1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What caliber for Bison?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Sep 14, 2017.

1. inge

inge Between fight or flight, one should choose wisely.

Not with paper plate accuracy. .45-70. Marlin has a great platform.

2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Mooses die like anything else, just aim for the vitals. I like a behind the shoulders kinda low so I get the heart or lungs and don't waste any shoulder meat. But mooses are crazy and the cows with calves are the worst. They all have a bad attitude. Yesterday there was a cow and 2 calves hanging out by the lake under my deck. When I went to go to school, they had walked past my truck and were just standing in the road. I had to pull up about 3 feet behind her ass and rev the truck up to get her to get out of the way. They aren't that bright either. I think I need to go out and kill one as my freezer is empty and I don't know that anybody is going to give me some moose this year. I need about a quarter to get through a year.

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

There is only one proper choice, for one thing, forget the scopes and other bells & whistles. Blackpowder baby.

Custom October Country Sporting Rifles in .69 or .72 . Or really get serious, October Country 8-bore Rifle.

On one African hunt an October Country 8-bore rifle took a 545 pound male lion using an 835 grain round ball and a 300 grain Fg black powder charge. The massive ball went completely though the animal front to back. This is an extremely heavy load and I'm sure it produces significant recoil in a fourteen-pound muzzleloader. But, again, this is the stuff that was used in 19th Century Africa and the kind of black powder firepower demanded to produce the energy needed to take down dangerous game.

4. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I still think 1000 footpounds of energy at 100 yaryds with a 200gr bullet is a sound minimum standard. I think somebody still loads a 220 gr roundnose for the 30-06. I have a box somewhere and it might be Federal. Get a 35 or 375.

5. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'll stick with the 460. Almost zero drop at 100 yards. Put a good scope on it and it'll drop a buffalo at 200yards with little issue. Save lots of weight and space over a rifle if that's important.

Honestly though, I don't know a damn thing about hunting. I just love shooting my 460. LOL

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

What's your point?
    (Don't mention my non-hunting status. It's a moot point. I can...quite well, in fact. I choose not to.)

7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Not sure why you would want to shoot an overgrown cow minding his own business eating grass. But for 150 dollars in Cambodia you can rent a rpg and blow one up if you enjoy killing slow dumb animals

8. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I already made my point. If a shooter can put 5 shots in an 8" area at 200 yards, that isn't what a knowledgable hunter would consider "maiming" an animal with a vital area LARGER than 8". All I'm saying is that your comment is a little radical. Im not trying to get in a pissing match.

bored&stroked likes this.
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Gotcha. You do understand my point though, right? I'll reiterate...
    I find it distasteful seeing piss-poor marksmanship qualifying someone to put an animal down.
    (You don't have to agree with it.)

I do see your point, but that's not me. I think it borders on unethical if you can't drop it where it stands. (The meat tastes better when it's not pumped full of adrenaline, too.)
    I realize ethical hunters want to make the clean kill and it doesn't always happen, but 4moa is lousy marksmanship to set as a bar. The disgrace is on the agency running the show.

Sorry to carry on. You can have the last word. ;)

10. condon66

I'll take you up on the offer to comment furthur. Thank you.
    If you put the bullet, perfectly, right through the heart, which I'm guessing you would call desirable shot placement, it most times WILL NOT drop where it stands. Most times an animal drops where it stands is when a POOR shot is made and the bullet separates the spine.

11. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

WTF have you ever shot that didn't drop from a heart shot?
    Ive shot plenty of deer,hogs,looters,squirrel,mice...They all fall immediately from a heart shot..
    I may have lied about a few of those..
    The heart shot always drops em on the spot..Sure,they may throw a few donuts,but we aint walking far.
    The heart is the Carillo rod of aminals

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I've seen deer shot through the heart run like fkn gazelle for hundreds of yards. Yet others drop like a wet dish rag. No rhyme nor reason.

ToofPic likes this.
  13. condon66

There is enough oxygen in their muscles for them to take off and run. What do you think? A heart shot kills them INSTANTLY? No, it doesn't. I've shot deer absolutely through the heart and they run 30-50 yards and drop.

Steeltoe likes this.
  14. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I have too..Guess not manly deer? Seriously,I never Once had to track a heart shot.
    I was taught to shoot just behind the shoulder for the heart,and never had one run off.
    I'm not doubting you,but I'm hunting white tail in the south with limited arsenal.
    The only problems Ive had were severed spines,and finishing a poorly shot animal on my part.
    That made me not want to hunt anymore.I don't want anything to suffer.

15. condon66

I once shot a deer with a bow at 7 yards out of a tree stand and INSTANTLY saw a crazy amount of blood just blow out the entry hole. Upon gutting it I saw that the heart was totally severed right at the top. Nothing any longer connected to carry blood to or from the heart. It ran 40 yards before it went down while running.

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

To eat them. :)

Hunters buying licenses and hunting equipment, fund about 90% of the habitat and management of both game and non-game animals in most states. Non-hunters contribute little to supporting the animals they like so much...

condon66 likes this.
  17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I'm not into killing animals, but having grown up in upstate NY I get the need to keep the populations controlled. In winter there is no food, they all starve. That sounds like a pretty crappy way to go for a nice big animal if you ask me.

18. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

.17hmr....you knuckle dragging, cretins need to learn what shot placement is. You and your "buffalo calibers!" I've taken down 2 bison with one round at 600 yards on more than one occasion, ffs.

(this is what this particular beeb thread was lacking I feel...carry on)

ToofPic likes this.
  19. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

My first hunt I took a deer at 40 yards, fucker took off into the woods. I'd never hunt 4legged animals before that and thought my youtube university degree failed me. finally tracked the thing down 50 yards into the woods where it wrapped itself around a tree. I felt so bad that I made such a shitty, unethical shot and made the animal suffer. I continued my Youtube guidance and field dressed the deer, the heart came out in 3 pieces where the bullet decimated it along with the 1/2" hole in left lung.

Motofun352 and condon66 like this.
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't know why a deer/moose/buffalo/etc would be any different than a person. The only way to turn it off like a light switch is to sever the brain stem.

badmoon692008 and condon66 like this.