1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla roadster 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Nov 18, 2017.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Just make sure to recharge in between.

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

That the 1.9 seconds claim is irrelevant, unless you're buying it to drag race it.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

then everyone else's 0 to 60 time shouldn't matter either, but it's a metric that's commonplace, and people can relate to.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Irrelevant to you maybe, relevant to me. It's just another metric to factor into buying a vehicle.

5. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

seriously. it allows you to re-live this glorious moment...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

When it is in the mode that gets you 0 - 60 in 1.9 seconds I think the range is about 1/4 mile too so you would need a Supercharger in the pits for between pulls...:D

BigBird likes this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

anyone seen that vid of the tesla s leaving supercars in the dust on the 1/4 mile?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I thought even some of the crappy electrics can do that too.

BigBird likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a comparable video on a race track. I'm assuming the batteries in the Tesla weigh quite a bit, and that prolonged "high performance use" will lead to heat-induced limp mode.

It's cool to see the Tesla accelerate hard, but that's all it does... Plus I'm not exactly thrilled that the $4.9 billion in gov't subsidies is going toward something like this, rather than an actual environmental solution to ICE commuter cars.

Give me an affordable electric vehicle with 150 mile range and honda civic performance, and I'll buy one. Companies are not built on $200,000+ "supercars," IF that's what the Tesla Roadster actually is.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

A racing buddy of mine just leased a Chevy Bolt for $250 per month. That one will go 210-240 miles.
    https://leasehackr.com/blog/2017/10/16/bolt-ev-never-been-better-138-month-0-down

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm good with them working on the fast stuff. It'll absolutely push them to better batteries and so on which will work better for the basic rides.

GrayGhost likes this.
  13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

This is actually a really good point. Batteries are definitely the weakest link in the current crop of EV's.

14. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Without getting into dungeon territory , you're upset that the government is letting US consumers use some of the CONSUMER's tax money to buy a car rather than sending it in to our bureaucrats that will waste it? Also , they already make the car you're describing and claiming you'll buy , its a Chevy Bolt. Unless you were talking out of your ass about what you'd buy...........

Even beating on it at the drag strip , the P100D's range is still over 100 miles , right at 300 miles driving it normally.

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Is that real world or claimed perfect planetary alignment sales brochure milage? The husband of one of my wifes friends has an 85 that does not get nearly the milage that he was quoted when he bought the car. He still loves it and they look like they would be good commuter cars (if you are in to really fast, really luxurious, really expensive golf carts...:D) but from what I have seen and heard the milage figures are optimistic to say the least.

16. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Real world from Brooks (dragtimes.com) and tesla racing channel on YouTube + a couple other guys I know from Lambopower (from my days of driving much more interesting cars than I do now).

crashman likes this.
  17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

$37,000 for the base model. A corolla starts at $18,500. I said I'd buy a "reasonably priced" electric vehicle. The bolt offers "meh" performance at a "woah" price.

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Yes...It's called tilting the playing field...sometimes, government choosing winners and losers. If they gave the same credits to all purchasers of cars than it would be slightly better but still not acceptable. Why prefer cars over buses or trains? Get out of all subsidies and let the market decide.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On the point a to b car stuff - I got in trouble last night because I told Evelyne her Civic was too boring to even bother moving the seat and changing the mirrors to drive it :crackup:

She's had it two years and I've ridden in it maybe half a dozen times and never driven it.

20. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

They need better tires in Germany then, winter tires for the Tesla, even the 21" are only 350-$400 here. 19" winter tires can be had for under $200. Whole wheel/tire packages sell for about $2500