1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project LW Entry for TT Isle of Man

Discussion in 'General' started by Olympus Racing, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Glad you're home and healing!

Olympus Racing likes this.
  2. Olympus Racing

Olympus Racing Well-Known Member

hey guys, just wanted to get a detailed update on what happened.

When I came back from the practice lap we noticed I am barely using any suspension travel and I complaint that the bike feels too stiff. However the weather looked bad for the rest of the week and we needed 6 full laps to qualify for racing, so I decided to just go back out on moderate pace and get another lap under my belt and get the suspension sorted after
    I was moving very smooth and passed a few big bikes comfortably on the brakes in some turns, with minimal risk and no scary moments. Coming into May Hill (May Hill is the corner in which I crashed, its an uphill right hander, decent speed, very bumpy corner (possibly one of the bumpiest in the entire course). I held a good line and decent speed (words of experienced rider who happened to be behind me at that moment). I hit the first bump and it move my wheel to the left, i tried to relax on the bars with hopes of finishing the turn and not upsetting the bike more, but then i hit a second bump and the front end washed out completely. I landed on my right shoulder and broke it on impact immediately, I slid straight into a 5ft tall, 4ft long stone wall that has been there for a few hundred years. Remained as relaxed as possible and managed to put my feet ahead of as i collided with the wall. Unfortunately that was not the end of it. The bike was sliding 2 ft to my left, once the bike reached the curb the front wheel was the first point of contact which resulted the bike to turn and hit me from the bottom of lower back going up. it also lifted part of the air fence which landed on me.
    I was taken to the hospital by helicopter, did not lose contact or "went to sleep" at all. I was able to describe in great detail my pain (i have broken everything that was broken before).
    While on the helicopter, I notified the staff that I believe my left shoulder is dislocated and in enormous amount of pain. That was confirmed immediately. A great gentleman tried to put my shoulder back but it was almost impossible with my race suit still on.at this point i was told that they would have to cut my race suit, in which i responded: "you cannot do that, because I only have one suit with me and I need to practice tomorrow". I was looked like I am insane and was told in a very apologetic way that I will not be riding any time soon. During putting my shoulder back in I squeezed my teeth and unfortunately broke a tooth but once the pain went away from that shoulder I was able to inform them about potential broken ribs, trouble in breathing, extreme pain in my other shoulder, heel and knee.
    Arrived at the hospital, refused additional pain meds and requested immediate cat scan. Cat scan confirmed broken scuptula (not sure how to spell that), 5 left ribs, air leak/lower part of left long collapsed that was operating at 82%, soft tissue damage above left knee, bone bruise and soft tissue damage on left heel. Around that point I also noticed a lot of blood on me and I was told I have pretty decent injury on my chin. Received 7 stitches on that and got a phone to facetime my mom and girlfriend (phones calls are no longer convincing enough that I am ok).
    Initial diagnosis estimate 5-7 days to be able to stand without assistance, 10-12 days for the lung to be ok and maybe another week to get clearance to fly back home. I was prescribed antibiotics to protect the lungs and further issues and some other pain killers which i decided to not take until 48 hours later.
    I was able to stand and walk to my bed the same night, get up frequently to go to the bathroom and walk around the hospital (i hate staying in bed). Within 12 hours my lung was 92%, at 18 hours it was back at 100%. No fever, no other issues. 36 hours since I was admitted, I was discharged and left the hospital. The house I was staying at was less than 100ft from the course and grandstands. As a result I spent the next two days listening to every announcement, every bike practicing etc. On Day #4 I couldnt take it any more. Made my way down to the paddock, found a spare set of leathers, made my way in them (took 20 mins and 2 other people to help me), found a bike that someone was willing to let me ride and walked up to race control and requested to go out for qualifying. The called the hospital, doctors said absolutely not. I insisted so they decided to perform a "physical test" based on my injuries. I was asked if I am capable to walk up to the control tower (60 steps) I said absolutely. Made it up, heavy breathing enormous amount of pain, doctor asked if I wanted to continue with the test, told me she admires my commitment but she doesnt think we need to continue. I said what's next, she said how long ago did you brake your shoulder? I said 4 days ago, she said do me a favor, take your shirt off. I struggled and obviously wasnt able to do so. She apologized and explained situations that my inability to move my shoulder would create dangers to myself and others. I respect all officials decisions and the fact they even let me try.
    Spent the next few days supporting my friends on the paddock and cheering for them.
    I was sad, but certainly happy to be alive. I keep telling myself that it happened this way to protect me from something bigger.
    If finances and new job allow it (remember I already quit two jobs for this) I plan on returning back in 2017. Return smarter, fitter and more mature.
    that is all for now. Thank you to all who helped me get there, followed the adventure and supported one way or another.
    I am 100% responsible for my crash and other mistakes I made during my preparations for this. I learned a lot and I cannot wait to be back, do things right and hopefully meet my expectations for myself.

Phl218, sowega, 83BSA and 3 others like this.
  3. Olympus Racing

Update from Alan:
    Quick update for everyone
    We finally, aftert trying since Friday, got the Hospital to reply to the insurance company
    Hospital says I need to fly with a physician in a horizontal position. This complicates the flight booking process considerably along with the collapsed lung I had durung surgery
    Anyway, 1st piece of luck, there is a physican in London who was heading back to the US, they have diverted him to Liverpool and he should be here this afternoon :)
    Hopefully things will move faster now and we can be home by the weekend.
    Will update when we have details

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow, you are tough or crazy to want back out there in that condition. Glad you are getting better.

5. Olympus Racing

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Bravo!

7. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

A little over five weeks later he's playing Tweety Bird and being chased by Sylvester.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Olympus Racing

9. Olympus Racing

Congrats to all who will be racing at the IOM TT & MGP this year.
    After lots of thinking I have decided to withdraw my entry. The desire to race on the roads is still strong, but other priorities must take place now. I may return there one day, I sure as hell will try, but for now I must make room for those who can afford it on all counts.
    Def not giving up on this dream though.

jrsamples and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  10. caferace

caferace No.

Translation: Because new wife. :D

-jim

11. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Snap!

12. Olympus Racing

Not at all. She's actually prettt upset too because she would come along this year. Career and $ really the top reasons.

13. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Good, gives me enough time to save up some money to tag along as pit crew. As long as Gino is there. With Don Julio.

14. Olympus Racing

good luck to all participants! ADAM BAUER representing USA as a Newcomer this year completed his newcomer lap tonight!

pscook and caferace like this.
  15. Olympus Racing

Adam currently 17th!!!!!
    Also NEW NEWCOMERS LAP RECORD

16. gpstar748

Newcomers lap record?

17. Olympus Racing

Brad Vicars if I heard right did a new newcomers lap record

18. Olympus Racing

Adam Bauer was able to finish 15 in Newcomers A! Spectacular performance.

19. gpstar748

Like a newcomers class lap record? What was it?

20. Olympus Racing

118.76 is the new one I believe.
    Previous one was from 2010