1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 microphone mind f@ck

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Sep 22, 2017.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

BOOM! It just switched on me between sentences I was dictating. User error my ass. Fuck this motherfucking shit! :mad:

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If it switched while in use that can only indicate the device dropped out either to a poorly functioning driver or physical hardware failure. USB headset?

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yes, USB. I'll order a new one.

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

If you have multiple USB ports on your laptop/desktop, try a different one to rule out a bad port there

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I've done that. Thanks.

6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Figured you had, but did not remember seeing it.

7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

How long did you have the old one ?

8. Venom51

I wanted to know if it was USB because you should be able to hear the USB disconnect reconnect sounds if you have the system sounds enabled.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

A few years. Not sure.
    Good point. It doesn't make the sound.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

No.
    There are gremlins built into Windows.

11. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

Was it right after you said the word 'disconnect' or 'switch'? :)

12. Venom51

Hmmm....no USB drop kind of rules out the headset as I doubt the mic alone is dropping out. That points to drivers perhaps. Right click on the mic built into the laptop and disable it all together for a couple days and let's see if the headset mic ever drops out.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup: Dick.

Built-in had been disabled since Saturday when headset mic dropped out today.

scottn likes this.
  14. Venom51

Then that indicates that it had to re-enable the built-in mic and it certainly shouldn't be doing that without some user input. I'm running out of ideas without having the machine in front of me to beat on.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It doesn't re-enable the built-in mic. It just leaves me with no mic.

Maybe when you have some downtime someday you can play with it a little and see that I ain't crazy. :D

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Cite

17. Venom51

Then it's an intermittent failure of the device. Grab a new headset and re-test.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Try this instead. :moon:

19. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Go back in time to about 1980, Monterey, California. Find the guy at DR that was too busy with his yoga lesson to see the people from IBM and kick him in the nuts. This won't fix your problem, but it might make you feel better.

20. 27stormin

27stormin Well-Known Member

On a related note, since last week on my work computer Win7, I tried to watch a MS tutorial video for excel and the video would not play through my headphones. the headphones are still the default audio. No matter what it plays through my laptop speakers whether the hp's are plugged into the laptop or docking station. While watching videos anywhere else(Yahoo, Facebook, Youtube) audio functions normally. Bill Gates is the devil.