1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

I too rode/raced 2 strokes back in the day 71-84. I tried a 450 enduro for tough woods riding.. I now ride a 250 2t and will never go back for my main bike. For me, they are just plain ol more fun to ride. Light, instantaneous throttle response, etc.

I'd absolutely get the 300. Awesome, well thought of, fast, versatile bike.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    tropicoz likes this.
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Which one will you not mind picking up repeatedly vs how much damage can either take when smacked up against them granite boulders you have down east? :D
    No, seriously, it might be a consideration.

tropicoz likes this.
  3. Used2Bfast 2

I've seen both exact bikes together on a recent technical woods ride here in the mtns. The 300 is infinitely more capable if you ride anything hard.

tropicoz likes this.
  4. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

That’s actually a good point. I worry about smashing that big old pipe on the front of the 2T, but I’m no spring chicken so the less weight I need to throw around the better. Have to admit I’m super impressed with all the tech and write ups on the 300. My biggest worry is having that 300 rocket out from underneath me. Suppose it’s a matter of throttle control just like when I started racing with a 1000.

5. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

Perfect info! I plan to grow into this so the 300 sounds like a more useful tool.

6. fastfreddie

If the KTM is all it's cracked up to be, the throttle will be very usable.
    I think the 250X might need some coaxing down low, depending on the gearing, but I'm sure the 300 has it when you want it, wherever you want it.
    In an "Oh, shit" moment, a handful of either throttle will be a problem.
    Just get a good pipe protector, it'll be fine and you'll grow into the 300.

A small side story...
    I bought a Trials bike some time ago...had the chance to test ride three different ones. The 250 2t was a dog. The 400 4t was a dream. The 300 2t was an explosive waiting to propel my ass into serious trouble, but that's what it's designed to do...explode straight up rock walls, with a Pro level rider.
    I bought the 400.

7. Used2Bfast 2

The 300, as is other current crop of good 300s, is actually pretty tame, relatively speaking. Wider power bands, different powervalve springs, fly wheel weights, etc all go toward making it more tractable offroad.

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

that 2014 300 xc-W will be tamer than the ktm 300"XC" version .. the xc is more race oriented. Snappier, firmer suspension, with linkage (the W will be PDS, no linkage).. The honda 250x is a 4 stroke. Way tame as well, decent bike, but for $1k more i'd likely go with the newer ktm .

tropicoz likes this.
  9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I would go for the 300 as well but that being said, my answer to most questions is "get the 2 stroke"...:D

tropicoz likes this.
  10. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I was left unsupervised this weekend and took my rims apart to powder coat the hubs. I may have been drinking, and my neighbor works in the powder coating industry, may have talked me into it.

Anyone ever lace a wheel?

11. fastfreddie

:crackup:
    It's not that bad. I bet YouTube could guide you through it.

12. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I just picked up a 2018 TM 450EN

Stoked to ride it once my shoulder is better. I am familiar with the TM supermoto bikes but this my first experience with an enduro model of theirs so hopefully it meets expectations

Stumpy likes this.
  13. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

That's because you are a man.

The Big Red Pig that my brother is finishing up for our 24 hour race. Precision Concepts suspension, Scotts damper, fluidyne radiators, Al Baker/FMF exhaust and a Mikuni TM40 carb (plus a shitload of little things). Oh, and 9600 lumens on the front :)

[​IMG]

terminus est and Stumpy like this.
  14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:Yep. Lacing it is easy. But unless you get lucky you will curse and drink even more while you are trying to get it true. The next one you do will be much easier though.:D

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I actually spent quite a bit of time on that bikes older brother. Those things are tractors! That is a 650, isn't it?

16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Yeah. 650R.

17. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Small group of us got together a few weeks ago and went to Northern Michigan for the weekend. The big one resize.jpg

GSmann, MELK-MAN and tropicoz like this.
  18. rcmike917

rcmike917 Well-Known Member

Nice....
    Years ago we took trip from Va to Marquette/ Upper Peninsula , Michigan for the Parts Unlimted UP300, that was some of the best riding ever. 40-50 mile single track loops, just great riding all day.

Mike

19. Used2Bfast 2

Today..
    B0F1B11C-4786-4102-8E10-66F3924A5958.jpeg 502872C3-4F4D-4109-BE33-07F15983A0A9.jpeg 5112570E-A0C7-4FFA-ADB2-ADD13F1E3E37.jpeg 5E374E09-12A6-4A72-B099-96303345C5E6.jpeg

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  20. Used2Bfast 2