1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with cable companies and cord cutting techniques

Discussion in 'General' started by Crybabyâ„¢, Nov 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tell them to hold on a minute, then say wait, does it bother you if I talk to you while taking a dump. It may get a bit nasty but I have Fabreeze

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Anyone try YoutubeTV? Live local channels and some good sports and other networks too.

My bro is on the trial and says its really good so far.

3. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Just got finished with the 7 day trial. To me, not even close to $35 a month worth. Not much selection imo.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I think this is the ticket. You need to cancel then tough it out for a few weeks, and eventually they'll beg you to come back with a super good deal.

5. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

Man, a lot of people spend a ton for cable. Right now I pay DirecTV $55 a month. I have crappy Time Warner for internet, and it sucks, so I am switching all my services and getting Fios again. I haven't had Fios since frontier bought it, so we'll see. 100/100 internet sounds good though.

As for DTV I call and renegotiate every year. I just make sure I am ready to cancel whenever I call, I don't make empty threats. One year they didn't make me a good enough deal, so I canceled the service and ordered something else. A few days later DTV called me, offered me the deal I wanted, plus a years worth of the movies channels, plus NFL Sunday ticket all for the same $55. Overall, I can't complain too much about DTV, I just hate the internet service I have right now, so I need to switch. ATT doesn't have fiber service at our place, otherwise I would try to work that deal.

6. twinn-burner

twinn-burner Well-Known Member

look into SETV ....just google it $20 a month

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If you have options, switch carriers for the newbie deals. If you don't, they don't care.

kangasj likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The question is what cable channels do you watch all the time?

Start there and see how nuking them looks. I don't miss any of them other than maybe espn as background noise. If I really wanted it one of the Sling packages has it.

terminus est likes this.
  9. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

The reviews rip it apart...

10. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Got sick of the ever increasing cable bills. I've now got AT&T internet, a couple ROKU boxes and Amazon prime which I log into from a friends account. $40.00/month. Ef that cable bill.

11. VTRDarren

VTRDarren Well-Known Member

We have Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) and I'm paying 78/month for internet plus 'broadcast basic' tv. The bonus is that with NO dvr or cable box, the coax is just plugged into the back of the tv, we still get approx 100 channels for the cost of broadcast basic. The cable guy noticed this on the install and noted Spectrum is one of the last that don't require a set-top box, and due to this all those channels are not getting neutered from the cable signal. We've been enjoying this for the past couple years, hoping they don't soon require us to get the box. The key is to use the 'auto program' feature on your digital tv when you plug it in.

12. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Ya, screw TWC/Spectrum. They are who I was with. They averaged over a 10% increase for the last four years I was with them. I called them and told them I only wanted the internet package and to shut the cable off and they said my "new" internet package price was going to be about the same as what I was paying for cable and internet before I asked them to shut it down. That's when I said FU and switched to AT&T. OF course as soon as I discontinued their services they started to send me all these "great deals" on new packages.

13. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

14. twinn-burner

twinn-burner Well-Known Member

Yeah I would give SETV a B meaning you will experience some buffering.

Keep in mind you get EVERYTHING....HBO, SHOWTIME, and Eurosport and even a MotoGP channel but the MotoGP channel is very flakey....etc and PPV

I watched the Mayweather, Jon Jones fights....etc

Give it a 3 day trial as it is free.... for $20 I think it is worth it.....try it for yourself...

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

How much?

My method of dealing with the evil cable companies is to delegate it to the woman... if it was up to me I'd have cancelled that shit as soon as most of the racing I care about moved to BeIn (which requires a big bump in package to get with Dish)

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

$25/month for Orange and sports

17. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I just did it today and it feels so liberating! I was also Xfinity (Comcast) and this month's bill went from $160 to $210 for their "Double Play" with TV and internet. I had been considering doing this since the last bill increase (a few months ago it went from $150 to $160) and this last increase finally reached my tipping point. I was actually surprised that they didn't try very hard to retain me. Because I was a "loyal customer" they could offer me another 1-year promotional rate for $30/mo less than my current (now non-promo rate) still putting my bill at around $180. F that shit!!!

So now it's just $79.95/mo for their "Performance Pro" internet service (which has been pretty kickass) and a $30 OTA antenna from Amazon that gets me all of my local stations in HD (and about 75 unwanted stations in mostly SD) for $0/mo. :D

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I have innernets and a $20 antenna. I get 65 ota channels and stream everything else.

Most popular networks like Natgeo, Discovery, BeIN, PBS etc have streaming now. Sometimes from a separate .go site. If your provider supports it.

19. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

No cable, no dish, use the neighbors wifi (with permission), no antenna.

I had the motogp videopass for 2017.
    Best money I've ever spent on tv, and about all that's worth watching.

It truly is liberating to be free of the instant mind numbing stream of puke and garbage that is tv. Free yourselves, before your daughter dyes her hair blue.

jaybirdka and kangasj like this.
  20. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

What about F1, is that available anywhere legally without having cable or satellite? I've looked in the past and never found anything.