1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead pool stunt rider killed, was female racer. rip Joi Harris

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Aug 14, 2017.

1. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

GODspeed!!

2. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

Joi "Sj" was a Great racer and a great friend.
    Prayers for Family and Friends and those whose lives she touched.
    This is a sad day. RIP Racer.

Razr likes this.
  3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

RIP young lady.

4. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Race in Peace.

6. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Godspeed

7. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

RIP racer...

8. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

A passionate woman in the pits. A force to be reckoned with on the track. RIP.

9. JoeR

JoeR Well-Known Member

Very sad, RIP racer.

It may not be the time/place to bring up (admin do your thing if needed), but when I heard about it I couldn't help but wonder what kind of "stunt" they had her doing. I do not know Joi or anything about her ability level other than that she was a good racer, but being a good racer on the track doesn't mean you are a "stunt" person.

Did they put her in a dangerous situation or have unrealistic expectations? I've read some rumors that this was her first gig and that they did multiple takes of the "stunt". Did they pressure her to ride beyond her comfort level for the sake of the movie? I think there are a lot of people out there, including movie directors, that don't understand motorcycles or the risk involved with certain maneuvers and/or the surrounding environment. Maybe they think everyone is a "12 o'clock" boy and that doing wheelies through traffic with no helmet is an acceptable risk. This filming was obviously done in an urban environment with no 'runoff'. I question the safety measures, and whether they took her experience into account fully.

Sorry to speculate, I'm normally all for people making their own calls when it comes to risky stuff, and don't like blaming others when things go wrong as a result, but this case rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I'm sure the lawyers will figure it out though.

Condolences to her family.

nhammond54 likes this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Movie stunt crews are usually incredibly professional but shit happens.

11. JoeR

JoeR Well-Known Member

I would think so too considering the liability, but I just read that she wasn't wearing a helmet...

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a movie stunt, depends on what the role calls for. They do the best they can but if the character isn't wearing a helmet then neither is the stunt rider.

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

CGI is so cheap these days... removing a helmet would be easy.

nhammond54 likes this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I heard something on TV yesterday where they were discussing the fact that too much CGI he starting to turn off the fans, so real stunts are on the rise again.

V5 Racer likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. And if done right there isn't anything more dangerous about a no helmet bike stunt than jumping off buildings or any number of things stunt people do.

16. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Got the call today about this. She was getting faster and faster every weekend out there with us:( Last time at Summit I had to fix her 300s rear tire as she was getting ready to roll it over a cliff with anger:D........:( RIP SJ

17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Oh, I get it. The lack of practical effects in the new Aliens movie pissed me right off for example. But I would have to think with the way society is getting more and more risk adverse and loving to fling liability at everything that the risk / reward ratio would be driving a move to CGI where possible.

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

From the witnesses descriptions it sounded like they had built some sort of ramp coming down stairs that she needed to negotiate. They had rehearsed the scene 4 times prior and she apparently completed it OK, on the 5th take they said she lost control at some point and inadvertently grabbed a handful of throttle sending her over a curb and through a glass wall on the ground floor of the adjacent building, and as the description mentions her character she was stunt doubling for wasn't wearing a helmet so neither was she.

Apparently good CGI is not cheap at all. In the upcoming Justice League movie they had to CGI out a mustache that is on Superman's face because the actor who plays him was contractually obligated to have one for another movie he was filming simultaneously.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...n-mustache-removal-cost-25m-article-1.3351896

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Awww man.......poor SJ:(:(

20. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

RIP racer. Sounds like she was doing well for herself and living life to the fullest, damn shame.