1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When do you call it quits?

Discussion in 'General' started by G Costanza, Oct 7, 2017.

1. G Costanza

G Costanza Well-Known Member

Riding dirt bikes since I was kid has cost me a broken finger, broken hand, L5 disc removal, and a few concussions. Just started riding street bikes a year ago and laid it down last weekend. Tore three ligements in my shoulder and find out if I need surgery next week. Will also likely need another back surgery in the next few months.

After this most recent crash, many of my coworkers have asked me when I'm going to give up bikes. Logically, I think they're right but there's just no way I'm ready to walk away from the sport. That said, I'm always eager to learn from those with more experience. How do you guys know when it makes sense to fix the bike and keep going or park it for the last time?

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

The irony of a licensed head doctor coming to this group for life advice....

:crackup:

SRSLY tho, if it's a matter of riding over your skill level, that's fixable. The reason why you choose to ride over your skill level might be a question for your former classmates.

VFR#52, Newsshooter and G Costanza like this.
  3. G Costanza

Part of what makes me good at my job is seeking out feedback from people who have something to teach me. Wisdom doesn't come from our own ego ;)

Laz, BigBird, VFR#52 and 6 others like this.
  4. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

First off fuck co workers or anything they offer up as advice.

Heal up and ride that horse again.

BigBird, VFR#52, BHP41 and 8 others like this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The question makes sense in that it is a recreational activity. But ask yourself, would you stop driving if you had similar injuries in an accident? Would you stop walking? Running? Going up and down stairs? We have become obsessive about elimination of risk. IMHO, it takes the flavor out of life.

6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Ask your co-workers if they are going to stop using cars if they are in a car accident.

BigBird, badmoon692008 and G Costanza like this.
  7. G Costanza

Yeah I think that's where I'm coming from. This is the only life I get. And riding is an activity that creates peace and contentment in that I'm using the time I'm given in a way that feels right. Hard to understand for my coworkers I suppose.

rocalotopus likes this.
  8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

There are a select few people whose opinions I listen to, the rest can pound sand. I'm not living my life for them. I don't live my life for the ones I do care about, but I will listen, but ultimately the decision is mine. When I met my wife I was up front and told her the bikes were here before you. They are not negotiable.

BigBird, Gino230, VFR#52 and 2 others like this.
  9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Comes from our id?

G Costanza likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

riding motorbikes? never.
    however the only thing I ride on the street these days is a modified vespa...lol.
    One of the better tools for commuting ever! The rare days I have to drive... I feel trapped.

11. I love when people ask this question on a forum of people that race motorcycles. You know the answer.

12. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

You seem to be riding above your skill level. Ever had any training?
    Self taught riders generally show up in the crash statisttics

13. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I stopped because crashes and the involved expenses with them were too high compared to the risk.

14. G Costanza

Many of the injuries occurred while racing motocross which is just part of the game. Everyone goes down if you do it long enough. But yes, my most recent one was riding above my skill level/lack of concentration. I'll be seeking out a riding class or two in the spring.

BigBird, beac83 and rocalotopus like this.
  15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

On the street? If so, there's your problem. You can't learn to ride these things properly on the street...just too many other considerations, all having to do with your survival. Take it to a track. Better yet, take yourself to a school.

MELK-MAN, panthercity and TurboBlew like this.
  16. G Costanza

Isn't this the best place to ask? I'm wondering how you'd know when you're done? You've never thought about it? Maybe this is kind of a taboo subject?

Past Glory likes this.
  17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

When you can't get on or off it by yourself, it might be time to think about it. That's not to say it is time, tho'. You're a bit premature with the thought if you can still manage by yourself. :D

G Costanza likes this.
  18. No, its the worst place to ask. I have kids, I have crashed a lot and I started racing more after I had kids. My wife usually just gets calls that I'm laying in a hospital bed and she drags the kids down with her. I've been riding bmx and riding 2 wheeled motorized things for more than half my life and no one besides myself is going to get me to stop. So the reality of it is, it's on you and it'll always be on you. The point you stop is the point you stop enjoying it. That's the point.

Tell your co workers to eat a dick and mind their business.

19. G Costanza

Lol. That's actually helpful.

20. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Well, I shattered my left arm on my second race weekend at the age of 42. Three surgeries, two plates, nine screws, and I made it back for the last race of the year in October. :) Everyone was asking if I was going to stop, my answer was hell no, I was top 6 in my first weekend and I could see the front. Three years later I won a class championship, I raced for 13 more years, didn't win any more championships but got plenty of podiums. I'd still like to race now and again but it isn't in the budget and the wife never really liked me racing. Rode to Alaska a few years ago, I'd like to do that again with just another buddy.

BigBird, beac83 and badmoon692008 like this.