1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCHOOL ME ON PIRELLI DOT "RACE" TIRES.........................

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Cobalt Coupe, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Cobalt Coupe

Cobalt Coupe Well-Known Member

I've been running Michelins ( power cups ) for quite awhile now, but I would like to give Pirellis a try but I have a question......................

For example, the Diablo Super Corsa, which I believe is the best DOT "race" tire Pirelli has, comes in either a V1 or a V2 . I've tried searching the website etc., but other than what looks like a small difference in the tread pattern in the pics, I cant seem to get a straight answer anywhere as far as what is the difference between the V1 and V2 .

Can someone that really knows tell me ?

And as far as the SC0, SC1,SC2, SC3 goes, - that is the compound - 0 is the softest and for hi temp days and 3 is the hardest and for cold temp days - correct ?

I don't actually race, but I ride in advanced so I am looking for a happy medium balance between good grip and durability in average conditions.

Info please........................

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

And why are'nt you racing????

Nick_OMC likes this.
  3. Cobalt Coupe

Short version - because the 7 second 275 radial car in my avatar consumes ALL my spare time, not to mention ALL my money, but it's pretty much sold so I'll be getting much more into the bikes on the track very soon.

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

V1 is the previous generation carcass. V2 is the current generation carcass.

The V2 was a major improvement in stability and longevity.

The V1s are now marketed as more of a price point track day tire, but no one really uses them, at least not in my region. Everyone is in the good stuff.

If you let me know what tracks you ride and on what motorcycle and at what pace, I can help you out with compound selection and point you in the direction of your local vendor (if it's not me) to source race channel product.

Or you can always email me directly at [email protected].

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Thanks, Rob.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. Cobalt Coupe

Thanks for the info guys. Metric Mike I have e-mailed you...........................

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  9. zammer

zammer Well-Known Member

My local west coast guy just explained this to me. V1's are old compound (and I assume old carcass). The V2's are literally slicks that have sipes cut in. Same compound, same carcass, same mold, everything.

They are letting the V1's go for $300/set here which is tempting but he said the new gen compound slicks will get 25% more life for sure.