1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What caliber for Bison?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Sep 14, 2017.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

It is tough balance all the way around. Whitetail deer are much, much more abundant today than a couple hundred years ago and before, because they have adapted so well to the habitat we created with urban areas and farming practices. I think coyotes are more abundant too than ever before. Wolves really effect the natural balance, but people want tons of deer, so they hate wolves.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Disney did it.

3. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

literally none of that is true btw. just sayin...

4. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

. . .or it could be another way to personally verify just what that "organic" label means. . .

IMG_0251 (2).JPG

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That person has serious facial deformities.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  6. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

They just bulldozered (spelling?) the entrance of my apts.
    Lots of trees,and the deer use to cross over to the power lines here.
    It happens everywhere,and leaves the deer no where to go,then we start hitting them in cars.
    I came home around 3 am and a small herd was standing on the sidewalk looking at the construction
    fence,and trying to decide where to go.
    Felt bad for them.
    I showed deer a picture of this Indian dude fro the 70's,and the deer licked my hand,and slowly walked into traffic.
    gio.jpg
    None of them died though,you can't kill a deer with a car.:D

terminus est likes this.
  7. condon66

condon66 Member well known

From about 1700 to 1900, deer population declined drastically. New laws and such began an increase thereafter, bringing the population back today to where it was estimated to be before Europeans started pouring in.

Sweatypants likes this.
  8. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

You sure about that? :Poke:

9. Sweatypants

see above. its pretty easy to find information.

and coyotes and wolves have been obliterated, and even the recent quasi-hardly-come-back has people's feathers ruffled. fuck yo cows, wolves are dope.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Really?
    Whitetail;
    http://www.huntingnet.com/articles/the-history-of-whitetail-deer.html

http://www.deerfriendly.com/decline-of-deer-populations

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-tailed_deer

Pretty much the top few Google results for "historical whiterail populations" support my statement.

Coyotes;

Never found east of the great plain before European settlers.
    https://www.google.com/search?ei=5X...3i30k1j0i13i5i30k1j30i10k1.0.Ogx3tjuLNtc&rlz=

http://www.nature.com/news/rise-of-the-coyote-the-new-top-dog-1.10635

OK, so show me where my statement was "literally untrue".

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

IME animal rights fanatics know positively zero about wildlife management. They go by emotion. Damn the facts and the data.

brex likes this.
  12. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Yup
    Yup, about 10% of the population funds about 90% of the funding for both game and non-game wildlife management.

13. Sweatypants

The irony of talking about management as a necessity, arising from human intervention in the first place, is amusing to me... but keep going...

Nature seems to do just fine if it was just left alone in the first place, BUT since we're here now... i guess the socially acceptable amount if [insert animal here] is the name of the game.

Thanks for moving into the predator's home, killing said predators, then killing the things that the predator used to eat down to a level that doesn't annoy you, and patting yourself on the back for it.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So humans aren't part of nature?

15. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Top of the food chain.

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I don't think anyone on this forum took part in the attempted extermination of wolves, coyotes, cougars and bobcats, or the slaughter of millions of deer for the market. There was no conservation back then. No studies of animals, just knee jerk reactions.

Newsshooter likes this.
  17. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular.In Ga. weve got an abundance of coyotes.We have more now,than I can ever remember.
    Wild hogs have made it big here too.The Armadillo has just recently made its way into N.Ga.
    I'm recently seeing those things mooshed on the side of the road.
    People have messed with lots of animals success,and decline around here.
    Coyotes I have to say are the worse,hogs a close 2nd.Coyotes take a lot of pets,and farm animals.
    The hogs just tear the shit out of all property they come in contact with,and breed like rats.
    I cant wait til we get Elk to run over! If I'm gonna tear something up,It needs to be on a bigger animal!

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The locals around here believe the coyotes were brought in by the lumber companies in order to control the deer and keep them from destroying the new growth...:rolleyes:

19. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

not true

I shot a coyote that had a GPS collar on it which the university of Georgia was doing a study on coyote movement , habits and trying to figure out best practices of control.... because of abundance . I hunt in Alabama

We employ a wildlife biologist and can ask him the updated numbers on everything if this thread is still going in oct /nov next time I'm home but I don't care that much to prove anyone online wrong so I'll probably forget

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Humans are natural and part of the foodchain. No different than beaver changing an environment for the wildlife there before they make a dam or lightning strikes burning entire forests. It's all natural.