1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home printers for people who don't print much.

Discussion in 'General' started by SnacktimeKC, Dec 11, 2017.

1. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

I occasionally have to print off bids and go over them with customers but this happens maybe once a month if not less. Everytime I have to print something with my printer it looks like shit due to clogged/dry print heads or whatever. So anybody in a similar situation that can recommend a printer?

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Laser instead of inkjet

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

sdiver likes this.
  5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Also, sometimes you get a rebate on your OLD printer. Maybe check in to that.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I mainly have brother here at work now too.

7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ive had the Brother DCP-L2540 for ~18months now and use it infrequently. it was cheap and it works every single time. its only B&W but i really havent needed color for anything.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got a color one we use in the office, that jacks up the toner cost a bunch but it's been great for a long time now.

9. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

Thanks all, color would be nice just because of logos on the quotes and what not.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're more up front of course but the toner never goes bad so it's worth it if you need color. They'll do pics and such too with the right paper.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I got a refurbished Ricoh SP C250DN (color) for $70 a little over a year ago. At that price, it is a disposable. I think the toner costs more than the printer.

Just checked, now they are $129.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  12. tack514

tack514 Well-Known Member

+1 on the BW laser. I also get the cheap refill dust from amazon and just keep filling it up. works like a champ for 3+ years of in-frequent printing.

13. Jay305

Jay305 Well-Known Member

I don’t typically buy Dell but I had a rebate for about $50 and picked up a laser jet with wireless printing for around $60 out of pocket. Seamless setup and toner is about $18 via Amazon. I’m pleased.

14. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I tried an ink jet a while back, but ink drying/clogging was a pain. I agree laser printer is the way to go. Got one last year at a Black Friday sale, and been very pleased. Still on original toners.

15. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Ink jet solvent based. Print head is similar to open paint cans. If you keep dumping paint out it won't clog (print daily) miss several days good chance one or more ports in the head will clog.
    Laser is a dry powder electronically transferred to the paper and fused with heat.

For infrequent printing, laser is the only way to go. There are two down sides to laser, one is toner cartridges can go bad with bad storage as in heat, and moisture over long periods can be an issue, Take a stack of laser printed papers, stick them together and leave in hot car. They can fuse to each other as the toner goes liquid, ink jet won't but inkjet will run with water.

I tell customers, pay now or later. Now is laser, later is ink jet.
    Unless you have to have color, B+W is the way to go, toner costs not to mention the consumables in color laser jets can be nuts.
    One high end customer had some of his paper pre printed with the logo, used it for his proposals. Worked when he needed to impress.