1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. That sucks balls, nice having one at the track.

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Earlier post I alluded to that. Monitor, then assess the bikes 1/2 way thru the season.

3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You go from zero to butt-hurt faster than just about anyone I've read on here.

Fwiw you're both right. I've seen people making adjustments on track (dirt and road race) prior to post race dyno.

4. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

If you weighed bike/rider before the race and placed a timing light to record a few segment times at a track like Road Atlanta, you could get a good idea of what bike has some HP. Put the first segment light before turn 7 and another just past the exit. Place another just past the right bend going down the hill and study the results. The first segment would show a good riders corner and exit speed and the last segment would show who has the HP. Sure, there is always the draft and I wouldn't rely on this data to make any changes but it would be neat to see it anyway.

Then there is always bike set up and knowing how to adapt that to the spec tires to gain tenths here and there if possible. That is just as important as HP and nobody would ever ask for MA to try to equalize that.

All fun to debate though.

5. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Tuners would not make the 'default setting' the 'cheater setting'. The tuner would be the only one that knows the (super secret) switch manipulation, meaning that the rider only has to turn the bike 'off', to eliminate any chance of detecting their nefarious activity.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It would take a lot more than a post here to make me butt hurt. I don’t give shit personally what Is posted here. I just don’t like ignorant, broad generalizations like “Dynos are useless” by guys who have never owned or opearated a dyno. I will just bow out of this, but you know as well as me that the statement is ignorant.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  7. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Well bit completely ignorant. I don't know his dyno experience or lack thereof.

I think he might have maybe meant different context.

I would assume he meant that the dyno can and has been manipulated.

But I probably should assume because I would just make myself look dumb. Meant no disrespect to you.

8. mkinzer

mkinzer Well-Known Member

Dyno testing without a sealed control spec’d ECU and electronics package is useless for post race tech. You can make a 100hp bike have 85hp for that dyno run with a flip of a switch. You could also modify the torque and HP curves to be way different. I work in IT and did a lot of beta testing for ECU piggybacks and other electronics for motors. Hell I remember some bikes a few years ago that all you had to do was cut a wire and it gained some HP. That’s a $1 toggle switch that anyone could do to manipulate off track HP. On top of that, everyone talks about peak HP. Rarely does that matter. You want a nice wide breadth of torque and useable power across the entire rev range.

9. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

10. mkinzer

drop, backbone and 5axis like this.
  11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

mkinzer likes this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm surprised SV's can't increase displacement to at least 700cc.

5axis likes this.
  13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I'm sure someone will build a $25k SV, and someone else (probably one of the kids from the 390 cup) will beat them on a $12k bike with much more 'standard' modifications.

r6boater and mkinzer like this.
  14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

The only real way to cap costs is a spec class, or a claiming rule.

mkinzer likes this.
  15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Prettttttttty sure that's not the intent of this class.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

I'm just happy they said they intend a bunch of club racers to enter

mkinzer likes this.
  17. mkinzer

How about theses are the rules... “Motorcycle must be 4-stroke, pass safety tech, and have two cylinders under 800cc total.” End of rules.

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Turbo SV700 anyone? That will get expensive replacing cranks each session. Oh and that reopens the door for a Ducati 749R superbike too or a de-stroked 848. Lets just say I would expect those things to be lapping as fast as most of the 600 Supersports with the right rider.

On the subject of club racers:
    The required matching shirts, credentials, spec tires, etc. will not make this a cheap class for your local club racer to enter even if they have a bike that qualifies. Most lightweight racer's bikes are too old to be eligible, but a few might use this as an excuse to build out a newer bike. That will leave them too broke for entry fees and / or probably still chasing the set up and build gremlins if the local MA round is early in the year.

mkinzer likes this.
  19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'm ok with 2 stroke twins being allowed

5axis likes this.
  20. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Anyone know how many teams / riders (roughly) will be building competitive bikes? How many committed folks does the class have so far?