and fix that and get rid of the black tape bandaid.

aprilia wire.jpg aprilia wire 1.jpg

rafa likes this.
  6. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Wasnt the power commander, that was tapped somewhere else the proper way.
    Next check will be the pins on the connectors, and if that isnt the case then start unwrapping the wiring to check for issues. Visible wires seem to be good.

7. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

So I printed out the wiring diagram for the bike and was checking the wiring for continuity, turns out the pin was half way out on the connector with the ECU.
    There might be an issue with the crimp as even if I insert the wire all the way into the connector it doesnt lock in place.

Thanks for the suggestions

DaveB likes this.