1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Parrish and Westby Racing so far lol Zoran will probably put an effort together out west

2. mkinzer

mkinzer Well-Known Member

Tristan... we need to find an old Aprilia MotoGP 400cc twin. Lol.

3. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

I'm ...trying to put a bike together, though I doubt it'll be very competitive. Like maybe a lot of people I'm looking at just doing the round closest to me (Road America) just for fun.

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

You buying? I'd be happy to ride the thing. I'm sure an RZ/Banshee motor hybrid would do ok too

terminus est and mkinzer like this.
  5. mkinzer

I think Joe Pomeroy stuffed a Banshee motor in an Aprilia Cup Challenge bike. That would be a blast. I raced a 1985 Yamaha RZ350 way back in the day and that damn thing was fast but I swear it had a hinge in the frame somewhere. Lol

6. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

You're way out in left field. LOL

7. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I really don’t understand the point of this class.
    Makes zero sense to me.
    Open it up to club racers... but basically allow unlimited modifications to bikes that the squid and casual race fan don’t care about...
    Then you race on Saturday...

Gonna be the most expensive club race ever.

Ride safe,
    AAron

drop, 5axis, badmoon692008 and 3 others like this.
  8. mkinzer

Sadly... You aren’t the first person to tell me that. I just like seeing oddball creations do well in competition.

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I guess I had incorrectly assumed that this was supposed to be a stepping stone between 390's (or whatever it is in 2018) and 600's. Making it a "tuner class" pretty much prices out younger riders, or anyone else who isn't doing the vast majority of their own engine work.

I hope it goes well, and I might find it entertaining, because I'll probably follow some of the build details, but I don't think it will grow the fanbase. I really thought MotoAmerica was starting to run this series like a business...

drop and DucatiBomber like this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I personally don't like builders classes. Yamaha and KTM have invested a bunch into MA over the years, so IMO the only way the FZ07 could compete with a 800cc bike is to be allowed a whole bunch of mods.

However, I think they are running it as a business, this will bring in more people to pay entries and buy tires.

badmoon692008 and ekraft84 like this.
  11. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I was hoping they were going to restrict it to keep the costs down, so it would be a stepping class for the 300 kids. Basically an SS chassis and limited engine mods to even the field between models.
    When the rules committee is made up of guys that build lw bikes for a living, you end up with a rules package that allows them to show off their goods, and sell a lot of parts...

Gino230, backbone, 5axis and 4 others like this.
  12. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

I’m not sure why some of you think this will be an affordable class. It’s PRO racing.
    It has nothing to do with club racing except for bikes allowed.
    After a year or so, some club racers can learn from the development and technology that will show up, after the dependable builds stop blowing up. Some club racers have maxed out these bikes already and won’t have much to learn except how fast their personal 85 hp twin can actually be ridden.
    I can’t wait to see which Pro teams go hog wild on these builds.
    This is exciting!!!

Not directed at you, Mike!

regularguy likes this.
  13. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I still dont believe that the most expensive builds will be dominating the series. Look at what some of the kids and fast guys have done in the last 5 years on SS legal LWT bikes with plenty of SBKs or bigger bikes behind them.

JustaNobody, rcarson15 and ekraft84 like this.
  14. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

You are aware that first year experts are allowed, right?

Ride safe,
    AAron

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Let's dare not bring up the definition of a "pro" racer now ..

16. Mblashfield

If you’ve been club racing for 5-10 years and sign up for this class, it’s gonna be different.

If your a 1st year club expert and you sign up for this class, it’s gonna be crazy different.

Ever been on track with pro racers in practice?

17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

If you take your time and read the regulations, it's not as open as the press release leads you to believe. Actually, it's quite resttictive. Stock cranks, stock charging systems, stock bore, stock throttle bodies, stock valve dimensions, aluminum wheels only. spending caps on suspension. Sure you can go spend a ton of money. You can also build a decent sbk motor, hang it in a superstock spec chassis and grid up.

Mblashfield likes this.
  18. Mblashfield

Can you even spell humiliation?

19. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Havent there been plenty of 1st year experts on the 600 grids though or even when the xr class was around? I dont think thats anything new just for this class.

20. JustaNobody

JustaNobody Well-Known Member

Where's tuna :)