1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q3+

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Cybernaut, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Cybernaut

Cybernaut Well-Known Member

For the moment I'm running a set of Q3+ for trackdays, so far just an easy pace till they come up to temp. I'd like to get on pace on the out lap so am thinking of trying the set of warmers (80c- 176f) I have. Are they ok on this tire, are people using then without over heating the Q3?

2. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

No warmers will get the tire as hot as rising. This is assuming your stressing the tire considerably. You didn't mention how fast you are but anything below a fast intermediate pace I would imagine your struggling to get enough heat in them. Then again it is a steet tire so I really don't know a lot there.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Send an email to Dunlop and ask them. Obviously the tires are designed to not need warmers and plus they offer grip at lower temperatures than race tires are so you don't necessarily need them to be up to race tire temps to stick.

Plus its just a trackday, it's not like you need to be hauling ass right out of the pits. About a lap is all you're going to need to have them in a decent temp range to have good grip. You might be splitting hairs I'm thinking.

4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I ran a set of Q3 on Woodcraft warmers set on warm. That seemed to work well. Single temp or hot may not be the best idea for the Q3 or Q3+.

5. duc995

duc995 Yep…

The Dunlop rep said only put them on for like 15 min prior to your session; not really trying to heat the carcass. I personally just stopped trying to use warmers on Q3s because I noticed no difference with or without. However, years ago I was using full-on single temp warmer and it seemed to promote these weird "cuts" on the surface of the rear tire that almost looked like delamination. The "cuts" were perpendicular to the direction of rotation, and would just slowly wear away as the tread wore down - not any issue.

6. Cybernaut

Yes I will send an email to Dunlop and see what they say, When I'm out after 1 and a half laps they are up to a good temp and do stick and yes it's not a race, only track days, it's just I do have single temp warmers and honestly the 20 min session seems to go by so fast that I would like to for go the warm up lap(s) and go straight out and be at a good pace for that reason and also due to a lot of guys in the intermediate group are on track tires and are going out on hot tires. I am at a medium to medium fast pace in that group and the tire are at a good sticky heat range once they warm up. My main concern is being a street based tire will my warmer damage them and as duc995 mentioned maybe just a 15 min warm up maybe be best. Here's a pic

IMG_20170904_121932.jpg

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Nothing to be gained by trying to win a track day, take a lap to get them up to temp before wicking it up. Don't see anything wrong with the tire picture, wish mine looked that good. Follow the dunlop rep's pressure recommendations and make sure your gauge is accurate, I've seen cheapo gauges off by 10% or more.

8. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

No intention to high jack the thread but how do the power rs's compare to the q3+'s for track days?

To the op: I see you've got the rear axle as far back as the adjusters allow. Did you do the other popular K5-K6 geometry tweaks too? (5mm shim at the rear, 4mm rise at the front)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  9. Cybernaut

"Did you do the other popular K5-K6 geometry tweaks too?" yes the bike set up with those tweaks and works really good. I've just been running Q3's to save on money

10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

installing the warmers and leaving them off in btw sessions will keep a lot of heat in the tires. if you have dual temps and set them on Warm, its likely the warmer wont even turn on because the tire wont cool that much. of course, this is all dependent on ambient conditions. if its 85F with no wind, warmers off is prob enough heat for street tires. if its 50F with 20mph wind, ull probably want to keep them on Hot most of the time.

for the first session, i like heating and cooling tires as slowly as possible. so id rather do 45min on Warm over 15min on Hot. in that same line of thought, i also put my warmers on after the last session to cool them slowly. unless i plan to toss the tires of course.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Don't forget also that a big part of what sucks heat out of the tires is not just the ambient temps or wind, but the rim itself. Initially you want to heat soak not only the tire (because it will come up to temp faster since the warmer is in direct contact with it), but you need to bring that rim up to similar temp so its not sucking heat out of it as soon as you pull or turn the warmer off.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  12. Cybernaut

My warmer are only single temp so can't set on low, but wish I could do that as then I know I'd be safe heat range for the tire and also let it heat soak to the rim

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Don't over think this...these are basically street tires with good track ability. A little patience during the first lap is all that is really needed, warmers won't hurt them. If you're not in a real race what's the point in trying for a lightning start?

StaccatoFan likes this.
  14. Every time I’ve ran a q3 I’ve just done a decent out lap, hard on the gas and hard on the brakes straight up and down and as soon as I cross start/finish the tire works fine. My only real complaint of running a q3 is that it tends to get greasy on hot days or if I’m really pushing but it’s a damn good tire regardless.

I’ve never put a warmer on a q3 even in the middle of winter in high desert with ambient temps in the 30’s.