1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RC cars

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Nov 26, 2017.

1. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Funny to hear on a roadracing BBS how expensive toy rc cars can be...

When I retired from work and racing (one led to the other), I started doing rc planes. Spend about 100 bucks a month, for fuel, building supplies, AMA (airplane one) and club fees. How's that compare to tire budgets?

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I have (3) RC-10's. One is my original that I got in 8th or 9th grade and the only original parts are the rear bulkhead and A-arms. Its been converted to a truck for almost 30 years. I picked up a slightly used RC-10T gas truck in the mid to late 90's and broke the motor in half. A friend gave me a complete, running RC-10T electric a few years ago. Some day I will get them all running and out to trash on.

3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

If you’re not breaking something, you’re not driving it hard enough. Ha.

BigBird likes this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I still have all my gear from my 10th scale touring car days. Sold off all my off road gear. I break them out from time to time. They have made some good leaps in technology since I got out of it.

BigBird likes this.
  5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

For backyard screwing around, the Stampede is a better choice than the Slash. We have a handful of the Traxxas vehicles, fun stuff and can be money pits because of seeming endless upgrades you can do.

backcountryme likes this.
  6. backcountryme

That is the blessing and curse of traxxas stuff.

brex likes this.
  7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

a friend showed me his kids Slash a few years ago. Of course I had to have one. ended up with the slash 4x4 and love it. the nice thing about electrics these days is if you stored the battery properly, you can just plug it in and go thrash for a while, no messing around with gas and other stuff. Well until you remember you broke something last time you had it out.

I replaced the velineon with a Mamba Monster a while ago, thing runs like a raped ape on steroids when I plug in a 3c battery. I've replaced a few things with RPM parts but need a new body. the OE one is trashed.

I did get a GoPro mount for it a year or so ago. fun to chase cars around the neighborhood. or dogs. or kids.

BigBird likes this.
  8. Yep. My ceramic bearings I buy for my fishing reels come from an rc place, they must do some volume because they are about 40% cheaper than any Fishing place for the exact same ones.

9. backcountryme

Acer bearings?

10. VXB's.

11. backcountryme

Ahh, I have been on the Acer website and noticed that they do some stuff for shimano. They also sell bearings and ti parts for RC and other stuff. I have bought some ti nuts for the head studs on my XR100 from them.

12. "Most" reel manufactures use at least 2 3x10x4 bearings in them for the spool and 5x11x4 on the main, its actually part of the decision for me when buying a new reel as I have all the tools made to remove the pins and bearings of that size and buy bearings at least 10 at a time. I have hyrbrid ceramics in some of mine and full cermanics on others. Some rods I just don't need to cast very far so its a waste of money for full ceramics. Plus full ceramics "seem" to run a lot smoother without shields which is a PITA because you have to clean them all the damn time.

backcountryme likes this.
  13. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

(sign language)
    You complete me...

14. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Any of you guys get into the gas rc cars,or boats?
    Ive seen the nitro cars tear wheels straight off the rims,
    and the boats are bad ass!! I had 2 friends that had bedrooms full of these toys

15. Venom51

I ran 1/8 scale 4wd nitro for a season. Turned into too much work. Finicky ass little 2 stroke motors.

16. I’ve been watching YouTube videos of this shit.

Now I really need to race remote controlled shit.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. Venom51

You wouldn't be interested. What kind of degenerate would put white wheels on them?
    [​IMG]

18. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

I raced RC cars with my son for approx. 2 years and it can get pretty expensive. We raced 1/10th Scale Indoor Offroad, on clay. Car, tires battery will set you back near $1k for a competitive setup. Then you need tons of spares, tools, more batteries, it adds up. Every year a new update or model comes out making the previous one obsolete.

19. jimmyv138

jimmyv138 Well-Known Member

I primarily raced 1/8 scale nitro stuff. I also raced 1/10 electric but that was mostly local when there were no big nitro races going on at the time. All the traveling was for 1/8. Some of the races would be in large horse arenas that had been converted to massive RC tracks for the weekend. They would have 20’-30’ triples and huge elevation changes. They would build scaffolding up for the drivers to stand on so you could see the whole track. That was my favorite but it definitely got expensive between that constant maintenance, always needing multiple sets of new tires in every compound and tread pattern, and travel.

It’s hard to believe but at some high wear tracks you would have to show up with $1,500-$2k worth of tires to make sure you’d have everything you need for the weekend... and yeah, a lot of the people involved are just the worst. I made a few good friends doing it but mostly it’s just grown men complaining about the dumbest shit the entire weekend.

One other thing I hated was the amount of time you’d spend at the track for a 3 day race. We’d arrive around 6:30am, things would start around 7am, and you’d be stuck there waiting on your heats till after midnight pretty much every day. It was fun at first but quickly got to be way too much for toy cars.

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

From '06...
    R/C Stadium trucks | 13x Forums (You'll notice at least one member has changed their tune. Pun intended. :D)
    Nitros are bad ass, but...e-motors have come a long way. Go E.

I'm still a Losi LST fan. They're developed in competition. It's what they do.
    Traxxas is like Budweiser, all advertising. (Not that they won't get ya drunk, but the hangovers are hell.)

Losi has an electric LST...just as bad-ass as their nitro, w/o the hassle.
    Losi: LST XXL2-E RTR, AVC: 1/8 Electric 4WD MT: Losi (LOS04004)
    If ya wanna have fun IN the house, garage or wherever, check out Losi's Night Crawler. Half the price but a lot slower speed cuz it's a rock crawler. Still a lot of fun, without the explosive yard sale when you eat the big one.
    Losi: Night Crawler 2.0 RTR: 1/10 4WD Rock Crawler: Losi (LOS03004)