1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

powdercoating?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'General' started by theadamwesson, Aug 16, 2017.

1. theadamwesson

theadamwesson Active Member

I'm about to powdercoat my frame, swingarm, subframe, and engine mount. Dealer told me to just leave old swingarm bearings in as it makes it easier for removal and replacement after powdercoating. True? False? Does it really matter?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

well typically you have to heat the part to remove the needle bearings so I might do that before its refinished.
    Not really a fan of the PC unless the coater caps bearing areas from the blast process.

theadamwesson likes this.
  3. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I yanked mine before I had them do the PC. Just because it cost me less and less hassle for the powdercoater. They have been in business for a long time so they know where to cap off but I go over it with them before hand. No issues.

Attached Files:

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

do you polish or finish those areas like the steering stem or swingarm axle
    holes?

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Leave bearing in while blasting- maybe. I don't know why you'd want them in there for the coating process... why take a chance on some grease seeping out in the oven and ruining the finish? Saves a few nickels worth of high temp tape I guess.

6. theadamwesson

theadamwesson Active Member

VERY good information...I'll get them removed before I do it. I was leaning more that direction, but this sealed the deal for me! Thanks

7. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Total bullshit. Yank em. Any powdercoater worth a nickel will plug/mask all that off and not having the bearing in there will make that much easier.

8. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I wouldn't rum anything through my ovens with a bearing in it. Bearing grease runs at 750 degrees. Any grease that runs will keep the powder from sticking. They should have plugs for the holes or at least a mask to use to keep from getting powder on the bearing race surface.

9. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

Make sure they don`t abrasive blast any bearing races.

10. drewnabobber

drewnabobber Well-Known Member

I would leave the races in place but remove the bearings and clean up any grease. Then remove the races after PC and install new ones. I took out the bearings and races and had to clean up the headstock and swingarm to get new bearings to seat properly.

11. G2G

G2G I feel the need

no

12. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Same with rims. Had my 16.5 Marchi powdercoated to KTM orange. Just removed the bearing and spacer and the powder coater did the rest. If they know what they are doing they will know what to mask off. But just in case go over it with them before hand. Also don't for get threaded spots or spots where you need things fluch like a rotor to the rim spots.

Attached Files:

• rim2.jpg
      rim2.jpg
      File size:
      338.2 KB
      Views:
  13. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Yea, be careful. I had a guy tell me he knew what he was doing, but on my rear wheel he taped off only the bearing and powdercoated inside the cush drive and now the sprocket carrier doesn't fit. I need to find a way to remove it now. :mad:

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dremel. Sands right off.

G2G likes this.