1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grom racers?

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Jul 6, 2016.

1. So how about splitting the Grom and other mini race? Then I can race the Grom with the other Groms, and build a SBK Grom to race with the 80's? :D

BigBird likes this.
  2. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Slow down dude. The big boys already requested that HWT Grom be spilt, don't think there's room for 3 Grom classes.:crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  3. Imagine a 20 Sprint race schedule, where half of them are different variations of Grom races. :D

t11ravis likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We already have a schedule I can barely fit in a long afternoon. Next step would be cutting practice to one short round.

5. Do it. :D

A lot of people skip the first practice session anyway. Haha. It would be awesome to be able to do like 10-12 Sprint races in one day.

Kinda joking obviously, but isnt that what CCS does? I remember in one of the thread where people were bitching about the number of laps or something like that, somebody said that is how CCS gets away with longer races because the races start before lunch.

I could be wrong, it was a few years ago. But I thought that is what they said.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno, never really looked at a CCS schedule. I prefer two rounds, I think it's better for everyone to get the bugs worked out in practice. I do one when I have no choice like Road Atlanta.

7. In all honestly, while i would love more races, i like the 2 rounds also. I like to take the first round to get loosened/warmed up, check out the track, see if there are any obvious suspension/gearing issues, stuff like that. Then in the 2nd one i will put my head down and get to race pace. By then i am warmed up and the track surface has improved.

I like it when the first round of practice is short and the second round is longer. For the first round, i really only "need" 4 laps or so to accomplish what im trying to do in what is basically a warm up session.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When I can that's exactly how I set it up for exactly those reasons. Also the long second round offers the opportunity to come in and tweak real quick on pit lane if need be. When I worked on bikes the rider wasn't up to speed first round so changes were useless at that point unless it was huge (jetting or suspension). The second round he could do a couple hot laps and bring it in for me to tweak then see if the tweaks worked or not.

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

You just lost Broome.

omatter34 likes this.
  10. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Right now Broome is wondering why jets would be in the paddock.:D

Banditracer likes this.
  11. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

And what class he could run a superbike version.

12. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Henry does practice all day on Saturday in Florida, then brief practice Sunday morning and racing starts early.

On Saturday LRRS starts with car practice, then 2 rounds of bike practice. First round short sessions, second round longer. Road course car race, lunch, then bike races. Oval track at the end of the day for the cars. (No time for Groms. :p)
    Sunday we changed to car practice, then one round longer bike practice, then road course car race and four motorcycle sprints before lunch. The main reason we did this was because the folks that had sprint races towards the end of the day were unhappy that they had a late start on heading home after their race. So we fixed the schedule to wrap up racing at an earlier hour.

Link to schedule

13. :crackup:

Actually, I was wondering why they spend so much time with that jetting shit, when they can just put a Power Commander on it and be done with it. :D

notbostrom and stk0308 like this.
  14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Bumping an old thread - what'd you decide? Looking to get a secondary mini bike to pull double duty (already have a TTR setup for my primary bike) - it's either get a Grom which is okay for mini duty but can be ridden around the neighborhood, etc., or get a smaller MX bike that can be my primary MX bike (currently don't have one) and my secondary/backup mini. There's a Grom class already, and the super mini (the largest class) rules are below:

upload_2017-10-10_14-10-13.png

Leaning towards getting a Grom and a YZ250F at this point but wanted to see if anyone who got a Grom for mini duty was underwhelmed, and if so, why (but again, this would be a backup bike that I'd ride when I went to the kart tracks with my FIL/friends who don't have their own minis).

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

They are more competitive with the Stock 100 class, or it's own class, anything else it's too heavy from what I've read. I personally haven't done a race on my one, but was looking to try this weekend possibly.

16. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I still have the 125, but have yet to go to the cart track. Life has been getting on the way lately. I'm just lucky to get out on the dirt bike on occasion, which also happens to be a YZ250f

17. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Mine is a z125 and I do race @ kart tracks. All the fun at 1/8th the price and 1/3rd the risk. Groms/Z125s are competitive with XR100s.

18. firealarmguy

firealarmguy Well-Known Member

TTR is like the cheater bike for the class. Larger displacement, light, and disk brake. I see them do double duty kart/flattrack but not motocross. A street legal 250 supermoto could race kart/flattrack/supermoto/motocross/wera and go get the groceries but I don't think it would do any of them very well.

19. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Location......I have a 150Piranah motor- SSR race bike that is a beast FS

20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I'm in Bucks County, PA (19047) - got a link to your bike's ad?