1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cruise vacations

Discussion in 'General' started by rk97, Dec 1, 2017.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Coworker just went on a 4-day quick cruise. Looking at 8-10 day cruises for my tenth wedding anniversary after hearing her rave about it.

They're shockingly inexpensive compared to all-inclusive resorts. We would NOT be bringing kids along.

give me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Well you do have the Titanic. I put that in both the bad and the ugly. :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  3. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

This is essentially your ship!

Bacteria-in-a-petri-dish-compressed.jpg

CRA_Fizzer and badmoon692008 like this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Good...I enjoyed the food

Bad...you're trapped on a boat until you hit the destination, and depending on which cruise the shore leaves last about 8 hours.

Ugly...you're trapped on a boat. Oh, and be careful of the "cheap" prices. Some cruise lines nail you at the end.

We did 3 and my wife will never go again. She absolutely hated them. We only did it for our kids.

joec likes this.
  5. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

If the all inclusive drink plan is available, get it. Otherwise your bar tab at the end will piss you off.

I’ve been on 4. Had a great time on each one. Never felt trapped on the boat. Shore excursions get pricey. Best times I’ve had was when I went with no schedule or agenda. You can get wrapped up in sight seeing trips and shore trips that you don’t get a chance to really relax. For each port, find a beach spot away from port, grab some sand, and get drunk.

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

You really do get hosed on the drinks.

renegade17 likes this.
  7. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

The drink plan was WAY cheaper IMO... but - when I’m on vacation - I drink like a silly mofo

hashtag vacation PJ don’t care

Scotty87 and CMRA 270 like this.
  8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The good: There's always food and booze available at all hours

The bad: The toilet's drain can barely accommodate a mouse-sized turd lol

9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I think you'd be better off doing a four day cruise and then just stay at the last destination for another 4-5 days and make your own travel arrangements home. I feel like having 8-10 days of structure would be a bummer.

I'm pretty sure if I go to hell when I die, it's a big ass cruise ship. I would lose my mind on one of those things, but I know a lot of people who really enjoy them. To each his own...

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Between the previous threads on here, and various personal accounts I've heard- a cruise is high up on my "not to do" list.

CMRA 270 likes this.
  11. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I didn't enjoy it and probably will never go on a big cruise line again. Everything I don't like about Disney is amplified on a cruise ship.

I think I would enjoy an expedition style cruise or something smaller.

12. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I've been on 2 different cruises and enjoyed them. Each one stopped in Cozumel and everybody in my group both times said they would have preferred stay there for a week. Not sure how the all-inclusive stuff works in Mexico but if it's anything like the cruise I would just do that.

13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Cozumel is pretty good. Scuba diving is primo and the food is very good. We did an all exclusive at Park Royal hotel twice and enjoyed it.

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

i searched for previous discussions and did not find anything relevant. Lots about cruisers, and the two frauds claiming to have been lost at sea for 5 months, but nothing about an actual cruise ship.

15. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

We did riviera maya for our honeymoon.

I hate international travel. The anxiety-driven control freak in me will not leave the resort in Mexico.

I want Mexico prices for some place safer, and English-speaking. Personally, I would enjoy Canada or Alaska, but the wife will demand a beach.

16. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

Ive done the all inclusive resorts a number of times, always enjoyed it. Did a cruise once, that was enough.

As for the resorts, i have been to Mexico, Jamaica, Bahamas, Dominican republic. Some of those a couple times. I like the Excellence Resort brand, good bang for the buck, adults only.

If you scuba, Sandals may be worth the extra $ since scuba is included. Most of the resorts say snorkeling is included, but it is crap, off the beach. Sandals has dive boats.

I just like being able to relax and not be nickle and dimed to death. So the all inclusive is good for me. Only have to get over my natural cheapness once, rather than every meal and drink.

Scotty87 and Boman Forklift like this.
  17. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

The Bahamas is cool for that. Catch the bus into town for like $1 and explore.

18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Hell, for ease rent an airbnb in the Keys. Compared to a cruise, you'd have plenty of money left over to rent a boat for a week too and tie it up at your rental. Yeah, yeah, the hurricane just hit. From what I've seen the Keys are coming back strong. And prices will be cheap!

lonewrench and CMRA 270 like this.
  19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Exactly how I am.

20. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

I'm not a fan, but TONS of people are. The ships are freaking fascinating from an engineering perspective. Here are some thougths;

• While comparatively cheap, cruise lines AND THEIR RESPECTIVE passengers are NOT created equal. I never even thought about this aspect until I was shipmates with thousands of other people...wow.
    • Drink package. Period.
    • Upgraded dining package available? Do that too.
    • WIFI package? You probably should too...
    • Imagine being held captive in a time share jail; you are. The cruise line hawks jewelry, art, future cruise packages at reduced cost...beware.
    • HEALTHY competition for prime poolside chairs.
    • If you can get an all adult cruise, do it.
    • Take advantage of the ports AND SIGN UP EARLY as the good activities fill quickly. You will be sold everything on the private beaches you go to despite the fact that the beach and cruise line try to hold that to a minimum.
    • You're trapped on a boat. If you don't like doing shit except sitting and drinking all day, you're gonna dig it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017