1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tally V3, Roy Chapman

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by automan, Aug 21, 2017.

1. automan

automan It's all about the drive!

Does anyone know about the V3 race, Saturday at Tally, and why Roy Chapman, 778, dnf'd?
    I have not been able to reach him.

Thx

2. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

He left his beers unguarded, and knew I was lurking... had to get off track to hide them .....

V5 Racer and automan like this.
  3. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Umm, I'll let Roy tell the full story, but I was pitted next to him. I was working feverishly on the BSA with Roy's Chief Mechanic, Joe Gimpel, and I looked up and saw the V3 bikes making their way around on the warm up lap. I looked over at Roy's pit, and Roy was still putting on his costume, while two friends tried to gas and ready his bike. I thought to myself: that ain't right. Needless to say, it was, umm, entertaining from that point forward . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

4. automan

Interesting,

5. automan

I will have to wait til he comes by my store, I guess

6. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

He had a severe leg cramp.

automan likes this.
  7. automan

Thx for info

8. VintageRacerRoy

VintageRacerRoy Well-Known Member

Well, not only was I quite rusty on track but off track also. Did not do a good job keeping up with the change in race schedule (combined solos) and maintaining hydration (hottest day at any track I can remember). The corner workers must have thought I was crazy with my antics on the bike trying to work out the leg cramp. I did try one more lap, but was already a good bit behind with the late start, and the cramp would not ease up. Just better to pull off and get out of the way. Thanks for the concern and sorry for the lack of communication over the weekend. I was off grid until later last night due to the celestial event of the century.

VFR#52 likes this.
  9. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Change your footpeg placement . . . it will be more comfortable. :Poke:

Cheers,

Dave

10. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Like a set of Harley cruiser pegs.... Stretch those legs out

VFR#52 and motoracer1100 like this.
  11. MC Motorsports

MC Motorsports Active Member

Oldamishre
    Oldamishremedies.com. works like a champ. Never go racing without it.

VFR#52 likes this.
  12. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I had major leg cramping issues as well. I think my pegs are too low and to far forward. The more I try to hang off the more cramped my legs get. I will be making new rearset brackets before the ahrma weekend at Tally. I also wore a hole in my left boot on sunday.

13. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Roy's getting old......Ya'll quit pickin on him. He's OK, ya just gotta cut him alittle slack every-once-in-awhile.:):Poke:

I'm also impressed to hear no one is throwing good ol' Joe Gimple under the bus!

14. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I am loathe to throw someone who helped me for hours on the BSA to get it ready for the race. The week leading up to Tally was a continual thrash to get a second bike ready, following the venture to Mosport and leaving the No. 1 BSA in Detroit with Dr. Hate McDead. New crank, piston, cylinder, a head I'd never run, setting squish and trimming the piston, finding, making and adjusting pushrods, . . . . After I put a heat cycle on it and determined it was detonating, I lost the clutch. Sheared basket key due to galled mainshaft. Engine out of the bike, dismantle tranny, find appropriate spares, reassemble . . . bike won't pump oil thru the oil filter. Bypass the oil filter and it oils. At 10 AM Friday, I determined I had a bike for Tally. get to Tally, and the clutch throwout is wonky. Super tight to lose and back to tight. WTF? Still detonating and dead lean. Gimpel worked with me diagnosing issues, helped sort the problem (wrong size ball bearing in the throwout cup (-0.030" too small)), and helped me get the bike ready for my race. Probably to Roy's detriment - had Joe been attending to Roy, he might have been a wee bit more aware.

So, I raise a glass to Joe Gimpel and thank him again for all his help.

BTW - Jerry Duke and Jack Houman put on their A games for the GP500 race. Jerry took off, after his monster wheelie, and rode spectacularly for 3 laps. Then Jack came by us and did the same for 2 laps. I figured I needed to get with the program, passed Jack heading onto the back straight and put my head down. I guess he figured he'd save himself for Dougie in the GP350 race because he faded. Jerry had exhaust system issues and faded as well. Good thing, because it was HOT! 10 laps was all I wanted - 8 or 9 to finish would have been just fine.

Sooooo, another weekend passed, and I'm changing things for Road A in September.

Cheers,

Dave

yamageezer and WERA33 like this.
  15. CharlieY

Very cool you made it thru all that Dave, bravo man.

Joe Gimpel, thumbs up for sure.....I like that guy...Chapman is OK too. :)

Go Jack Houman!.....I don't know Jerry I don't think, does he run a lil duc like Bowie?...friends with DC on the RD?

When I grow up I wanna be like Dave Rutherford.:beer:

yamageezer likes this.
  16. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Charlie -

I know you say that with tongue stuck firmly in cheek. :crackup: But, thanks.

One otrher thing - to give credit where credit is certainly due - before I could finally assemble that particular engine, I needed REAL machinist help. Turns out when I put the crank in the cases, and put the last 1/8th turn on the case bolts, the crank locked up tight as a drum head. Ed Valiket said the latest crank pins from Jolly Old are less than exacting (imagine!), and what I needed to do was take 0.010 - 0.015" off the right side flywheel cheek, and the way to do that was chuck up the assembled crank/flywheels/rod in my lathe, turn it slowly and remove the offending material. Hmmm, . . . a 25 lb flywheel crank assembly with a 6-1/2" Ti rod spinning in my lathe . . . . Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. But, I know a guy who can do damn near anything on a lathe . . . Enter Roy Chapman. Roy came over early Sunday AM, we watched the MotoGP race, and then he proceeded to give me a machining lesson taking the offending 0.010" material off the right side flywheel cheek. Pretty damn cool and impressive, and much appreciated.

Sooooo, he may be late to 3d call, and he may cramp up midway thru a race, but he is a damn good machinist and generous with his time. Thanks Roy!

Cheers,

Dave

17. CharlieY

Yo Dave.....umm...no....actually, I was being serious man! You do some cool stuff.;)

Yeah, Ol Roy is da man on those machines. I always enjoy his company....I do poke at him sometimes, all in fun....he knows that:rock:Yo Roy! Hows that Montesa?

Sorry for the threadjack.

Later

18. VintageRacerRoy

VintageRacerRoy Well-Known Member

Dave, you are quite welcome, thanks for the kind words. The building of these machines is as fun as racing them. Charlie, the Montesa is safe and sound in the secret storage area. Rumor has it a very special bike is on its way for a full on build. More to come on that story once it begins. One of the coolest things I have ever had a chance of building.

19. CharlieY

Nice Roy, I look forward to seeing it. You have done some real nice work in the past, and it sounds like you are kicking it up a notch.

Still got the flathead? How about Joes old Indian? I'll never forget Gimpel letting me ride his XR1000....does he still have that thing?

I hope Pam is good, and the new dog.

Later gents