1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 motor issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by archrider, Sep 25, 2017.

1. archrider

archrider Active Member

So I am having some troubles. Last event first day the bike ran great, second day not so much. Ran 3 laps of the first session, ran like champ, getting on track for the second session it has immediate issues. Bike did not seem to want to rev, built rpm very slowly and would hold at certain rpm's, then build a little more, sounded like it was running on only 3 cylinders. No clanking noises, just somewhere between inline four and v twin. Come in and check some simple thing but no improvement. Take it home and start going to a few things.

New spark plugs (old ones looked okay, not black, not all brownish tan) new filter. Then I started swapping parts over from a know good running bike. Tank with a good fuel pump, coils, pretty much a full air box including all injectors, fuel rail, throttle bodies. Ecu just for giggles. Did a compression test, all four cylinders came back good. Now I am out of ideas. This is a damn near stock bike, only braided front lines and a sprocket change, everything else is bone stock, complete stock exhaust, ecu, oem air filter, air induction system all original.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Thank you

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Hold the starter button in for a few seconds after you would normally let it out.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  3. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

^^^ Mike's idea is really good!!

4. archrider

archrider Active Member

While Mike's idea was good and I appreciate it, it did not solve my problem. Going to try a new coil harness next and see where that gets me.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Or rectifier maybe?

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Or loose connection somewhere? Check for melted/overheated connections from the stator or near the battery.

7. Yeah but I’m willing to bet the battery is fucked. Those are the exact symptoms of a bad battery on an R6. Voltage drops out below 10.2 under cranking and the ecu gets dementia. Now if you’re having charging system issues that caused the battery to go bad ie; not from age then yeah.

8. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Before you try to fix it with a shotgun blast of parts, how about check to see if it is running on 3 or 4 cylinders first. Start it, and let it idle for a 30 seconds. Touch all the head pipes. The one that doesn't blister your finger isn't running.

Troubleshooting a single cylinder or an entire fuel/ignition system are very different approaches and identifying that first can save you a lot of grief and expense. And what year? There have been a few versions of the R6.

RM Racing, TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.
  9. given600

given600 Active Member

Cylinder #3 is the weak one. We used a infrared gun to see that is was only around 100 degrees and the rest for 400. It is a 2009. It does not throw any codes. Bike is currently in my garage as I had the extra parts to help with trying to find the issue.

Battery is a Alien Motion Lithium. It doesn’t seem to struggle to start for a low battery. I can easily swap that to try though. I had coil harness issues with my own bike which is why I was going to swap that next.

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

swap battery.. then if still issue, try checking output voltage. Should read 14vt at the battery terminals while holding 5000 rpm. If stator is going, this is a classic symptom.
    Mike's "start button hold" is especially critical with YEC ecu bikes.

11. given600

given600 Active Member

I’ll certainly try the battery. Easy enough to swap the one off of my bike. Hopefully it is that simple.

12. HellrazoRR

HellrazoRR Member

Don't forget about the possibility of a bad batch of gas.

pscook likes this.
  13. MELK-MAN

.. and check voltage at the battery holding 5000rpm

14. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

Fuel line from tank to throttle bodies kinking and restricting flow when lowered?

15. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

You identified that #3 isn't running. Every tip above would affect ALL of the cylinders. Sorry guys.

You have a problem with either the spark, fuel or mechanical on #3. You said compression was good, we will trust that. Fuel is easy, with it running squirt a little starting fluid into #3. If the rpms pick up, you have a fuel issue. Bad ECU, harness or maybe an injector or a combo. Check for spark. No good? Coil, harness, ECU also possible a combo. Failing (shorted) coils and injectors often like to damage ECU's.

metricdevilmoto and MELK-MAN like this.
  16. MELK-MAN

what year R6 is this ?? 2nd gen or 3rd gen ??

17. MELK-MAN

and emry,
    he said he swapped out all this stuff..

New spark plugs (old ones looked okay, not black, not all brownish tan) new filter. Then I started swapping parts over from a know good running bike. Tank with a good fuel pump, coils, pretty much a full air box including all injectors, fuel rail, throttle bodies. Ecu just for giggles

Is there any chance low stator output would cause this? i know you said it would cause all cyl to run poorly. I've had stators going during a race, bike lost a lot of power. i just don't remember what it sounded like..

18. Not running on all cylinders. Bad throttle response. Irratic idle. Same shit as a bad battery. The diodes go bad in the rectifier and allows AC voltage through which ends up ruining the battery.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  19. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

Bad battery!